• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Ryan is a failure and fraud

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling UGA will shuffle a few HCs out before they find "their guy". Smart's hype seems similar to Muschamp's at Florida. Anybody who thinks UGA will be better right away after kicking Richt to the curb is wearing some rose tinted glasses IMO.

I don't expect this to be a Ray Goff situation but I can see that happening...especially if Smart doesn't pick the right OC.

Richt...admittedly I'm not a huge CFB guy overall, but I watch the dawgs most every week. I think UGA could go on winning 9 to 10 games a year under Richt for another 5-6 yrs, but I'm not sure he would ever do much better than winning the east as long as Bama has Saban and LSU is LSU.

As a born and raised VOL guy...winning the east don't look that bad right about now...I agree, I can see a dip next year.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect this to be a Ray Goff situation but I can see that happening...especially if Smart doesn't pick the right OC.

Richt...admittedly I'm not a huge CFB guy overall, but I watch the dawgs most every week. I think UGA could go on winning 9 to 10 games a year under Richt for another 5-6 yrs, but I'm not sure he would ever do much better than winning the east as long as Bama has Saban and LSU is LSU.

As a born and raised VOL guy...winning the east don't look that bad right about now...I agree, I can see a dip next year.
I'm a big Richt supporter so I'll lay my bias down right away. I think the lesser than title results have been mostly because he runs a clean program coupled with untimely injuries. Richt was always ahead of the NCAA on punishment and you can't really blame coaches for the players being knucklheads. UGA's struggle with South Carolina early in the season has historically mostly been a result of star players being suspended. On top of that when we've had a great QB like Murray the defense wasn't able to hold it together. The year we went to the SEC title game I think that was the year we had 6 injured WRs too. Bad timing really.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big Richt supporter so I'll lay my bias down right away. I think the lesser than title results have been mostly because he runs a clean program coupled with untimely injuries. Richt was always ahead of the NCAA on punishment and you can't really blame coaches for the players being knucklheads. UGA's struggle with South Carolina early in the season has historically mostly been a result of star players being suspended. On top of that when we've had a great QB like Murray the defense wasn't able to hold it together. The year we went to the SEC title game I think that was the year we had 6 injured WRs too. Bad timing really.

Richt is a good man, I think he truly cares about those kids on a different than just football...I'm not going to say Saban, etc. don't care, but it was important to Richt to see it work out...I've heard him glow about Mettenberger getting his life turned around even after having to boot him. All of the guys that played for him really view him in a good light.

You're far more connected than I am, but the grumbling for Richt's head got a lot louder after the FL loss....needing OT to beat GA Southern didn't help I'm sure.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richt is a good man, I think he truly cares about those kids on a different than just football...I'm not going to say Saban, etc. don't care, but it was important to Richt to see it work out...I've heard him glow about Mettenberger getting his life turned around even after having to boot him. All of the guys that played for him really view him in a good light.

You're far more connected than I am, but the grumbling for Richt's head got a lot louder after the FL loss....needing OT to beat GA Southern didn't help I'm sure.
We lost our star player. If our star player was a QB and the RB was out for the season it wouldn't have made a huge difference but the fact that our star player was the RB (who the offense went through) put a damper on the season. Honestly I'm surprised we have had as many wins as we have had.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We lost our star player. If our star player was a QB and the RB was out for the season it wouldn't have made a huge difference but the fact that our star player was the RB (who the offense went through) put a damper on the season. Honestly I'm surprised we have had as many wins as we have had.

Yeah, Chubb was a beast, but RB was supposed to be so deep with Michel and (drawing a blank) behind him...I just think the natives started circling the wagons after that FL loss.

On the whole...I'm with you...Richt would still be the man in charge...I might have asked him to take over play calling again (which he seemingly wants to do). The big problem with college football in general but especially in the SEC, it's a huge jump from HS football...a 4 or 5 star kid even playing in 6A might not be what you thought when he gets on the big stage...so the big wig alumni hear all these 4/5 star guys coming and they see how many GA guys go to the pros and do well they think Richt is not getting the most out of them at UGA.

In either case I wish Smart and the dawgs well...I'm quite sure Richt will be fine down in MIA.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Chubb was a beast, but RB was supposed to be so deep with Michel and (drawing a blank) behind him...I just think the natives started circling the wagons after that FL loss.

On the whole...I'm with you...Richt would still be the man in charge...I might have asked him to take over play calling again (which he seemingly wants to do). The big problem with college football in general but especially in the SEC, it's a huge jump from HS football...a 4 or 5 star kid even playing in 6A might not be what you thought when he gets on the big stage...so the big wig alumni hear all these 4/5 star guys coming and they see how many GA guys go to the pros and do well they think Richt is not getting the most out of them at UGA.

In either case I wish Smart and the dawgs well...I'm quite sure Richt will be fine down in MIA.
I would put the lack of development on the position coaches. They've been cycled through based on performance like any other team. I don't think the head coach should be to blame for that IMO. As a head coach you only have control and attention on so much.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR...Ryan was 3rd overall.

More on Ryan vs Flacco...I've seen just about every Falcon game and a considerable amount for the Ravens obviously...in the playoffs when the games matter the most...Clearly Joe has separated himself Matt...that's really the end of the conversation. Career wise, because of better post season performance, there's no question imo, you have to give the nod to Flacco.

I was going to end the post here...But...when you say success and failure and apply it to the QB without recognizing the strength of the team overall (as it looks as if you've done), I have to take notice...You mentioned Marino...he was every bit the QB that Montana was, (imo the best pure passer of his era) just never had the supporting cast much like Ryan has never had the DEF support that Flacco has enjoyed (until this season).

You know this better than anyone...to hoist a Lombardi (the ultimate success in this league) you need a running game and a DEF to complement a solid OFC....the closest the Falcons have come to that was the '98 season. The most complete Ryan led Falcons team was '13, great OFC with Tony G, Julio, Roddy and Turner, but and they had a weak pass rush, it was John Abraham or it was John Abraham. That season they were opportunistic (strong turnover margin) much like the Saints D when they won the SB.

You have to notice that Joe has never had the receiving corp that Ryan has had almost his whole time in Atlanta and our D was ranked 17th when we won SB 47 with Joe, they lost several games for us that season and continue to be an achilles heel to us still today...I'm not dissing Ryan, I have said it is puzzling to me why he has been so ineffective, given his talent and experience....
I thought Mike Smith may have been the problem there and that Quinn would turn it around, and he deserves time to do that yet....Sometimes it's just bad luck, like we've been having this year....

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played absolutely pathetic. Just idiotic throws. He's keeping his team from getting to the next level.

I have only seen one of his games this year and this did not apply in that game, but is he Matt Schaubing it? I saw four red zone interceptions and a few of them were at end of game situations. That's sort of like pick sixes in non-end of game situations.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about a failure and a fraud, but he's toothier than Seabiscuit...

And I'd never think he could beat War Admiral.

OR win a playoff game that really mattered.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would put the lack of development on the position coaches. They've been cycled through based on performance like any other team. I don't think the head coach should be to blame for that IMO. As a head coach you only have control and attention on so much.

Yep, but who does that point to?

I thought he should have eased the new OC into the job by calling plays himself after Bobo...i.e. kind of groomed him a little more, but he took the Bowden approach and delegated...in the end it all comes back on the HC anyway...but that would be only problem with Richt and you can see that came at the end of his tenure pretty much.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to notice that Joe has never had the receiving corp that Ryan has had almost his whole time in Atlanta and our D was ranked 17th when we won SB 47 with Joe, they lost several games for us that season and continue to be an achilles heel to us still today...I'm not dissing Ryan, I have said it is puzzling to me why he has been so ineffective, given his talent and experience....
I thought Mike Smith may have been the problem there and that Quinn would turn it around, and he deserves time to do that yet....Sometimes it's just bad luck, like we've been having this year....

I don't think you've tried to diss Ryan and even if you did if it's warranted (like it is right now) I would be inline with you.

But, if you're telling me that ATL and BAL had pretty much the same level of talent around the two QBs...I strongly disagree...even as a 17th ranked D, there was a hole or two maybe...but you had playmakers upfront, in the middle and on the backend...FS is a HOFer, Ray should be, Suggs is borderline, certainly a multi-yr pro bowler, Ngata as well...imo ATL had 1 DEF player that no doubt would have started on that Ravens team....John Abraham. William Moore at SS could've started for the Ravens, but that's it.

Under GM Dimitroff, ATL has been a OFC dominated team, so yes, Ryan has had better outside weapons and you see that in the passing stats, but in terms of winning the big games...the DEF had to factor more than it did in ATL when they were on their playoff runs under Mike Smith.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you've tried to diss Ryan and even if you did if it's warranted (like it is right now) I would be inline with you.

But, if you're telling me that ATL and BAL had pretty much the same level of talent around the two QBs...I strongly disagree...even as a 17th ranked D, there was a hole or two maybe...but you had playmakers upfront, in the middle and on the backend...FS is a HOFer, Ray should be, Suggs is borderline, certainly a multi-yr pro bowler, Ngata as well...imo ATL had 1 DEF player that no doubt would have started on that Ravens team....John Abraham. William Moore at SS could've started for the Ravens, but that's it.

Under GM Dimitroff, ATL has been a OFC dominated team, so yes, Ryan has had better outside weapons and you see that in the passing stats, but in terms of winning the big games...the DEF had to factor more than it did in ATL when they were on their playoff runs under Mike Smith.

I see your point but I think you're missing mine....Our D may have been better over the 7 yrs leading up to this one which it has been terrible...
But the offset is that Ryan has had by far the best O weapons around him the same time....
Heck we advanced last yr in the playoffs without Ray,Reed and a putrid secondary....
If I wasn't a Ravens fan , I would still pick Flacco over Ryan based on his ability to win in big games...
But I understand that it's a never ending debate, football politics !! :D

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan loses another game for the Falcons

this guy is pure trash

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point but I think you're missing mine....Our D may have been better over the 7 yrs leading up to this one which it has been terrible...
But the offset is that Ryan has had by far the best O weapons around him the same time....
Heck we advanced last yr in the playoffs without Ray,Reed and a putrid secondary....
If I wasn't a Ravens fan , I would still pick Flacco over Ryan based on his ability to win in big games...
But I understand that it's a never ending debate, football politics !! :D

I think I got your point...strong D for Joe offset by strong OFC/weapons for Ryan.

I'd take either one really, but I'd build the team like BAL did and I probably get a ring with both.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get it. It is like a switch has flicked with him. His whole career has been much better than these last 6 games. He is hitting defenders in the numbers. It is not his supporting cast or lack thereof. It is his decision making and his accuracy that is off.
There is something going on with him that is not evident right now.
He was a very good QB and guys just don't go from very good to terrible overnight

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Matt Ryan was my first-round-bust pick in 2008, this thread warms my heart. :)

Who's the fool here? Drafting him, or any QB other than Manning or Brady, in the 1st round is stupid.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get it. It is like a switch has flicked with him. His whole career has been much better than these last 6 games. He is hitting defenders in the numbers. It is not his supporting cast or lack thereof. It is his decision making and his accuracy that is off.
There is something going on with him that is not evident right now.
He was a very good QB and guys just don't go from very good to terrible overnight

Agreed...Matt wasn't terrible yesterday actually until the last OFC play for ATL...trying to force it.

The loss yesterday was more on the DEF letting Winston get that 3rd and 19 out of nothing.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So is it time people finally realize what a fraud this guy is? The dude has probably had one of the best set of receivers of ALL TIME early on, yet he sucks it up with such regularity, there's no justification for all the hype he gets.

I fully admit I'm biased because he was my 2008 first-round-bust pick, but if he were the 49ers' QB, I'd have been calling for him to have been replaced since day 1 (and he probably would've been by now throwing to Not-Julio-Jones).

Has the world woken up yet? Or do they still think this guy is a good QB?