• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland Game Thread

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on the ST. I'm not sure if that's eFore or execution. You can't blame Efore for the muffed punt. We also blocked a punt. But allowing a return TD and blocked FG... Gah...

DH still hasn't learned clock management. Too many go for it on 4th down. We left a lot of points on the board. This shouldn';t have been close. It felt like a poorly managed game.

At the end of the day, continued problems, be it execution, teaching, clock management, poor player decisions, it is on the coaches. Holgorsen needs to learn clock management BAD, The end of the first half the kid ran headlong into a punt returner who had signaled fair catch, BAD. we fielded kicks at the one AGAIN, MAC, a physical error, muffed punt, and to an extent fumbles aren't on the coaches either (but some on here think it is a piece of cake to teach away fumbles........) Leaving the last TO of the first half on the table with the game getting out of control was BAD.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left two TOs on the board at the end too. I missed the first half, so I don't know what happened there. I'm not arguing with you on the coaching mistakes, there were a bunch!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the questions about Dana's offenses getting worse can be laid to rest...for now. 108 offensive plays. Almost 700 yards of offense...over a 9 1/2 minute advantage in TOP.

A few glaring mistakes which lead to some big plays, but overall it is great to see the team overcome adversity of their own making to get a great road win in a hostile environment.

A great feeling watching Josh's kick go right up the middle...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the questions about Dana's offenses getting worse can be laid to rest...for now. 108 offensive plays. Almost 700 yards of offense...over a 9 1/2 minute advantage in TOP.

A few glaring mistakes which lead to some big plays, but overall it is great to see the team overcome adversity of their own making to get a great road win in a hostile environment.

A great feeling watching Josh's kick go right up the middle...

Indeed, it should never have come to it, but it was GREAT to get the win on the kick!! The offense has not been the biggest issue, the defense and STs have been the downfall of the team, but last year the offense took a big step backward. The STs have TONS of work to do, and the defense gave up some HUGE plays today to an offense that cant be mentioned in the same breath as some coming up. Work to do all around, game management being priority one.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We as fans should not overreact to the mistakes made by the team in one game.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad we were still able to record the W. Good time for those mistakes to pop up too. We have a week to make corrections and whoop the Sooners.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should not get overly optimistic about this team, we as fans get carried away and think they are better then they really are. I still see 3-4 more losses this year.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should not get overly optimistic about this team, we as fans get carried away and think they are better then they really are. I still see 3-4 more losses this year.

I'll address some of that stuff later but for now I'm gonna enjoy the win. Way to go Mounties!

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We as fans should not overreact to the mistakes made by the team in one game.

Nor should we overreact to a win over a second tier team that was saved by a long field goal. The mistakes noted are NOT one game errors, they are ongoing concerns. Clock management, going for it on 4th down rather than kicking the field goal, giving up big leads, special teams gaffs are long term problems that seemingly are not being addressed.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saved by a long FG?
We never trailed in this game, winning on a FG is saving yourself these days....damn there are teams all over the country every year and every week that probably don't know they are just saving themselves...they had a big lead in the first quarter...not like we lost a big lead in the fourth...how about talking about a defense that shut MD down in the second half, how about a offense that started on their own 12 and went down the field to win the game, how about overcoming 4 TO's to win the game, 3rd down defense that finally showed up.

What clock management issues? Did these issues hurt us today? Kicking the FG I see asking why, but maybe he was looking at what the defense was doing and was confident we would stop them like we did the entire second half except one play early in third...are you not a defensive guy? I thought you would be all about that......

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saved by a long FG?
We never trailed in this game, winning on a FG is saving yourself these days....damn there are teams all over the country every year and every week that probably don't know they are just saving themselves...they had a big lead in the first quarter...not like we lost a big lead in the fourth...how about talking about a defense that shut MD down in the second half, how about a offense that started on their own 12 and went down the field to win the game, how about overcoming 4 TO's to win the game, 3rd down defense that finally showed up.

What clock management issues? Did these issues hurt us today? Kicking the FG I see asking why, but maybe he was looking at what the defense was doing and was confident we would stop them like we did the entire second half except one play early in third...are you not a defensive guy? I thought you would be all about that......

Shut them down???? REALLY huh, during this game our defense gave up two TD plays from scrimmage over 75 yards. Our STs gave up a 69 yard punt return for a TD, We gave up those two TDs right before the half because no coach wanted to get control of the team. I guess it is better to run up a 22 point lead and give it away in the 2nd quarter than the 4th?????????? No defensive guy would ever be happy with a 40-37 game where you gave up three TD plays over 69 yards, and giving up 19 points to them in the second is HARDLY shutting them down. I saw a team run out to a 22 point lead and squander it only to win on a field goal with no time left. The drive for the final FG started at the 5, NOT the 12, and it was great to see that drive for the game, but the drama was not necessary had the game been managed and called properly earlier.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about stopping them on their last 10 third down attempts, giving the ball up inside the 10 and holding them to a FG, almost most 50 conversion rate on our third downs, block punt by special teams..there were a handful of plays that we're costly today...4th downs did not cost us a thing and I bet on a day were the defense is not performing very well he does take the points. Hell of a lot more positive about this game than negative.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about stopping them on their last 10 third down attempts, giving the ball up inside the 10 and holding them to a FG, almost most 50 conversion rate on our third downs, block punt by special teams..there were a handful of plays that we're costly today...4th downs did not cost us a thing and I bet on a day were the defense is not performing very well he does take the points. Hell of a lot more positive about this game than negative.

Yes there were some positives, we had twice the first downs they had, 50% more TOP, 40% more yardage, BUT the things that were wrong today would result in a loss to a better team. I was glad to get the win, and avenge last years debacle, but it exposed things in our defense, STs, and mindset that will be utilized against WVU in the coming weeks, I hope there is work done before next week on ALL these things.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shut them down???? REALLY huh, during this game our defense gave up two TD plays from scrimmage over 75 yards. Our STs gave up a 69 yard punt return for a TD, We gave up those two TDs right before the half because no coach wanted to get control of the team. I guess it is better to run up a 22 point lead and give it away in the 2nd quarter than the 4th?????????? No defensive guy would ever be happy with a 40-37 game where you gave up three TD plays over 69 yards, and giving up 19 points to them in the second is HARDLY shutting them down. I saw a team run out to a 22 point lead and squander it only to win on a field goal with no time left. The drive for the final FG started at the 5, NOT the 12, and it was great to see that drive for the game, but the drama was not necessary had the game been managed and called properly earlier.

Special teams counts as the defense now? Defense gave up 10 points in second half...with one of those scores 10 seconds into the third quarter....so basically yes the defense shut them down the rest of the game even though we gave them the ball inside our 10 stopped them on their last 10 third down attempts..point about the lead is there is a lot of time left in the game, games are back and fourth..UMD took our punch and we took their punch. Pretty pathetic attempt at your hate agenda but even more pathetic on your part is you not realizing they didn't give up the LEAD until the fourth quarter and never trailed which is actually the most important thing about this game.

No coach wanted to get control of the team???? One was blown coverage which happens and the second was just a hell of a catch and pass..Dillon was there. Your constant attack on coaches in control of the team is crap...they scored those two TDs almost 5 minutes apart....not sure what the hell you are watching. Seems you always spect this team to be perfect every play and every game when no team in the country is able to accomplish that.

Leave it to dad to turn a win into some kind of proof a coach can't coach....

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor should we overreact to a win over a second tier team that was saved by a long field goal. The mistakes noted are NOT one game errors, they are ongoing concerns. Clock management, going for it on 4th down rather than kicking the field goal, giving up big leads, special teams gaffs are long term problems that seemingly are not being addressed.

Well, maybe I wont wait because you beat me to it.
I agree Dad, it seems as if Dana has not learned his lesson on what gives your team the best chance to win games. He HAS remembered how to coach offense again :lol: but again, maybe a bowl team will get by with it from time to time but a CHAMPIONSHIP level team doesn't do what we did today, they put teams away and FINISH. Lets hope we can clean it up and beat OU next game. Ill bet we get the same focus from the kids that we did for the Bama game a few weeks ago so, LETS GO!

Last edited by a moderator:

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special teams counts as the defense now? Defense gave up 10 points in second half...with one of those scores 10 seconds into the third quarter....so basically yes the defense shut them down the rest of the game even though we gave them the ball inside our 10 stopped them on their last 10 third down attempts..point about the lead is there is a lot of time left in the game, games are back and fourth..UMD took our punch and we took their punch. Pretty pathetic attempt at your hate agenda but even more pathetic on your part is you not realizing they didn't give up the LEAD until the fourth quarter and never trailed which is actually the most important thing about this game.

No coach wanted to get control of the team???? One was blown coverage which happens and the second was just a hell of a catch and pass..Dillon was there. Your constant attack on coaches in control of the team is crap...they scored those two TDs almost 5 minutes apart....not sure what the hell you are watching. Seems you always spect this team to be perfect every play and every game when no team in the country is able to accomplish that.

Leave it to dad to turn a win into some kind of proof a coach can't coach....

WOW, there is no agenda, you guys need serious help, read your own posts. IF the coaching and play does not improve from yesterday, there will be few more wins to celebrate this year. I do not get the love and apologist attitude for Holgorsen. Did you see what occurred the last 8 minutes of the first half? Points are points, some on here want to count points our defense and STs score as offense, so wtf, the scoreboard only counts points, and that is where we see who won. WVU won because we had more talent, the coaches got outcoached again, if you are indeed happy with the performance yesterday and think it portends success next week...........

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the special DH coaching rules:

Spurrier should be fired since he went for it on fourth down and got LUCKY even though he won the game.

USC coach should be fired for beating Stanford last week and losing to BC this week.

Any coach whose team has to kick last second field goal to win game will be considered lucky and should be fired.

Any coach who a fan thinks is not managing to clock correctly should be fired.

We will update this rule book weekly, thank you and god bless.

Beamer should be gone after losing to ECU, that is only acceptable in your first year.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the special DH coaching rules:

Spurrier should be fired since he went for it on fourth down and got LUCKY even though he won the game.

USC coach should be fired for beating Stanford last week and losing to BC this week.

Any coach whose team has to kick last second field goal to win game will be considered lucky and should be fired.

Any coach who a fan thinks is not managing to clock correctly should be fired.

We will update this rule book weekly, thank you and god bless.

Beamer should be gone after losing to ECU, that is only acceptable in your first year.

IF those things happen in EVERY game, yes, the possibility should be looked at. When again and again a team gets a big lead and blows it to lesser teams, when again and again a coach goes for it on fourth down in the red zone and the margin in the game is three points or less, there are bad decisions being made. Hell using the rules some on here applied to our previous coach, Woody and Bear would have been fired, as 9-4 is horrible.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three lost fumbles kick return td two 75 yard touchdowns against us and two missed 4 th downs missed in the red zone. After all those major errors, we still won. Last year, this team lost these games. We are nowhere near perfection, but we are much better than we were at this point last year.

You can point to missed 4 th down plays in the red zone but with 4 tries we scored 14 points. We could have kicked 4 field goals and only scored 12 points. There were clock management mistakes also, but none of these cost us the game. You can also make the argument that the last missed 4 th down actually won us the game as it ended up in a safety and a short field TD that ultimately won us the game.

In reality, coaching is more about preparation than performance. This team was well prepared for Maryland. The offense was sharp, the defense utterly dominated. Take away Browns two long runs and diggs missed assignment TD, and this is a blowout even with our errors. Take away our errors and we put up over 60 points. This team was well prepared, and well coached coming into this game. I see them capable of running the table if they can play mistake free.

The Maryland game has always been a barometer for this team. We won this one, so I'm expecting a good year.

We may even make 9 wins, bot that won't stop at least one of us to call for the coaches head.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saved by a long FG?

Gotta disagree with you here DC. WVU blew TWO double digit leads and barely came away with a W. And yes DC, WVU indeed needed a 47 yard FG to win. When the game is tied with 4 seconds left, that FG is saving the game. Especially when you held a 22 point lead...