• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michigan Spring Game

WestCoastWolverine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on the Spring Game?
Its a little weird to watch UM playing vs UM.

I really liked the Defensive play. Taco Charlton looks great. Jibreel Black and Clark also looked pretty good. LBs looked pretty solid (even missing Ryan).

DG looks good... kinda worried about QB depth. I was also impressed by our WRs especially Darboh. I have always been a huge Gallon fan. I cant wait to see Deveon Smith and D Green. I hope T Rawls gets some touches this season as well. Go Blue!!

signed CBS Sports transplant

Chief

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't able to watch the spring game this year so really can't comment on it. Yes, I forgot to DVR it.

Only thing I really would have been wondering about was the interior of the O Line, a RB and Countess.

I realize Countess wasn't going to go, but simply wondering how he's progressing. Not going to say he was the next Woodson, but I thought he was on track to be damn good, if not great.

I think a good portion of us thought Rawls would be the man last season, but he never took the reigns. I think he started trying to be too flashy instead of simply running with power like he started out doing.

And of course the interior of the line. Outside of Lewan, I'm not sure any of the other guys (last season) would start for any other major program.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't able to watch the spring game this year so really can't comment on it. Yes, I forgot to DVR it.

Only thing I really would have been wondering about was the interior of the O Line, a RB and Countess.

I realize Countess wasn't going to go, but simply wondering how he's progressing. Not going to say he was the next Woodson, but I thought he was on track to be damn good, if not great.

I think a good portion of us thought Rawls would be the man last season, but he never took the reigns. I think he started trying to be too flashy instead of simply running with power like he started out doing.

And of course the interior of the line. Outside of Lewan, I'm not sure any of the other guys (last season) would start for any other major program.

Here ya go chief.

2013 Michigan Spring Game - YouTube

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get to see it. But the fact they lost Bellomy and Gardner tends to run when things break down does not bode well in my mind.

I am not sold on Shane Morris as the #2. He basically lost last season due to illness and it's hard on any freshman to come into a program and make a difference.

I like that Lewan came back and I think UofM's run game will be miles better than it has been the last 4 years. Not a slap at DRob but UofM didn't have the lineman they needed to compete against the size of the B1G.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed like the OL was run blocking better but they were confused by different stunts and blitzes, which is normal because they are young and typically the defense is ahead of the offense at this time of the year. Starting tackles are good, and if someone goes down Braden will most likely switch from guard to tackle and Glasgow will come off the bench to play guard.

The RB situation is not very inspiring, Hayes should switch to the slot, Norfleet should be a change of pace back, and it looks like Johnson and Rawls will be fighting to see who can backup Green and Toussaint if he is healthy. We should be able to redshirt Deveon Smith and move Shallman to a different position.

Hopefully Countess comes back healthy, but Holloway was looking pretty good out there so we should be deeper in the CB rotation this year.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sold on Shane Morris as the #2. He basically lost last season due to illness and it's hard on any freshman to come into a program and make a difference.

I'm with you on this one. I think Brian Cleary is going to get the back-up job, at least to start the season. Hopefully, Morris is able to get a redshirt and compete with Speight for second string in 2014.I would expect to see Michigan run the football a lot in the first portion of the season. Two reasons. 1) As discussed, they won't really have a viable option at QB if DG gets hurt. 2) I believe it is easier for young lineman to learn run blocking schemes than pass blocking. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

If Fitz is healthy, I would expect him and Green to share the bulk of the load but I really think Smith could be inthat mix as well. Rawls had his opportunity last year and he was horrible.

I look for the defense to improve dramatically as the year progresses. The ND game will be tough for them. Everett Golson could give them fits unless Michigan's corners are able to shut down their wideouts.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would expect to see Michigan run the football a lot in the first portion of the season. Two reasons. 1) As discussed, they won't really have a viable option at QB if DG gets hurt. 2) I believe it is easier for young lineman to learn run blocking schemes than pass blocking.

I think thats spot on as those young guys need some experience when the B1G season gets underway.

I think Morris may be recipient of bad timing. Gardner has 2 years left. That allows Speight to sit for a season. So he will be close to Morris in experience when it comes time to compete for the job.

The wildcard is if Morris gets time this season due to injury which I am thinking is about 50/50.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be beneficial for Morris to sit for a couple of years and learn the offense and to throw the ball with touch to compliment his big arm... and if he can't beat out Speight/Cleary/Bellomy in 2015, then he won't deserve to start despite being more hyped than all of them combined...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot can happen in two seasons.

I think Hoke and crew got a great QB in Spreight due to his missing a season with injury. It would not surprise me if he shoots up boards this year.

Morris will get a shot as I think Hoke is a loyal coach to a fault and Morris played a huge part of recruiting the last class.

In the end it's about winning and Morris will need to return to his junior season form to compete.

I think landing Peppers would be huge. I have always like a great athlete in the Woodson type role and am surprised more schools don't have guys like that.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has some new info showed up at the recruiting sites? It was my impression that Morris was a much higher rated qb prospect, and not in any danger of being passed up by Speight. If either of them were afraid of a little competition, I wouldn't think they'd be Hoke's kinda guys. Even if the concensus was that Speight was no threat to start over Morris, I'd be disappointed if he conceeded the crown w/out making a daily fight for it. But then, I was one of those mutts who wanted to win the practice as well as beat the badguys - a real nuisance to the upper classmen... until I became one and it paid off.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris started out rated higher but slid, mostly due to limited action in his senior season and his performance at the Elite 11. Speight seems to be going the other way. Heads are really turning and he could be rated higher by the time he signs. Either way, it is great to have some incoming talent to compete for the job and both have been active on the recruiting scene.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris has a higher ceiling than Speight due to his arm strength, but there is more to being a starting qb than arm strength and Morris missed the majority of his final high school year due to an illness. He will have to earn a starting spot just like everyone else.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris has a higher ceiling than Speight due to his arm strength, but there is more to being a starting qb than arm strength..

I usually put it in this order:
1) Decision making
2) Accuracy
3) Arm Strength
4) Running Ability

I might switch #'s 3 and 4 depending on the type of offense. I don't know enough about the two to say who is going to be better but my limited knowledge says Speight might have an advantage in the first two categories. In the case of these two quarterback, running ability might need to be changed to escapability.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's tough to judge before we see them on the field in similar situations... from high school highlights Morris looks more athletic with a much stronger arm, while Speight has a better touch and accuracy and can throw the ball well under heavy pressure... looking at those highlights, his o-line really should send him a letter of apology...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signed sincerley yours......We tried.our best LOL.