• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mike Mitchell, FS...???

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Q. You’ve had to go just about the whole training camp/preseason process without Mike Mitchell on the field. What does he bring to the defense?

A. When available, and I say when available because I haven’s seen much of him through this process, and that’s an issue for him and for me as we go forward. He’s going to have to prove capability. I’m not just going to walk into a stadium and anoint him based on what he’s done in the past. Football just doesn’t work that way. But in the past, he has been a great, consistent communicator, a consistent physical presence. His angles to the ball have been excellent. More than anything, like a lot of guys who play back there who are good at what they do, very rarely is he out of place."

This was part of a Q&A with Tomlin conducted by Bob Labriola I cut and pasted from Steelers.com .

From that quote in bold, it sounds like Mike needs to have a good season to have that role much longer. I'm hearing Gay is getting snaps at S.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will much prefer William Gay at FS than Mitchell.
If him being off the practice field is the justification Tomlin needs to pull the plug, fine.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been a fan of Mitchell's. He's very replaceable IMO, but that replacement isn't on the roster yet. Willie Gay playing there is just a bandaid. I'm fine with Mitchell playing another season, but I'd love for Colbert & Tomlin to draft a stud for the position.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't get/stay on the field it doesn't matter how good you are/were. IMO Mitchell's been serviceable but very replaceable especially if he can't stay healthy anymore. The hard hitting style of play Mitchell plays takes it's toll and sooner rather than later a player can't stay on the field. Sooner appears to be here for Mitchell.