• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Microsoft update *IMPORTANT*

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maliciously crafted files can disable Microsoft's security products | PCWorld

Evidently every security product from Microsoft for Vista through 8 is vulnerable. This patch should be applied as soon as possible. Whether you realize it or not, the MRT is downloaded every month with regular updates so you need to apply this patch regardless of what AV program you are using.

The patch will downloaded through Windows updates if you have automatic updates enabled, but it could be up to 48 hours before you see it. My advice is start Windows update and get it immediately.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, I love these emergency fixes when you are managing over 50 machines and many of them have to be scheduled for updates at special times.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, finally got around to reading the MS bulletin itself and evidently you cannot use Windows updates to get this fix.

Typically, no action is required of enterprise administrators or end users to install updates for the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine, because the built-in mechanism for the automatic detection and deployment of updates will apply the update within 48 hours of release. The exact time frame depends on the software used, Internet connection, and infrastructure configuration.

Seems ridiculous to me to leave people at risk as this should be made available through updates instead of waiting for Microsoft to get around to your PC for detection of the vulnerability.