• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

MiLB adopts extra-inning rule for 2018

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • At all levels of Minor League Baseball, extra innings will begin with a runner on second base. The runner at second base will be the player in the batting order position previous to the leadoff batter of the inning (or a substitute for that player). By way of example, if the number five hitter in the batting order is due to lead off the 10th inning, the number four player in the batting order (or a pinch-runner for such player) shall begin the inning on second base. Any runner or batter removed from the game for a substitute shall be ineligible to return to the game, as is the case in all circumstances under the Official Baseball Rules.
  • For purposes of calculating earned runs under Rule 9.16, the runner who begins an inning on second base pursuant to this rule shall be deemed to be a runner who has reached second base because of a fielding error, but no error shall be charged to the opposing team or to any player.

This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dafuck??!

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tenor.gif

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • At all levels of Minor League Baseball, extra innings will begin with a runner on second base. The runner at second base will be the player in the batting order position previous to the leadoff batter of the inning (or a substitute for that player). By way of example, if the number five hitter in the batting order is due to lead off the 10th inning, the number four player in the batting order (or a pinch-runner for such player) shall begin the inning on second base. Any runner or batter removed from the game for a substitute shall be ineligible to return to the game, as is the case in all circumstances under the Official Baseball Rules.
  • For purposes of calculating earned runs under Rule 9.16, the runner who begins an inning on second base pursuant to this rule shall be deemed to be a runner who has reached second base because of a fielding error, but no error shall be charged to the opposing team or to any player.

The only part of your post that sounds intelligent.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No ghost runner option?

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, flipping a coin makes as much sense as this rule.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MisguidedDifficultFlyinglemur-size_restricted.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor league games are really just glorified exhibition games. The main purpose is to develop the players. Therefore, I am somewhat OK with this...

AS LONG AS IT NEVER GOES TO THE MAJORS.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are they thinking???

this is like the nfl starting OT in a teams red zone.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe this got off the table to begin with. All a team needs to do is bunt and then sac fly and game over.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minor league games are really just glorified exhibition games. The main purpose is to develop the players. Therefore, I am somewhat OK with this...

This.

Minor league games are fun to take the kids to. I live less than 15 min from the Akron Rubber Ducks park. It's easy to get to and cheap, so if the kids decide they're done after 3-4 innings, it's not a big deal.

In all the times I've been there, I've only seen the full nine innings a handful of times, let alone extra innings.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This.

Minor league games are fun to take the kids to. I live less than 15 min from the Akron Rubber Ducks park. It's easy to get to and cheap, so if the kids decide they're done after 3-4 innings, it's not a big deal.

In all the times I've been there, I've only seen the full nine innings a handful of times, let alone extra innings.
We usually stay for the whole game when we go, but I like going with my dad.

I think we've only seen extras once or twice.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We usually stay for the whole game when we go, but I like going with my dad.

I think we've only seen extras once or twice.

My kids are younger and one is a girl who really doesn't give a shit about baseball. My son would watch a full game with me.

It's a good deal. Honestly, it's not that much further to Jacob's Field for me - I can get there from my house in about 35 minutes - but usually go to Akron with the family. I'll take them to The Jake once or twice a season (and I'll take my son alone a few more).

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My kids are younger and one is a girl who really doesn't give a shit about baseball. My son would watch a full game with me.

It's a good deal. Honestly, it's not that much further to Jacob's Field for me - I can get there from my house in about 35 minutes - but usually go to Akron with the family. I'll take them to The Jake once or twice a season (and I'll take my son alone a few more).
My daughter likes going too, but does require a trip or two to the playground at the park.

I can get to Lakewood (Phillies A) and Trenton (Yankees AA) easier than getting to Philly. We go to Lakewood 5-6 times a year, and a couple times a year to Philly.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have seen this rule in play in the American Association (indy ball) and it does not address anything that it's intended to address. Seriously, it does not improve pace of play and doesn't make the game more exciting.
Fans won't like it and I can guarantee you, it will be scrapped once the post-season starts, which is a joke.

If this is another example of telling minor league fans that the front office doesn't care if the team wins, then it's a trendy place to hang out and get a team tee-shirt and eat 7-dollar nachos ... well, yeah. I think the players will just cuss about it. Not very many of these guys will get to taste the caviar anyhow and all they get for pro ball is to win a minor-league title. Now they are being told, fuck it ... all we want to do is improve "pace of play."

The Association scrapped it after one season and nobody has been happier than the fans. How the AA improved pace of play was quite simple ... the teams just hustled on and off the field.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Go River Cats!

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard about this, hope it never sees the light of day in MLB.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw this rule. Home Run Derby baby! That's how you settle a tie

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss Selig.

Gonna suck when baseball gets just as faggy as football and the NBA.