• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB Records: Worst Team Batting Averages

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The modern record shows the 1910 ChiSox with a team average of .212
The all-time low goes back to a Washington team in 1888 with an average of .207

With our BA currently just a hair over the Mendoza Line...again...I know there are lots of games to go, but unless we see some changes, we could be looking to surpass things and put ourselves in the history books.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Dead last in OBP
Currently trying to find the record for worst team OBP in a season. Not as easy to find...unless I gotta redo the search.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The modern record shows the 1910 ChiSox with a team average of .212
The all-time low goes back to a Washington team in 1888 with an average of .207

With our BA currently just a hair over the Mendoza Line...again...I know there are lots of games to go, but unless we see some changes, we could be looking to surpass things and put ourselves in the history books.

I have .266 from the 1908 Brooklynn Superbas.

Seattle's been sub-.300 OBP before with .292 in 2011 and .296 in 2012.

It isn't uncommon for teams to end up under .300 OBP. Usually at least 2 or more teams every decade acheive it. The longest the league went without one was from 1990-2010. Though, there've been a lot of them the last 5 years or so, and only 1 year in the last 10 hasn't had at least one.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more fun numbers, actually surprised its not worse

Rank
Batting AverageLast
OBPLast
Slugging
26​
WRC+
25​
K%
26​
O FWAR
29​
Runs per game
26​
OPSLast
Hits per gameLast

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some more fun numbers, actually surprised its not worse

Rank
Batting AverageLast
OBPLast
Slugging
26​
WRC+
25​
K%
26​
O FWAR
29​
Runs per game
26​
OPSLast
Hits per gameLast
What is the number for controlling the zone though?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was being a smart ass, but what are those acronyms in the stat sheet for when I look next?
I think the gist of it is being able to recognize pitches in the strike zone. So ideally this helps the ability to get on base. However even though they are 10th in BB%, they are dead last in OBP%. So basically that means they simply aren't getting enough hits which i mean yeah we can all see that.

But when I watch its pretty obvious, the issue isnt swinging at pitches out of the zone, its they simply cannot hit pitches in the zone that are strikes. To peel it back a little further they are 8th in zone% and 27th in zone-contact% meaning pitchers know they can just attack the strike zone because there is still a good chance they will get swings and misses. The fact that they see more strikes then the average team but make contact alot less is pretty uhh bad.

So long story short, they can recognize the zone which fine that's cool but they dont/cant attack pitches in the zone which defeats the purpose. So i dont really know what the solution is, maybe attacking the first pitch fastballs a little more? However I dont even think guys outside of Lewis are able to attack fastballs very well so idk.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't uncommon for teams to end up under .300 OBP. Usually at least 2 or more teams every decade acheive it. The longest the league went without one was from 1990-2010. Though, there've been a lot of them the last 5 years or so, and only 1 year in the last 10 hasn't had at least one.
One of the more troubling bi-products of the modern all-or-nothing strategy that batters bring to the plate now.
They can't hit to the opposite field.
They can't lay down a bunt.
They have no pitch recognition ability so, instead, they sit on the fastball.
They don't understand the concept of a 'good out'.
But, by God, they can clear the CF wall......one time out of 25.

Needless to say, I loath the modern hitting strategy.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the gist of it is being able to recognize pitches in the strike zone. So ideally this helps the ability to get on base. However even though they are 10th in BB%, they are dead last in OBP%. So basically that means they simply aren't getting enough hits which i mean yeah we can all see that.

But when I watch its pretty obvious, the issue isnt swinging at pitches out of the zone, its they simply cannot hit pitches in the zone that are strikes. To peel it back a little further they are 8th in zone% and 27th in zone-contact% meaning pitchers know they can just attack the strike zone because there is still a good chance they will get swings and misses. The fact that they see more strikes then the average team but make contact alot less is pretty uhh bad.

So long story short, they can recognize the zone which fine that's cool but they dont/cant attack pitches in the zone which defeats the purpose. So i dont really know what the solution is, maybe attacking the first pitch fastballs a little more? However I dont even think guys outside of Lewis are able to attack fastballs very well so idk.
So you combine other stats to make control the zone? I honestly don’t know because it seems like a good idea on paper. But a lot stuff is good on paper until the opposing player/team adapts. I can see the point of trying to get someone’s pitch count up, but if the pitcher knows that then it defeats the purpose. Much like the shift, it is great on paper and thus far teams aren’t really adapting to it. Pitchers seem to be cool with just throwing easy strikes because they know the Mariners aren’t going to swing.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you combine other stats to make control the zone? I honestly don’t know because it seems like a good idea on paper. But a lot stuff is good on paper until the opposing player/team adapts. I can see the point of trying to get someone’s pitch count up, but if the pitcher knows that then it defeats the purpose. Much like the shift, it is great on paper and thus far teams aren’t really adapting to it. Pitchers seem to be cool with just throwing easy strikes because they know the Mariners aren’t going to swing.
Control the zone is basically what Dipoto has preached since he has been here. It works for both the hitting and pitching aspect. Here's an article I was able to find that kinda goes over it more in depth. But yeah its not necessarily measured in any one stat but basically its being able to manage pitches inside the zone.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dipoto's GM strategy is centered around "controlling the zone" he should get hitters that actually do it.
Its supposedly something that's preached throughout the system. Obviously what happens in the minors doesnt always translate. We see our minor league clubs having success but in reality it doesnt mean a ton at this point. However in year 6 of a regime you basically have all "your guys" in the system now and gotten rid of the Jack Z leftovers so at some point this stuff needs to be seen at the major league level