• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Michael Sam comes out

augustisback003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's interesting, I had him pegged as a 2nd Round pick after his breakout Season. Not to sound like a jerk but I would how this will affect his draft stock?

excerpt~

Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is gay in an interview with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday.

Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud gay man."

Sam is eligible for the NFL draft in May. Assuming that he is drafted, Sam could become the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL.

Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers says he's gay - ESPN

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting, I had him pegged as a 2nd Round pick after his breakout Season. Not to sound like a jerk but I would how this will affect his draft stock?

excerpt~

Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is gay in an interview with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday.

Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud gay man."

Sam is eligible for the NFL draft in May. Assuming that he is drafted, Sam could become the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL.

Michael Sam of Missouri Tigers says he's gay - ESPN

I'm guessing that this will be more of an issue with old executives and redneck fans than it will be for the players. His teamates at Mizzou didn't seem to have an issue with it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why this is even a big deal.

People who are gay just want to be treated the same as people who are straight, right?

So, why the hell do they keep needing to hold press-conferences about "coming out"?

I mean, hell...if you want to be treated "normally" then stop acting like it's not normal. Treat it as such, and move on with your life.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The gay thing is kind of like race... I am getting sick of hearing about it.

Who cares.... move on. It is a business.. and if he is the best at what he does... hire him. If not, no worries... not sure how sexuality even comes into this.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People who are gay just want to be treated the same as people who are straight, right?

So, why the hell do they keep needing to hold press-conferences about "coming out"?

I mean, hell...if you want to be treated "normally" then stop acting like it's not normal. Treat it as such, and move on with your life.

:agree:

On one hand they want equality (the same with race)... but on the other hand we need a circus whenever someone comes out.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I definitely see your point.

I also see the side of there being a societal stigma attached to homosexuality and the best way to get rid of that is for people to be open with it. Particularly someone in a culture as mainstream and "macho" as the NFL

But I hope this doesn't become too big of a deal. I don't watch sports to hear about social issues. As a matter of fact I use it as a way to get away from them. He's gay and open about it. I can respect the courage it must have took for him to take that stance. Now I hope everyone moves on and I don't have to hear about it all season

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm guessing that this will be more of an issue with old executives and redneck fans than it will be for the players. His teamates at Mizzou didn't seem to have an issue with it.

I think the issue will be the media exploiting it.

I don't want a player's religion, personal life, politics to become a huge topic.

It's already all I've heard everytime I turn on the NFLN. Hopefully it dies down after a day

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benson should have came out, maybe he'd still have a job, and he'd be like Jackie Robinson or Bill Willis.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

'They' don't need to hold press conferences. I'm sure most of them don't want to. The issue is that IT WILL be a story even if they never say anything. Look at the Aaron Rogers news this season -- All it takes is one disgruntled lover (or someone looking for attention) to generate a story that the media will report. By coming out of the closet, Sam controls the reports and he controls the dialogue rather than running, hiding or denying his entire life.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the issue will be the media exploiting it.

I don't want a player's religion, personal life, politics to become a huge topic.

It's already all I've heard everytime I turn on the NFLN. Hopefully it dies down after a day

It will definitely be exploited for this player.

A few years from now, it won't be very interesting anymore.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people freak out more about Tebow saying he's a virgin than this guy saying he likes men.

bengaldoug

former pessimistic homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to openly declare, publicly, for all the world to hear, that I am a proud conservative.

Don't hate me.

Last edited by a moderator:

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
people freak out more about Tebow saying he's a virgin than this guy saying he likes men.

cn_image.size.tim-tebow.jpg

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came out before the draft so that if he happens to start falling in the draft, he can sue the NFL for them being collectively against gays and their rights and earn a nice big pay day on top of his rookie contract whereever he was drafted. Since he was set in as a solid second rounder, anything less than that "could" allow him to scream foul.

Or, this is the best way to meet young gay people. Right now, he is having to choose from a select few that he probably knows. Now, he will be open in all of public, he will be a professional football player so money will be there, and now, he can get more invites to dinner from more quality gay people from around the country. Gives him a "leg up" on the dating scene.

Ah well, you choose. I don't care, as long as the circus is not in town all week during practices and game day.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'They' don't need to hold press conferences. I'm sure most of them don't want to. The issue is that IT WILL be a story even if they never say anything. Look at the Aaron Rogers news this season -- All it takes is one disgruntled lover (or someone looking for attention) to generate a story that the media will report. By coming out of the closet, Sam controls the reports and he controls the dialogue rather than running, hiding or denying his entire life.

Yeah, but the biggest way, IMO, to combat that is simply: live your life. Don't make a big deal about it. If you act like it's a normal thing, then eventually people will just start accepting that it's normal.

People will always want to make a big deal out of stupid rumors like the Aaron Rodgers thing, and it will always happen one way or another.

I don't think "coming out" do anything other than: The story is now about him being gay than if he can cut it at the NFL level. Which, I would think, is completely coutner productive to why he wants to "come out".

Maybe I'm just tired of the whole "coming out" thing. I wish people would just play ball, and leave it at that. I know it won't be done, and it's a shame that it won't be, but that is really the bottom line. Can he help X-team win games...yes or no. Making a big deal about his sex life/preference just takes focus off the ultimate goal, IMO.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, but the biggest way, IMO, to combat that is simply: live your life. Don't make a big deal about it. If you act like it's a normal thing, then eventually people will just start accepting that it's normal.

People will always want to make a big deal out of stupid rumors like the Aaron Rodgers thing, and it will always happen one way or another.

I don't think "coming out" do anything other than: The story is now about him being gay than if he can cut it at the NFL level. Which, I would think, is completely coutner productive to why he wants to "come out".

Maybe I'm just tired of the whole "coming out" thing. I wish people would just play ball, and leave it at that. I know it won't be done, and it's a shame that it won't be, but that is really the bottom line. Can he help X-team win games...yes or no. Making a big deal about his sex life/preference just takes focus off the ultimate goal, IMO.

BS.

Kerry Rhodes was a pretty damn good player.

There were a number of players about to "come out" last offseason, but there's a reason they never did - likely due to the backlash from some players and coaches alike. There is a huge stigma attached to being gay in a locker room of men. Sam coming out, getting drafted, and ultimately being accepted in the locker room will go a long way for people to start accepting it as "normal". Until all that happens, it won't happen.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kramer -- I see you've been taking your talents to the Politics board.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this more or less interesting than the guy with the imaginary girlfriend.