• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

McGregor's Next Opponent at FW

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UFC and McGregor have been in discussions about who his next opponent will be. Conor's coach wants Aldo. I think he is worried about Edgar even though Conor is the bigger fighter and great striker. I think most fans (myself included) want to see Edgar vs McGregor. The question about can Conor handle a top wrestler in his division is still unanswered. Mendes had short notice for the fight with McGregor and had to focus on cutting weight. Edgar has good movement and wrestling and he has some power in his punches. I think he'd give McGregor all he could handle and probably more than he could handle. Aldo is a better matchup for McGregor unless he changes his strategy & who knows if he will. It's sill an interesting fight but less interesting. There is no guarantee McGregor wins. It's not easy beating a top fighter twice in a row. I think Holloway is the future of the FW division. He doesn't have to become a skeleton to make weight like McGregor yet he is big for the division. He is younger than the top guys and skilled. Holloway was able to take the pressure and strikes of Conor without losing early. Holloway is on an 8 fight win streak. He's being overlooked by the UFC and deserves a title shot soon. Perhaps the UFC should put him on the UFC 200 card and all of McGregor's fight cards as a potential alternate that actually has a training camp.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aldo makes the most sense. I mean its not like we got a fight the first time. Even though it was a legit counter by McGregor, the KO was just a bit flukish. Eh, that sounds harsh. What I'm saying is McGregor deserves all credit for the first win but Aldo deserves another shot. He was champ for so long and got KO'd before the ring girl sat down.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you are saying. Aldo has been Champ for a long time & with more time in the fight with McGregor would have shown more of his skills. It would be a letdown to see another quick KO from McGregor (if it happens) in a rematch with Aldo though. He's already proven that he can beat Aldo. He hasn't proven anything about how he'd match up with Edgar.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UFC and McGregor have been in discussions about who his next opponent will be. Conor's coach wants Aldo. I think he is worried about Edgar even though Conor is the bigger fighter and great striker. I think most fans (myself included) want to see Edgar vs McGregor. The question about can Conor handle a top wrestler in his division is still unanswered. Mendes had short notice for the fight with McGregor and had to focus on cutting weight. Edgar has good movement and wrestling and he has some power in his punches. I think he'd give McGregor all he could handle and probably more than he could handle. Aldo is a better matchup for McGregor unless he changes his strategy & who knows if he will. It's sill an interesting fight but less interesting. There is no guarantee McGregor wins. It's not easy beating a top fighter twice in a row. I think Holloway is the future of the FW division. He doesn't have to become a skeleton to make weight like McGregor yet he is big for the division. He is younger than the top guys and skilled. Holloway was able to take the pressure and strikes of Conor without losing early. Holloway is on an 8 fight win streak. He's being overlooked by the UFC and deserves a title shot soon. Perhaps the UFC should put him on the UFC 200 card and all of McGregor's fight cards as a potential alternate that actually has a training camp.

Lol, man that block of text is hard to read. You need some line breaks, AKA paragraphs, in there.

Edger should be his next opponent. Aldo got starched & doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. When you get starched & there is zero controversy, you shouldn't get an immediate rematch. McGregor & the UFC has been avoiding Edger for 2 years. The pecking order for title shots if McNugget keeps winning is: Edger, Aldo, & then Halloway. I doubt Conner beats Edger. Frankie can take him down at will like Mendes did till he gassed from taking that fight on short notice. Frankie also has the boxing movement to either avoid Conner's punches or at least stay at the end of them like Diaz did.

The UFC needs to stop with instant rematch BS. Too much pandering or catering to the casual MMA crowd.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Edgar should get a shot before Aldo honestly. If Aldo had lost via split decision or something, he should get the rematch but he got KOed in seconds. Edgar has earned it and has been waiting but like the OP said, McGregor may not want to fight him because he needs to work on his wrestling. I am curious if even the UFC doesn't want McGregor to fight Edgar next because they don't want to lose their cash cow that just got his ego/image damaged in the loss to Diaz.

*Off topic but still MMA,...I still cant believe how bad of an idea it was for Holly Holm to fight Tate instead of doing what the UFC wanted and wait for the Rousey rematch. Likely cost Holly and the UFC both millions of dollars because she wanted to stay active rather than being patient and waiting until the end of the year to fight Ronda again. Would have been a HUGE PPV had she waited.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Off topic but still MMA,...I still cant believe how bad of an idea it was for Holly Holm to fight Tate instead of doing what the UFC wanted and wait for the Rousey rematch. Likely cost Holly and the UFC both millions of dollars because she wanted to stay active rather than being patient and waiting until the end of the year to fight Ronda again. Would have been a HUGE PPV had she waited.

I don't subscribe to this thinking. HH wants to fight, not sit around for a year. The money really won't be any different for HH when you add up her purse totals for the year compared to sitting around & fighting once.

The rematch fight is still there. It will still sell if they both win their next fights.

What Tate winning does is add more marketable fights for the division. It creates credibility & grows the division. Before the Tate win, RR/Tate 3 was not a marketable fight, now it is.

Any fan who wants fighters to sit around waiting for a year instead of fighting needs to take a look at boxing to see what is wrong with that.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't subscribe to this thinking. HH wants to fight, not sit around for a year. The money really won't be any different for HH when you add up her purse totals for the year compared to sitting around & fighting once.

The rematch fight is still there. It will still sell if they both win their next fights.

What Tate winning does is add more marketable fights for the division. It creates credibility & grows the division. Before the Tate win, RR/Tate 3 was not a marketable fight, now it is.

Any fan who wants fighters to sit around waiting for a year instead of fighting needs to take a look at boxing to see what is wrong with that.
I am mainly talking about everything other than their purse. She risked a lot by not waiting which I usually wouldn't agree under these circumstances, it would had made more sense financially to wait a few extra months for Rousey to be ready. Holm isn't in control of her own destiny without the belt so if Tate happens to beat Rousey, who knows where things go from there.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, man that block of text is hard to read. You need some line breaks, AKA paragraphs, in there.

Edger should be his next opponent. Aldo got starched & doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. When you get starched & there is zero controversy, you shouldn't get an immediate rematch. McGregor & the UFC has been avoiding Edger for 2 years. The pecking order for title shots if McNugget keeps winning is: Edger, Aldo, & then Halloway. I doubt Conner beats Edger. Frankie can take him down at will like Mendes did till he gassed from taking that fight on short notice. Frankie also has the boxing movement to either avoid Conner's punches or at least stay at the end of them like Diaz did.

The UFC needs to stop with instant rematch BS. Too much pandering or catering to the casual MMA crowd.

I agree with this. Edgar should be his next fight.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am mainly talking about everything other than their purse. She risked a lot by not waiting which I usually wouldn't agree under these circumstances, it would had made more sense financially to wait a few extra months for Rousey to be ready. Holm isn't in control of her own destiny without the belt so if Tate happens to beat Rousey, who knows where things go from there.

It wasn't a few extra months of waiting, it would have been 7-8 months of extra waiting. Or a whole year between fights. A whole year lost of her career. Not to mention any possible injuries that could have postponed the rematch, making the time off even longer.

It doesn't really matter if it's RR or Tate who has the belt when HH challenges for it, it will still sell. And as long as RR doesn't lose another fight before a HH home rematch, that will sell as well. Now with Tate being the champ, there are far more fights in the division that the UFC can sell.

People get too caught up in what a promoter says or his/her reaction to a fighter loss. The promoter is the only one that potentially loses in these scenarios. The fights won't be as big as they could have been, but they will still be big. The promoter's job is to continually push the envelope, money wise. Fighters make the most money by fighting & winning.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dana has a double standard. McGregor gets commended by him because "he likes to fight and make money." That was his reasoning for letting McGregor pick his fights.

If HH wins in that fight vs Tate it's only a positive for him and his organization. HH lost so it's sour grapes with his comments. HH is 34 yrs old. She would have been 35 by the time she fought RR. That's not young for a pro athlete. She's just being a good competitor/champ who was willing to take on the top contender. Dana should have respected that. He would be the worst type of boss to have. Not to mention that they underpay some of their fighters. It was ridiculous how much Nate Diaz made for fighting MJ. 20K to show and 20K to win. It's not like the UFC is hurting for money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be Aldo. It always should have been Aldo. For him to be unbeaten for as long as he was, and be the only featherweight champ to that point, and not get a rematch would be fairly absurd. He got caught by McGregor with a perfect counter, which is legit and in no way a fluke, but it isn't very telling about McGregor vs Aldo beyond the former having legit KO power @145, which everyone already knew.

I have no problem with Edgar getting a shot, I just think it's a bit absurd for Aldo to not get a rematch.

Either one has a hell of a lot more justification than McGregor-Diaz 2. If that's 200, then McGregor should forfeit the belt, and let Aldo and Edgar fight for the featherweight belt.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McGregor gets to pick his fights. He has talked like he is the best fighter in the UFC. He will make history if he loses again to Diaz. Has there ever been a UFC Champ that lost twice to the same non title holder in another division? Diaz has great skills in every aspect of MMA. I think Diaz can beat him again. It's just a bad matchup for McGregor. He let his ego get the best of him. It was funny that he kept talking about beating all of the UFC fighters at any weight. In reality he couldn't handle a guy that is one weight class bigger than him.

RE Aldo vs Edgar: Aldo is hard to take down and keep down. It will probably be another tough fight for both guys.

As much as Aldo deserves a fight with McGregor. I think he has the least chance of beating McGregor compared to Edgar or Diaz. I think his style plays right into McGregor's hands unless he uses his kicks to set up punches or changes his strategy and uses takedowns and his BJJ skills. He doesn't have the reach of a fighter like Diaz or wrestling skills of Edgar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as Aldo deserves a fight with McGregor. I think he has the least chance of beating McGregor compared to Edgar or Diaz. I think his style plays right into McGregor's hands unless he uses his kicks to set up punches or changes his strategy and uses takedowns and his BJJ skills. He doesn't have the reach of a fighter like Diaz or wrestling skills of Edgar.

I'd argue that's exactly what he should do, and maybe that was his intent, but at times it seems like he becomes a bit to reliant on his hands and doesn't fully utilize his full arsenal. Then again, he hadn't lost in over a decade.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An interim belt puts a little pressure on McGregor to fight the interim belt holder to remain Champ. One of these guys will definitely get next fight with him. I think McGregor should have to fight all of the top contenders in his division. That's what a true Champ would do.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see McGregor shut Aldo up indefinitely. Aldo has been running his mouth on social media ever since McGregor got KO'd by Diaz.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not official yet, as seen by the date (shortly after the Diaz win). UFC 200 was already signed for Aldo to face Edgar again. But Aldo wants his rematch with McGregor.

McGregor's Twitter handle is TheNotoriousMMA if you haven't figured that out.