• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mickey F calling for Ollie to be fired

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Mickey is the one who needs the Hatchet

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly unlikely Luck would ever mention age...the guy is a skilled attorney...

Hate to see Craig go down this path. Very reminiscent of the football program and the changes there. I hope Craig can collect himself before he goes down the path of those who couldn't let go. I was surprised how Craig responded to Luck. You don't have to kiss ass but you should show your boss some respect.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate to see Craig go down this path. Very reminiscent of the football program and the changes there. I hope Craig can collect himself before he goes down the path of those who couldn't let go. I was surprised how Craig responded to Luck. You don't have to kiss ass but you should show your boss some respect.

It's not an enviable job...but I didn't see Turnbull taking this program anywhere...it's kind of always just muddled by every now and then he had a great wrestler or two...but never a premier team..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we happen to be close long-time friends since the well-liked Erie, Pa., native first came to Morgantown as an assistant to Frank Liechti.
Taking over the wrestling program in 1979

Thank you for your unbiased perspective as always Mickey!!!....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highly unlikely Luck would ever mention age...the guy is a skilled attorney...

I think that is why Luck had the WVU professor join him for the recent meeting. As you know, Luck and WVU are being sued for age discrimination by a former football operations employee.

If this article is to be believed, Luck is one stupid attorney. Poking Turnbull in the chest, telling him he isn't a Paterno or Bowden.

It is hard for me to fathom...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this right, the guys who cheered the firing of a football coach, a baseball coach, a wrestling coach, who are calling for a HOF basketball coach to get fired, have issue with a newspaper guy calling for someone to be fired......REALLY??

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this right, the guys who cheered the firing of a football coach, a baseball coach, a wrestling coach, who are calling for a HOF basketball coach to get fired, have issue with a newspaper guy calling for someone to be fired......REALLY??

The football coach needed fired, he had destroyed the team with not filling the roster at the minimum. I liked BS, I was pulling for him. He "left no doubt" that he loved WVU. We will never get a coach ever again to love WVU as much as he did. Sometimes love is not enough. He also needed fired mostly by trying to get the reporter to frame Holgerson. He tainted my image of him there, I thought he had way more dignity then to stoop to that level. It was not Holgersons fault, why try to destroy the man?

The baseball coach needed fired, we have a much better baseball team now then we had for as far as I can remember.

The wrestling coach I don't know much about. Sounds like it got personal. No one really cares about wrestling that I know, I really don't think that it would of made much difference to give him another year. My gut feeling is he pissed in Ollie's Wheaties and got on his wrong side. I have no inside information, but why back talk your boss?

The basketball coach, ok I can say give him one more year, however if no NCAA tournament he needs to go.

The football coach now, I think inherited a bad situation, but this is his third recruiting class, if no bowl this year then he needs to go. Another loss to Kansas next year he needs to go.

Mickey just needs to go stick his hands in a hornets nest, he needs to get off the shit he is drinking, I liked him at one time, but he has lost his mind. I hate the good ole boy system.

Last edited by a moderator:

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an enviable job...but I didn't see Turnbull taking this program anywhere...it's kind of always just muddled by every now and then he had a great wrestler or two...but never a premier team..

Agreed, but Craig had to fight the AD for any improvements to the wrestling program. Although wrestling is not viewed as important at WVU, it makes you wonder if there could have been improvements to the program if the AD would have supported it. Craig seemed to know how to fly under the radar but showed up on somebody's screen.

Mickey is not reporting news, he is expressing opinions. He'd be better off writing on a blog site, if the newspaper has one and let a guy who wants to report the news write for the paper.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is up to the newspaper to stop paying him and printing his column. Columns have always been opinion pieces. Mickey generates a certain number of hits with his work.

I don't have a very strong opinion about the wrestling program. I don't know what has happened between Luck and Turnbull. The program had a decent year this year, but it hasn't been performing well for quite some time.

jarringjev

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jarringjev

Sad but true, only a few people in this life realize when its time to step down. The wrestling coach should have read "Happy Happy Happy" a bio. of Phil Robertson, the founder of Duck Commander. He realized when it was time to leave and turned over the company to his son. Duck Commander grew to what it is today because Phil left at the proper time.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosses fire people all of the time. Sometimes justified - sometimes, not so much. But that is the perogative of bosses. They are the boss, they can fire anyone who isn't living up to their (the bosses) expectations. And then when add being less than respectful to the boss - you shouldn't be surprised that you are told your services are no longer required.

As for Mickey - I understand taking the side of your "close long-time friend", but your opinions then seem a little biased.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can’t ask Luck, who receives an annual base salary of $700,000. He really hasn’t had very many press conferences at which all reporters could question him.
It really makes one wonder at times what he really does in his job to earn his high salary?

Hmm..well let's see in less than three years he has more than doubled the AD budget..I would suggest he is underpaid!!!

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig Turnbull, the outstanding headcoach and builder of the Mountaineers’ wrestling program for 36 years, wasnotified on Friday afternoon that Luck shockingly announced that his contractwill not be renewed on June 30 for next year.

That is howbusiness works sometimes your employer does not renew your contract…basicbusiness last time I checked. Reasonsbehind the move may vary, but it is at the discretion of the employer.

If memory serves, the highly successfuland classy Turnbull became the fifth WVU head coach and a sixth key veteranemployee to be fired since Luck took over as A.D. a little more than threeyears ago.

Very poor andlazy journalism here…doubt many of your readers rely on your memory, look upthe numbers. 6 employees in three yearsis not that bad considering the AD employs about 300 people.
That’s not surprising, though. The Ohionative is a former BOG member who helped select WVU president Jim Clements, nowin the same position at Clemson.
Those two men were permitted free spending (like money was going out of style)while they worked together on athletic matters.
Hopefully, Dr. E. Gordon Gee, who is now the WVU president, will attempt to endwhat many people consider as wrongdoing in the athletic department.

Examples??? Wherehas the money been spent like it was going out of style? What wrong doing has been done? Please share with the readers what “MANY”think is wrong doing?

Coincidentally, I had interviewed CoachTurnbull in the beautiful Wrestling Pavilion last Wednesday afternoon byprevious appointment. It was one of the most interesting interviews I’ve everhad.

I feel like hehas used this same paragraph in each of the articles written about someone whois not with WVU. I also hope that thisbeing one of the most interesting interviews you have ever had that you wouldcome up with a better way to represent Turnbull that this hunk of opinion crapyou have provided.

In that connection, may I ask if the Big12 Conference (which I still don’t think WVU should be in) is so great, whydoesn’t it have more than just four teams in wrestling?

I would say lackof interest in the sport in general or lack of revenue from the sport. I never heard anyone asking for WVU to be inthe top wrestling conf in the country.

We can’t ask Luck, who receives an annualbase salary of $700,000. He really hasn’t had very many press conferences atwhich all reporters could question him.
It really makes one wonder at times what he really does in his job to earn hishigh salary?

So would making himself available at your every call mean that he was earning the 700,000? You may wonder what he is doing to earn that,but then again you have not written a positive word about the AD or school in 3years.

You may recall that Luck fired the lateBill Stewart as head football coach in December 2010. The West Virginia nativehad teams that posted three consecutive 9-3 regular-season records.
And Luck reneged on a scheduled fourth year at the helm with Dana Holgorsen as“head coach in waiting.”

Recall?? You have mentioned it in about every articleyou have written in the past 3 years…and actually Stew was going to get his 4thyear, but could not man up at the time and got himself fired.

Meantime, Luck saw fit to fire GregVanZant as head coach in baseball after the 2012 season. Luck didn’t even givehim an opportunity to see if he could win in the Big 12. VanZant was a thirdbaseman as a player here and later as an assistant coach before taking over theprogram in 1996.

He wasn’t evenhaving success in the Big East he was 213-219 in conf play.

It’s certainly a growingly sad situationto this long-time WVU sports observer.
It is my strong opinion that there needs a change in athletic directors at myalma mater — the sooner, the better!

So pleaseprovide a reason that the change is needed? Most of this article lacks fact, but is just an opinion piece. So tell me what has Ollie done (besides moves that you just don’t like) to be relieved of his duties?
Get your kickback from JR you piece of scum, I am embarrassed that we went to the same university

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Craig Turnbull, the outstanding headcoach and builder of the Mountaineers’ wrestling program for 36 years, wasnotified on Friday afternoon that Luck shockingly announced that his contractwill not be renewed on June 30 for next year.

That is howbusiness works sometimes your employer does not renew your contract…basicbusiness last time I checked. Reasonsbehind the move may vary, but it is at the discretion of the employer.

If memory serves, the highly successfuland classy Turnbull became the fifth WVU head coach and a sixth key veteranemployee to be fired since Luck took over as A.D. a little more than threeyears ago.

Very poor andlazy journalism here…doubt many of your readers rely on your memory, look upthe numbers. 6 employees in three yearsis not that bad considering the AD employs about 300 people.
That’s not surprising, though. The Ohionative is a former BOG member who helped select WVU president Jim Clements, nowin the same position at Clemson.
Those two men were permitted free spending (like money was going out of style)while they worked together on athletic matters.
Hopefully, Dr. E. Gordon Gee, who is now the WVU president, will attempt to endwhat many people consider as wrongdoing in the athletic department.

Examples??? Wherehas the money been spent like it was going out of style? What wrong doing has been done? Please share with the readers what “MANY”think is wrong doing?

Coincidentally, I had interviewed CoachTurnbull in the beautiful Wrestling Pavilion last Wednesday afternoon byprevious appointment. It was one of the most interesting interviews I’ve everhad.

I feel like hehas used this same paragraph in each of the articles written about someone whois not with WVU. I also hope that thisbeing one of the most interesting interviews you have ever had that you wouldcome up with a better way to represent Turnbull that this hunk of opinion crapyou have provided.

In that connection, may I ask if the Big12 Conference (which I still don’t think WVU should be in) is so great, whydoesn’t it have more than just four teams in wrestling?

I would say lackof interest in the sport in general or lack of revenue from the sport. I never heard anyone asking for WVU to be inthe top wrestling conf in the country.

We can’t ask Luck, who receives an annualbase salary of $700,000. He really hasn’t had very many press conferences atwhich all reporters could question him.
It really makes one wonder at times what he really does in his job to earn hishigh salary?

So would making himself available at your every call mean that he was earning the 700,000? You may wonder what he is doing to earn that,but then again you have not written a positive word about the AD or school in 3years.

You may recall that Luck fired the lateBill Stewart as head football coach in December 2010. The West Virginia nativehad teams that posted three consecutive 9-3 regular-season records.
And Luck reneged on a scheduled fourth year at the helm with Dana Holgorsen as“head coach in waiting.”

Recall?? You have mentioned it in about every articleyou have written in the past 3 years…and actually Stew was going to get his 4thyear, but could not man up at the time and got himself fired.

Meantime, Luck saw fit to fire GregVanZant as head coach in baseball after the 2012 season. Luck didn’t even givehim an opportunity to see if he could win in the Big 12. VanZant was a thirdbaseman as a player here and later as an assistant coach before taking over theprogram in 1996.

He wasn’t evenhaving success in the Big East he was 213-219 in conf play.

It’s certainly a growingly sad situationto this long-time WVU sports observer.
It is my strong opinion that there needs a change in athletic directors at myalma mater — the sooner, the better!

So pleaseprovide a reason that the change is needed? Most of this article lacks fact, but is just an opinion piece. So tell me what has Ollie done (besides moves that you just don’t like) to be relieved of his duties?
Get your kickback from JR you piece of scum, I am embarrassed that we went to the same university

He's an old man...and set in his ways..change scares people like him...complacency seems to be justifiable in his small world.......