• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maurkice Pouncey Retiring

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't been confirmed or announced by Pouncey yet, but its all but certain.

Dude deserves his own thread.... 9x Pro Bowl, 3x 1st team All-Pro, 2x 2nd team All-Pro selection... Helluva player & a linchpin to this O-line for a decade. Team first guy and a great leader. The last 2 years were pretty self-evident of declining play.

He won't ever be favored over the likes of Webster or Dawson, but he's in the discussion. Biggest knock being his longevity. I don't think either Iron Mike or Dirt were as mobile as 'Kice was. Pouncey's ability to pull & get to the second level was 2nd to none of those guys. He did that at an elite level for 9+ years. Plus I've never seen a Steelers O-lineman with more violent hands as he had.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude deserves his own thread.... 9x Pro Bowl and 3x 1st team All-Pro selection... Helluva player & a linchpin to this O-line for a decade. Team first guy and a great leader. The last 2 years were pretty self-evident of declining play.

He won't ever be favored over the likes of Webster or Dawson, but he's in the discussion. Biggest knock being his longevity. I don't think either Iron Mike or Dirt were as mobile as 'Kice was. Pouncey's ability to pull & get to the second level was 2nd to none of those guys. He did that at an elite level for 9+ years. Plus I've never seen a Steelers O-lineman with more violent hands as he had.
Very well put. I remember ppl going “wth a center” when they drafted him.”

but man hes been just awesome. If its his time, then what a career he had.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude deserves his own thread.... 9x Pro Bowl and 3x 1st team All-Pro selection... Helluva player & a linchpin to this O-line for a decade. Team first guy and a great leader. The last 2 years were pretty self-evident of declining play.

Yeah. He may not be at the level of Webster or Dawson but he certainly took the torch and did it justice.

Good luck on whatever is next for Pounce. And bravo on a fine career.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well put. I remember ppl going “wth a center” when they drafted him.”

but man hes been just awesome. If its his time, then what a career he had.
No doubt. I wasn't exactly thrilled about the pick at the time. Had some red flags at Florida, but he was a vocal leader with great talent. And the Steelers were in a rough spot on their O-line. IIRC it was Doug Legursky, Justin Hartwig & Sean Mahan who played center before him... And those guys were retreads from other teams. Late round pick journeymen type O-lineman. Legursky was even a UDFA that hung around for the Steelers' final 2 Super Bowl runs in '09 & '11. I remember he fumbled a snap in SB XLV that cost the Steelers 2 points lol. Sound familiar?

It's a shame that Pouncey never got a ring. At least he got to play for one in 2011. There's been a lot of players in NFL history that have a good resume like his that never even got a shot at a ring.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I should have done some research first... Could be fake news

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to either decide to retire, or be told he's retiring.

He was great in his prime. The last few years his play has dropped off a lot. He can't handle the power game at all, and his snaps are obviously just below the line at this point.

A C is a high priority need in this draft. Hopefully taking one in R2 or R3.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dickerson or Myers should be a Steeler next year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to either decide to retire, or be told he's retiring.

He was great in his prime. The last few years his play has dropped off a lot. He can't handle the power game at all, and his snaps are obviously just below the line at this point.

A C is a high priority need in this draft. Hopefully taking one in R2 or R3.
I just don't see Ben wanting to play if 'Kice retires. I don't think either wants to play if the other retires. But if both retire, then the Steelers can rip the damn bandaid off and hit the hard reset.

Draft... LT & C are big priorities right now. They should be able to resign Banner for cheap, but I don't know if either him or Chuks would be a fit at LT.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see Ben wanting to play if 'Kice retires. I don't think either wants to play if the other retires. But if both retire, then the Steelers can rip the damn bandaid off and hit the hard reset.

Draft... LT & C are big priorities right now. They should be able to resign Banner for cheap, but I don't know if either him or Chuks would be a fit at LT.
Sam Cosmi or Alex Leatherwood in R1. That's your LT

Dickerson or Myers in R2. That's your OC.

Then Kevin Dotson LG, DeCastro RG (Need some continuity), Banner RT.

That's your 2021 Line, I hope.

I also like Jackson Carman or Deonte Brown in R3 as an OT/OG. Just laser focus on that OL.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Cosmi or Alex Leatherwood in R1. That's your LT

Dickerson or Myers in R2. That's your OC.

Then Kevin Dotson LG, DeCastro RG (Need some continuity), Banner RT.

That's your 2021 Line, I hope.

I also like Jackson Carman or Deonte Brown in R3 as an OT/OG. Just laser focus on that OL.
OL class is deep this year. No reason they shouldn't be able to find 2 starters. May take some time to gel though, but its long overdue.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pull the Plug on Pouncey, whether he wants to go or not.
tenor.gif

(just wanted an excuse to post this.)

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was great but this last few seasons put a black eye on his career. Too many folks will remember the end and on the great years.
Anyway as much I hate to say this no matter what they have to move on.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was great but this last few seasons put a black eye on his career. Too many folks will remember the end and on the great years.
Anyway as much I hate to say this no matter what they have to move on.
I think I'll remember the black eye of wearing those "Free Hernandez" hats more than the black eye from his declining play.

Its Always Sunny Reaction GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Next stop for him will be the HOF. Since he's retiring can he take BigBen with him? It seems like he's been the Steelers QB for the last 25 years.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next stop for him will be the HOF. Since he's retiring can he take BigBen with him? It seems like he's been the Steelers QB for the last 25 years.
Going to be a long wait on Canton if so. Canton has been holding out Alan Faneca for going on 6 years now... And his NFL resume:

6x 1st Team AP
2x 2nd Team AP
9x Pro Bowler
Super Bowl XL Champion
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be a long wait on Canton if so. Canton has been holding out Alan Faneca for going on 6 years now... And his NFL resume:

6x 1st Team AP
2x 2nd Team AP
9x Pro Bowler
Super Bowl XL Champion

Holy crap. No question he has the resume to be in the HOF. What's the deal, is there like a back-up of OL's waiting to get in? Makes no sense he's not in yet.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy crap. No question he has the resume to be in the HOF. What's the deal, is there like a back-up of OL's waiting to get in? Makes no sense he's not in yet.
Kinda sorta... Seems like they only try to put in 1 O-lineman per class. 2020 class has Steve Hutchinson, and 2019 class had Kevin Mawae. Faneca had a better resume than both... This year's class was sort of bad timing with so many Steelers being in the finalists group so he got excluded. Donnie Shell, Troy Polamalu & Bill Cowher made it in 2020.

He's a finalist once again for the 2021 HOF class... And he's the only O-lineman & Steeler on this year's finalist ballot. Hopefully he makes it this year.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6x 1st Team AP
2x 2nd Team AP
9x Pro Bowler
Super Bowl XL Champion
hutch and maw were great great players, faneca was better, shame, he'll get his.....he better........shoulda played for a crappy franchise