• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

michigan st/illinois

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teddy valentine... wtf was that. they missed a foul and went to the review to see if it was a flagrant. it wasn't even close to a flagrant foul or tech but they give him a tech anyways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
teddy valentine... wtf was that. they missed a foul and went to the review to see if it was a flagrant. it wasn't even close to a flagrant foul or tech but they give him a tech anyways

Apparently, what you don't seem to realize is that "any" foul that happens when the clock is stopped has to be a technical foul. No "personal" foul can be called when the clock is in the "off" position.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
u cant call a flagrant foul with the clock stopped. u can call personal fouls with the clock stopped. it happens several times every game. fouls before the inbound pass is completed happen regularly. the problem is u cant review a common foul and teddy took it upon himself to make that call

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is the worst MSU team that I can remember in a long, long time. They don't know how to 'box out' period; they can't put free throws in to save their lives; and the IQ of this team shows clearly from the stupidity of the plays they create, especially against teams that guard the perimeter and the lane well. Today is a prime example of what this team's identity is all about. They allowed easy rebounds and put backs in their end the entire game. Their passing was so erratic that anyone could have easily mistaken them for an average high school team (at best). Passes into strong coverage, passes to the Illinois bench, lob passes to no-man's land, dribbling into strong coverage in the middle, and many shots out of desperation toward the basket was their modus operandi today. Not until Valentine got a few good looks for threes, that he made, did this team even begin to establish any sort of consistency in the offensive end. Izzo must be more vigilant in his recruiting process by selecting only players who can be much more consistent at the foul line. He has to be more selective in the side of intelligence when deciding who he will consider. On the top of the list of selected practice schemes to be covered this week, #1 must be 'boxing out' around the basket, until their legs are so worn out that they just cannot continue any further. Keep your eyes from looking up at the rim when a shot goes up, but immediately look for an opponent that you can get your body on. They also need to stay at the stripe until they can put in at least 24 out of 50, so that they can be somewhat assured that '0 for' the number of attempts in a game will not be as much of a detriment as it obviously was in today's game. 48% is not anything to write home about, but it is quite an upgrade for what is the case for many of these players, especially in some of the games they've played in this season. You've got to at least have a #1 and #2 that can show more consistency when at the top developing successful scoring plays with a very low possibility of turning the ball over. This is far from what is seen with this group. Keep the plane engines warmed up, and become more available to see a greater number of players around the country that can fit those requirements Also, get somebody that can "dominate" down low, at least so that you can make a good defending team sag to create more time at the perimeter for better 3-point looks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
u cant call a flagrant foul with the clock stopped. u can call personal fouls with the clock stopped. it happens several times every game. fouls before the inbound pass is completed happen regularly. the problem is u cant review a common foul and teddy took it upon himself to make that call

I tend to agree with your take on the questionable flagrancy of that call; but, I think that Teddy felt that the player who went in to prevent the shooter from getting into the lane, pushed his butt back too 'an excess', which temporarily incapacitated the shooter to a point when he wasn't able to continue in any capacity. I refereed high school and college for over 30 years, and, I was always under the guidelines that when calling a flagrant foul there was some kind of intent to either become overly physical or there seemed to be an intent to injure. I not convinced that the player, who caused the shooter to 'buckle' today, had 'intent' to create that resulting situation. At the very least, I don't believe that any of those officials could point to any intent on that play; and, unless that were the case, a flagrant foul should never have been called. By that call, a game that was being won by the far better team, in spite of the fact that 3 of their best players were at the bench in street clothes, almost was hijacked by a decision based on pure opinion.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I also want to correct you on another point that you said about "you can't call a flagrant foul with the clock stopped". If two players start a fist-a-cuffs for any reason 'with the clock stopped' or 'with the clock running', a flagrant foul should be called. The fact that the clock is 'off', doesn't prevent a flagrant foul from being accessed.