• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MLB American League Draft : CHAT

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same rules pretty much as the NBA Draft, player has to have played more games in the American League to be eligible.

We will draft...
1 - C
1 - 1B
1 - 2B
1 - 3B
1 - SS
1 - LF
1 - CF
1 - RF
1 - DH (Can be any player you want it to be)
5 - Bench
5 - SP (Has to have at least 50% of his games be as a starter)
5 - BP (Has to have pitched at least 50% of his games as a reliever)

Any questions?

DRAFT ORDER
1. WLK
2. Shane
3. 500
4. Milk
5. Johnny
6. Mebert
7. UK
8. EHB
9. Nos
10. Ritz
11. Femur
12. Hockey

Last edited:

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in as long as nobody is allowed to pick the players on my target list... :lebowski2:

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll do it

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will probably do it. Leave me an open spot please :suds:

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in, even if I can't take any Rockies players in this

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a nice night for baseball - I made a 6 year old opposing player cry....awww little league.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a nice night for baseball - I made a 6 year old opposing player cry....awww little league.

You are such a dick! So, you in for this one or what? :thumb:

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are such a dick! So, you in for this one or what? :thumb:

Well, the first time we played this team, they mocked our players and were just general horrible sports after the game (which shows pretty big balls to laugh at someone struggling to hit a ball when you yourself haven't gotten within 6 feet of the ball yourself). Tonight, when going through the handshakes they were being poor sports again, so this kid smirked at my wife who told him to be a better sport (she knows him from working at the local elementary school), so I got to his level, pointed my finger at him and firmly told him to knock it off and show some good sportsmanship. He burst into tears and ran off.

Opposing coach heard/saw the issues we were having with his team saying stuff like "Bad Game", You guys suck" "You're the worst team we've ever played" and other like comments. He himself had a stern talking to his players after the whole event - but if he wants to complain that I stepped in, I don't regret it. I don't plan on coaching kids ever again, so the worst thing that can happen to me is that I get removed from my coaching career 5 games sooner than expected.

So, I may be a dick - but I make kids on my team cry nearly every practice/game. Usually it's nothing more than they aren't getting their way - or I yell at them to stop trying to beat each other with baseball bats. Maybe one day they'll have thicker skin and they can handle discipline (not likely).

As for the draft - I can only do it if you all are not going to draft over Memorial Day weekend - as I am taking my wife and son camping from the 27th through the 30th.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the first time we played this team, they mocked our players and were just general horrible sports after the game (which shows pretty big balls to laugh at someone struggling to hit a ball when you yourself haven't gotten within 6 feet of the ball yourself). Tonight, when going through the handshakes they were being poor sports again, so this kid smirked at my wife who told him to be a better sport (she knows him from working at the local elementary school), so I got to his level, pointed my finger at him and firmly told him to knock it off and show some good sportsmanship. He burst into tears and ran off.

Opposing coach heard/saw the issues we were having with his team saying stuff like "Bad Game", You guys suck" "You're the worst team we've ever played" and other like comments. He himself had a stern talking to his players after the whole event - but if he wants to complain that I stepped in, I don't regret it. I don't plan on coaching kids ever again, so the worst thing that can happen to me is that I get removed from my coaching career 5 games sooner than expected.

So, I may be a dick - but I make kids on my team cry nearly every practice/game. Usually it's nothing more than they aren't getting their way - or I yell at them to stop trying to beat each other with baseball bats. Maybe one day they'll have thicker skin and they can handle discipline (not likely).

As for the draft - I can only do it if you all are not going to draft over Memorial Day weekend - as I am taking my wife and son camping from the 27th through the 30th.
I wasn't there, so I can't comment on how the boy was acting, but if another coach ever did that to a 6 year old on my squad, he'd be sipping soup for a week...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, now I gotta be a dick....if you "make kids cry every practice", then you should follow through on not coaching again. The job of a 6U coach is to teach and to make the game fun, not pretend you're Vince Lombardi. And if you have a child that plays, instead of admonishing the other team for chatter, you might teach him to ignore it....go to a high school or college game and sit close enough to hear the chatter the two teams give each other...it's relentless, but then again, it's a GAME

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, now I gotta be a dick....if you "make kids cry every practice", then you should follow through on not coaching again. The job of a 6U coach is to teach and to make the game fun, not pretend you're Vince Lombardi. And if you have a child that plays, instead of admonishing the other team for chatter, you might teach him to ignore it....go to a high school or college game and sit close enough to hear the chatter the two teams give each other...it's relentless, but then again, it's a GAME

What do you mean its a game?? BASEBALL IS LIFE!!!!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a baseball trophy from little league. I "earned" it by sitting on the bench while much better players won the tournament. My role was to strike out once in my mandatory at bat that the coach was forced to play me in, and occasionally to go throw slow pitches. It did not matter because I am left handed and in little league the throw was scary I guess. So it looked like I could pitch.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a baseball trophy from little league. I "earned" it by sitting on the bench while much better players won the tournament. My role was to strike out once in my mandatory at bat that the coach was forced to play me in, and occasionally to go throw slow pitches. It did not matter because I am left handed and in little league the throw was scary I guess. So it looked like I could pitch.

yea same here... my little league teams have won before... BUT no thanks to me... I am what some people call not athletic...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best coach I know was the Head Basketball coach here in White Oak, just retired after 25 years, won two State Championships. Coach used to run a Saturday little dribblers program for 3rd through 6th grades, totally free, in which he would run a full hour practice for the 3rd and 4ths, then a game, then a full hour practice for the 5th and 6ths. followed by a game, that ran for a couple of months during the season. Basically, he gave up every Saturday during the season for free. He ran the practice just like his HS practices, and let the dad's coach the games. It was mandatory that 5 kids played half a quarter, and then he would call time out and sub 5 more kids in. His 7th and 8th grade programs were 5 in 5 out, and the freshman and JV were ran the same way, though the JV coach could play his best 5 during the entire 4th quarter.
I asked Coach once why he ran his program that way. He said in his first year as Head Coach, his team went to the playoffs, but didn't go far, as their tallest player was 6'1''. He said he was walking the hall and seeing kids who were 6'4'', 6'5'' and even a 6'8'' or two. He asked them why they didn't try out for the varsity basketball team and they said ''well, I tried it when I was little, but I never got to play, and got bored and quit''.....

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best coach I know was the Head Basketball coach here in White Oak, just retired after 25 years, won two State Championships. Coach used to run a Saturday little dribblers program for 3rd through 6th grades, totally free, in which he would run a full hour practice for the 3rd and 4ths, then a game, then a full hour practice for the 5th and 6ths. followed by a game, that ran for a couple of months during the season. Basically, he gave up every Saturday during the season for free. He ran the practice just like his HS practices, and let the dad's coach the games. It was mandatory that 5 kids played half a quarter, and then he would call time out and sub 5 more kids in. His 7th and 8th grade programs were 5 in 5 out, and the freshman and JV were ran the same way, though the JV coach could play his best 5 during the entire 4th quarter.
I asked Coach once why he ran his program that way. He said in his first year as Head Coach, his team went to the playoffs, but didn't go far, as their tallest player was 6'1''. He said he was walking the hall and seeing kids who were 6'4'', 6'5'' and even a 6'8'' or two. He asked them why they didn't try out for the varsity basketball team and they said ''well, I tried it when I was little, but I never got to play, and got bored and quit''.....

There is something to that, the more playing time you get for kids increases the pool that is available later, and in a camp like that it makes complete sense. In a league though I am all for playing the kids that earn it. Even back then I thought it was stupid I had to bat once, it hurt the team. Baseball was never one I was going to stick with though. Never had a ton of interest in it. I think if those taller kids really enjoyed the game they would have stuck with it. Most basketball comes in pick up games outside of a structured environment, so the argument does not make a lot of sense to me.

Some people just take to some sports. I was always going to play basketball, nothing was going to take it away. Even now where I have gone from Skinny to Obese I still play every Saturday(although I hover on the perimeter a lot more now). Basketball is something I will play until my body quits on me. I went through phases of no playing time, and plenty of playing time. Quitting never crossed my mind.

In that vein if I had shown an interest in baseball I would have kept playing and getting better no matter how much playing time I had. I think me being bad at baseball was kind of self fulfilling, apathy going into it lead to the results to never play.