• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Harvey may need TJ Surgery

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible news for Mets fans and fantasy owners. Trust me I know how it feels to lose a promising starter for an extended period of time being a Diamondbacks fan... we lost Brandon Webb when he was entering his prime and Daniel Hudson who looked to be a solid number 2 starter for years to come. Both of their careers are likely over... I really hope Harvey can bounce back and return in 2015 and get back to full strength... dude was a beast. Such a shame... there's still a chance he may not need TJ but if he does then ouch.

Do you guys think they should've shut him down earlier?

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantasy owners can't complain too much. He probably only had another 3-4 starts before they shut him down anyway.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the story, this again just goes to show that you can keep track of pitches and put innings limits on guys all you want, pitching is a destructive activity and they're going to get hurt eventually. The Mets handled him perfectly and here we are.

If he needs TJS, I feel like it's better to get it out of the way early in your career while your body can rebound quickly and your best years are still in front of you.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantasy owners can't complain too much. He probably only had another 3-4 starts before they shut him down anyway.

Yeah but the playoffs start this or next week in most leagues... he's a difference maker. Not to mention all the keeper league owners that could lose him for a year.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said on the Mets board, my fear since day 1 with Harvey and Wheeler is that they may turn into Kerry Wood/Mark Prior 2.0.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the story, this again just goes to show that you can keep track of pitches and put innings limits on guys all you want, pitching is a destructive activity and they're going to get hurt eventually. The Mets handled him perfectly and here we are.

If he needs TJS, I feel like it's better to get it out of the way early in your career while your body can rebound quickly and your best years are still in front of you.

Yup. Even the most "reliable" pitchers aren't reliable.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,718.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a tough break for the Mets

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a tough break for the Mets

wow...Harvey...hope it doesn't Liriano, Wood or Prior him....and people complained about Stras being shut down....maybe this will be the last one, lol, right.

"perfectly"...don't know...shutting young pitchers down maybe in a step progression....150....170...the first two years would do it....but it happened for Kris Medlen in under 150....the fact is...nobody can handle it perfectly...each player is different.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said on the Mets board, my fear since day 1 with Harvey and Wheeler is that they may turn into Kerry Wood/Mark Prior 2.0.
Luckily, the Reds seem to love Dusty Baker, so that's one less thing to worry about.

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow...Harvey...hope it doesn't Liriano, Wood or Prior him....and people complained about Stras being shut down....maybe this will be the last one, lol, right.

"perfectly"...don't know...shutting young pitchers down maybe in a step progression....150....170...the first two years would do it....but it happened for Kris Medlen in under 150....the fact is...nobody can handle it perfectly...each player is different.

The Nats were in a pennant race last year, now look at where they are at. They were criticized b/c they took winning for granted by claiming that they be on top of the NL east for the next few years. They could of done a 6 man rotation the last few months and have Strasburg for the playoffs.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nats were in a pennant race last year, now look at where they are at. They were criticized b/c they took winning for granted by claiming that they be on top of the NL east for the next few years. They could of done a 6 man rotation the last few months and have Strasburg for the playoffs.

completely agree...you never know when someone's arm is going to go...and there is no magic innings number...let them pitch til it pops....was done for 100 years...but now they can rebuild it...deal with it when it happens...

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him at his lowest value? I'd much rather gamble at getting Harvey at 80% of what he was and dealing some of our other arms. He's a potential face of the franchise guy and we wouldn't get the return he deserves trading him this offseason.