• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maverick Makes a great point, and other people's misfortune

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Panthers' game thread Maverick brings up the very real fact that both the Red Wings and the Penguins are facing a problem that the Flyers seem to have turned the corner on...injuries.

Voracek should be returning this week, maybe as soon as Tuesday. Neuvirth had a stomach flu, he too should be back in uniform this week. That leaves the only significant Flyer's injuries as AMac with a "lower body injury" and MDZ who is done for the season.

The Penguins loose Malkin for 6 - 8 weeks. That is huge.

The Red Wings loose Kronwall for a TBD period. Also huge.

Also, who and how does Hakstol work the lineup with Jake back? It has been doing well, but the PP last night it was obvious that his one timer and puck skills were missing. He goes back on the top PP unit and Streit goes back down to the second unit (which looked better without him).

Either Simmonds or Schenn moves down to the second line w/ Cooter moving most likely Gagner down to the third line with Laughton and Cousins... or out of the lineup. Does Gagner sit? or Laughton? or VandeVelde?
This is actually a nice problem...too many parts all working well at the same time.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The easiest way to solve the roster issue upon the return of Voracek is to just plug Jake where Gagner is and bench Gagner. There's only one issue with that. Has Gagner played too well to be benched entirely?

Well, if Gagner stays, I think the decision of who to sit instead is almost equally difficult. We wouldn't bench a penalty killer or a top six guy. That leaves Cousins, Laughton and White. These are guys that are also playing much better as of late, especially the duo of Laughton/Cousins. I wouldn't mess with that.

There's also no way to do it without forming new lines.

So, why shuffle guys around and change virtually every line anyway when we're basically humming along?

I think we have to leave the top line as is and just insert Voracek where Gagner is on the second. This exact line was previously dominating. Beyond that, either simply bench Sam or try to make the third (and fourth) line(s) more of a scoring force, while benching White ultimately.

Suddenly we seem fairly deep again at the forward position here.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with not touching the top line. Leave Schenn and Simmonds with G, it's clicking. I would insert Jake on the 2nd line RW with Coots and bump down Gagner to 3rd and Read to 4th. I would sit either VV or White at this point.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way you can bench Gagner in my mind. Gagner, Schenn, and Giroux have been carrying the team offensively. He's got 5 goals in his last 10 games. Schenn has 6 to lead the team in that span, but he had 3 of those in one game. Goals are too hard to come by to take Gagner out of the lineup.

i'd also have a hard time benching White the way he's playing in front of the net right now.

I don't love it, but to me, it's gotta be Cousins or Laughton.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to bench anyone right now the way we are playing. I would bench VV and I know he's very important to our penalty kill but remember our penalty kill with him is ranked 22nd in the league.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we base this just on who is being used the most and least to this point, Laughton would be benched. Nobody is getting fewer minutes than him and Cousins has taken over the 3rd line center position anyway. He's not on the power play, doesn't kill penalties and doesn't score often enough, so I'm good with this move.

I'm also fine with dismissing White. Other than some grit and a screen for the second power play unit, he really doesn't provide much. He's often too slow (or overstaying his shift), turns the puck over and can take bed penalties at times.

We can't find another guy to screen the goalie on the second power play unit?

To me, that doesn't even matter much. The first unit will eventually be humming along with Jake back at full speed anyway.

Last edited:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely don't touch what is working if you truly want to make a run at the playoffs. I'd suggest sitting Laughton and plugging Voracek in there to start, plus PP duty. He can work his way back up as members of the top 2 lines cool off. I suspect Jake is enough of a professional to understand the rational behind this. No point in putting him on the 4th line, and we know Hakstol really likes the VV-Bellemare-White line anyway.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading Bill Meltzer yesterday and looking back at the last couple games it looks like Laughton is the one to sit. Jake would either go back with G and everyone move down one, or Jake would play with Cousins in Laughton's spot and then go back on the top PP.
... when he is ready to play.