• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Riley the new Nebraska coach.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Riley on Gottlieb.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as TE98 thinks it is a shit hire, the more I trust this is a homerun for the Huskers.

I've always respected Riley, and he has pulled off some major upsets in Corvalis with some severely inferior teams. He'll be able to land much better talent overall at Nebraska, and he has proven he can mold that talent throughout his career.

Fully on board with the anti-Pelini.

Please show me where I have said Mike Riley is a shit hire. Go ahead........All I said was Nebraska just fired their HC who couldn't win conference titles and NC's and just hired a HC who hasn't won conference titles or NC's........

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resources don't mean diddly if you cannot coach.

How has Florida done with all their resources?
How has Texas done with all their resources?
How has Notre Dame done with all their resources?

How did Schnellenbeger do at Oklahoma?
How did John Mackovic do at Texas?
How did Bill Callahan do at Nebraska?
How did Brady Hoke do at Michigan?
on and on and on....

Did these guys have resources?

How has Bill Snyder of Kansas State done?
How has Cutcliffe done at Duke?
How has Fuente done at Memphis?
How has Jerry Kill done at Northern Illinois and Minnesota?
How has Chris Peterson done at Boise State?
How has McElwain done at Colorado State?
How did Craig Bohl do at North Dakota State?

You hire a coach that has PROVED he can coach and recruit. Cutcliffe, Kill, Fuente, Peterson, McElwain, Snyder, Malzahn, Briles, and Hudsepth have proven themselves. I am pretty sure I know what Mike Riley has proved at Oregon State.

(some of these names might be spelled wrong)

Seriously?!? Riley has never coached at a program that had Nebraska's resources and talent, yet somehow you know he can't coach. Amazing.

Because other coaches got to big schools and proved that can't coach, suddenly that means Riley can't either. :L

As for your list of coaches. How many of them have faced the level of competition in their conferences that Riley faces in the PAC-12? The only exception on your list is Bill Snyder and you weren't getting him. Even Kill at Minnesota hasn't faced the level of competition that Riley does in the PAC.

I get it. For whatever reason, you have decided that you aren't going to find anything positive about this hire. You have posters on here whose teams have been facing Riley coached teams telling what a good coach he is and how amazing what he accomplished at Oregon St. was and you somehow know more.

I'll just go ahead and let you wallow in your misery. Enjoy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree to disagree.

No one has provided any evidence to prove he is a winner. Losing 9 games in a season is not good. Losing five games in a season won't float at Nebraska.

The only thing I know about him is that he is a nice guy and he can coach up quarterbacks and he cannot coach special teams.

I am willing to bet Oregon State has a higher budget than what Northern Illinois had.

:L Wow just Wow.

Some 'Husker fans are actually beginning to embarrass themselves.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
\
Did these guys have resources?

How has Bill Snyder of Kansas State done?
How has Cutcliffe done at Duke?
How has Fuente done at Memphis?
How has Jerry Kill done at Northern Illinois and Minnesota?
How has Chris Peterson done at Boise State?
How has McElwain done at Colorado State?
How did Craig Bohl do at North Dakota State?

Every one of these schools is in a much better situation than Oregon State. The only one that is close is Kansas State, but they are right net to the best JUCOs in America. All of the other schools are in fertile recruiting grounds, can sell recruits on education, or were powers before those coaches showed up. Oregon State has none of those.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon State was one of the worst programs in the country before Riley got there. Terrible, miserable team for decades on end. His teams might have struggled a bit the last few seasons, but he was the classic example of doing less with more. I don't think we've won in Corvalis since he took back over from Erickson.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kirk Herbsreit just called Mike Riley "Tom Osborne."

As much as I don't want to compare him to TO because of all the expectations that come with that, the way he spoke during his press conference and his mannerisms and demeanor really did seem Osborne-esque.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a solid hire. Def out of left field. But Riley is well liked and seems Tao be the anti Bo so who knows. I expect Nebraska to do well.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon State was one of the worst programs in the country before Riley got there. Terrible, miserable team for decades on end. His teams might have struggled a bit the last few seasons, but he was the classic example of doing less with more. I don't think we've won in Corvalis since he took back over from Erickson.

All true. Wasn't until new AD Bob DeCarolis came that change began to happen at State. I give M Riley credit for football, but it was the AD who changed the climate. Can't remember OSUs AD prior to B DeC, but that guy made the right hires. Believe he ended up going to Kansas.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HB10 has literally lost all of my respect. I thought he was knowledgeable, but really he's just a parrot that copies and pastes shit from other sites and has no real good opinions of his own.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 486.81
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Riley going to emphasize scoring a TD in the spring game?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:noidea: I'm not sure why some people insist on being completely negative, despite the fact that it seems like this could be a really good situation for us.

Exactly. Is there any guarantee that Riley will do as well at Nebraska as some of us think he will? Of course not. But that goes with any coach.

I remember when USC hired Paul Hackett and Trojans everywhere thought that he was the guy who was "going to bring USC back". We had a solid defense, but were lacking on offense and he was supposed to be an offensive genius. That didn't happen. Instead, he made excuses about "not being able to win because of the area around USC".

Then we hired Pete Carroll and let's just say that it's a good thing there weren't many message boards like this at the time because pissed off Trojans would have burned down the internet. As it was, they pretty much shut down the switchboard at USC calling in to voice their displeasure at having "settled for a failed NFL coach".

When he started his first season 2-5, I thought he was going to get run out of town. Somehow, it turned out okay.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Riley going to emphasize scoring a TD in the spring game?

I don't think points are going to be a problem. I suspect within a couple years he'll have the best passing offense the B1G has seen since Tiller had it going at Purdue. He'll find some guy who can throw it 60 yards down the field accurately in Moosejaw, Saskatchewan or something. The big question is going to be how much more successful his teams are with more talent on the offensive line (so his QB isn't constantly getting murdered) and the defensive front.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think points are going to be a problem. I suspect within a couple years he'll have the best passing offense the B1G has seen since Tiller had it going at Purdue. He'll find some guy who can throw it 60 yards down the field accurately in Moosejaw, Saskatchewan or something. The big question is going to be how much more successful his teams are with more talent on the offensive line (so his QB isn't constantly getting murdered) and the defensive front.

Yeah, recruiting o-linemen has always been a challenge for the Beavs. It's hard to recruit for o-linemen in the PAC when teams like USC and Stanford, who are known for o-linemen, are going into the same living rooms.

At Nebraska, talented o-linemen grow on trees. Really looking forward to seeing what Riley will do with that kind of o-line talent added to what he already does with skill position players.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said in his hire presser that he is going to embrace the walk-on program. Not sure if the same pool is available from 20 years ago but it would be great to get some home grown lines again. Those corn bred boys didn't take plays off.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's on the film room for the national championship game (can find it on YouTube) and he seems like a very knowledgeable coach. Looking like a much better hire in my eyes.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's on the film room for the national championship game (can find it on YouTube) and he seems like a very knowledgeable coach. Looking like a much better hire in my eyes.

Just watched the film room version of the ncg. My take is that he knows what he is talking about but is a bit short in the charisma department.

I am sure he will be fine.