• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayweather stripped of WBO wealterweight title

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floyd Mayweather Jr. stripped of WBO welterweight title

The WBO stripped pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather of his welterweight world title on Monday for his failure to comply with the organization's rules.

Mayweather claimed the WBO welterweight title when he outpointed Manny Pacquiao on May 2 in a 147-pound unification fight that shattered all financial records for a boxing match, including total gross, pay-per-view subscriptions, closed circuit revenue, live gate, foreign television sales and sponsorships.

Mayweather, who holds two other alphabet welterweight world titles, let come and go the 4:30 p.m. ET Friday deadline by which he had to pay a $200,000 sanctioning fee from the May 2 fight (for which he earned more than $220 million) and vacate the two junior middleweight titles he also holds.

"The WBO world championship committee is allowed no other alternative but to cease to recognize Mr. Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the WBO welterweight champion of the world and vacate his title for failing to comply with our WBO regulations of world championship contests," the WBO wrote Monday in its resolution.

It is against sanctioning organization rules for boxers to hold world titles in multiple weight classes. The WBC and WBA had been breaking their own rules by allowing Mayweather to hold their titles, but the WBO upheld its rules.

Typically, the WBO will allow a fighter 10 days to decide which weight class he wants to continue to hold the title in, if he wins one in another weight division. The WBO gave Mayweather major leeway -- two months.

Once the Friday deadline expired, the WBO sent the issue to its championship committee, which voted Monday afternoon to strip Mayweather of the belt for not complying with either request.

"The WBO has the utmost respect for Floyd Mayweather Jr. and all that he has accomplished during his storied career," the WBO wrote in its resolution. "Mr. Mayweather has always agreed with and understood that world championships have both privileges and responsibilities and that status as WBO champion is subject to and conditioned on compliance with the WBO rules and regulations."

Continue reading on link.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How dare they do that to such a class act like Mayweather.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't pay 200k? Guess all that child support is getting to him.

CodeBreaker

Dismember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This dude earned my respect when he beat Pac fair and square. FYI I'm a Filipino and a Pac fan. We can't just deny his skills, hard work and dedication. But still, his attitude outside the ring disgusts me. Good move from WBO.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't pay 200k? Guess all that child support is getting to him.

They said "give up your Two (2 > 1) belts at 154 pounds, AND give us $200k. Otherwise we'll take our belt and call some other nobody champion.

If I was Mayweather I would have sent them a letter in response to their "demands." It would have read;

To whatever donkey in the WHO offices reads this,
I, Floyd Mayweather (hereafter referred to as The Best Ever) have agreed to let you call me the champion of your organization, and have even added legitimacy to your organization by wearing your belt. Kindly deposit $200,000 directly into my bank account for services rendered, as don't have time to run to a bank just to cash a check for a measly $200k.

Yours truly,
(Sign here)
Floyd Mayweather TBE

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said "give up your Two (2 > 1) belts at 154 pounds, AND give us $200k. Otherwise we'll take our belt and call some other nobody champion.

If I was Mayweather I would have sent them a letter in response to their "demands." It would have read;

To whatever donkey in the WHO offices reads this,
I, Floyd Mayweather (hereafter referred to as The Best Ever) have agreed to let you call me the champion of your organization, and have even added legitimacy to your organization by wearing your belt. Kindly deposit $200,000 directly into my bank account for services rendered, as don't have time to run to a bank just to cash a check for a measly $200k.

Yours truly,
(Sign here)
Floyd Mayweather TBE

The 2 other belts were junior titles at another weight. If I was him, I would give those 2 belts + $200k to keep the world championship belt.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2 other belts were junior titles at another weight. If I was him, I would give those 2 belts + $200k to keep the world championship belt.

There are 3 belts that most consider the major titles. If you hold all 3 you can claim to be the undisputed champion, which rarely happens. Actually I think these days you have to hold 4 belts, as a 4th or has joined the others. On top of those 4, Ring magazine also kind of picks who they think is best among the champions from the 4 organizations and calls them the Ring champion. On top of that they keep track of the "lineal champion" who is literally the man who beat the man, and doesn't include the belts that were stripped like this one from Mayweather.

The three main organizations are; WBA, WBO, and WBC. With the IBF being rated almost as high by some.

Mayweather holds the WBA and WBC belts at junior middleweight. Which is the 154 pound weight class.
Pacquiao held the WBO title at Welterweight, which is the 147 pound weight class.

They didn't ask him to give up a jr belt in order to get the world championship belt. They told him to give up the World championship titles from the WBA and WBC at 154 in order to keep the WBO title at 147. This is what's known as the alphabet soup titles and what a lot of people complain about.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IBF has been around longer than the WBO.

but to the case at hand. Title don't mean Shit to Mayweather nowadays. Just his 0.
If he is actually only going to fight one more fight before retiring. Who cares if he is stripped of a title. No one is paying attention to him defending a title. They are watching him to see him defend his undefeated streak.

He honestly doesn't need any titles at all. If some one had to choose. Fight Floyd for no title, or fight for a championship, everyone would choose to fight Floyd right now. (unless they were afraid)

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FM only cares about $. Just ask him. Since he's probably retiring after his next fight, can you really blame him for not paying $200,000 to hold the belt for another few months? He may be rich, but $200k isn't chump change.