• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maryland Game Thread

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad, lay off the you guys stuff. A lot of us are agreeing with you... So weird. ;)

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta disagree with you here DC. WVU blew TWO double digit leads and barely came away with a W. And yes DC, WVU indeed needed a 47 yard FG to win. When the game is tied with 4 seconds left, that FG is saving the game. Especially when you held a 22 point lead...

You guys keep using the terms "saved" and "barely" came away with a win...we never trailed in the game and a FG was needed to win, that is not saving the game that is just winning it...the game is 4 quarters just because we use every second of that time does not mean it is a bad win...or we were lucky. Each facet of our team had issues at some point during this game and the other two sides of the ball picked them up. Once again we never trailed in this game. Hell Vegas had UMD as 3.5 pt favorites it was a upset. :lol:

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why our fans think our players are better then theirs? They have good players.

People think just because we hung in there with Bama all of a sudden we are contenders. Bama is overrated. We were a 4-8 team last year, we are playing with the same players mostly as last year. They are not all going to be stars overnight. This is part of coaching them up. We lost this game last year by 37 points, and were 3.5 point underdogs coming into this game. We won by 3.I would say that is a good turnaround.

Momentum swings in football games are the norm. We are not a dominant team and are not going to be this year. We owned the first quarter and a half. They owned the second half of the second quarter, and part of the beginning of the third quarter. Our defense shut them down in the second half. There is nothing you can do about momentum swings sometimes.

Yes I disagree with the going for it down close to the goal line, but you people that say we should have used a time out. I ask WHY? We practice the two minute offense all the time, that is pretty much the way we play the entire game. I cannot for the life of me figure out WHY we would have taken timeouts and let the MD defense regroup when we had them on the ropes. I don't question the play calling at all. Why pass the ball when they are playing cover 2 and 3 defense and giving us the running play. I think it was good play calling.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike I am saying our players were better than UMDs players due to the performance on the field in the first half, prior to where I am critical of not taking a time out. I am NOT talking of the second half but the first half, where the last six minutes was a comedy of errors by WVU, on all three sides of the ball, I felt a time out after UMD scored with about 5 1/2 minutes left in the FIRST half, we punted, ran into the kid making the fair catch, got unfocused by the time it was sorted out and play resumed, then gave up the long TD. I give props to the kids for SAVING the game by the drive and FG at the end of the game, but feel poor coaching let UMD get back in it, giving them the momentum at the end of the first half by not getting the defense regrouped with a timely timeout IMO made a 14 point swing, the score at the end of the first half, and the one right out of the gate in the second half.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dad, lay off the you guys stuff. A lot of us are agreeing with you... So weird. ;)

MAC, the "you guys" is addressing four people who know full well who they are, you seem to have a realist view, somewhere between myself and those four Holgorsen/Luck worshippers.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't understand why our fans think our players are better then theirs? They have good players.

People think just because we hung in there with Bama all of a sudden we are contenders. Bama is overrated. We were a 4-8 team last year, we are playing with the same players mostly as last year. They are not all going to be stars overnight. This is part of coaching them up. We lost this game last year by 37 points, and were 3.5 point underdogs coming into this game. We won by 3.I would say that is a good turnaround.

Momentum swings in football games are the norm. We are not a dominant team and are not going to be this year. We owned the first quarter and a half. They owned the second half of the second quarter, and part of the beginning of the third quarter. Our defense shut them down in the second half. There is nothing you can do about momentum swings sometimes.

Yes I disagree with the going for it down close to the goal line, but you people that say we should have used a time out. I ask WHY? We practice the two minute offense all the time, that is pretty much the way we play the entire game. I cannot for the life of me figure out WHY we would have taken timeouts and let the MD defense regroup when we had them on the ropes. I don't question the play calling at all. Why pass the ball when they are playing cover 2 and 3 defense and giving us the running play. I think it was good play calling.

This isn't about WVU being a dominant team. WVU was clearly better than UMD, on the field, yesterday. UMD was not better than us, we made mistakes that allowed them to be in the game. Be it poor execution, poor coaching decisions or just plain bad luck. You can control momentum. You don't get lackadaisical and let them in it.You keep the pedal down and keep pouring it on.

As for the timeouts... You take them because time is running out!! Save the clock and get off 4 plays instead of 2. We all know that this team plays fast. That does not excuse leaving TOs on the board when the clock is running out. You use them so you make the FG more manageable or maybe get a couple extra shots at punching it in. I didn't think it was that difficult to understand why more plays is better.
:L

I don't have an issue with the way the game was called with the exception of going for it on every 4th down, and leaving TOs at the end when we could have ran a few extra plays.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't about WVU being a dominant team. WVU was clearly better than UMD, on the field, yesterday. UMD was not better than us, we made mistakes that allowed them to be in the game. Be it poor execution, poor coaching decisions or just plain bad luck. You can control momentum. You don't get lackadaisical and let them in it.You keep the pedal down and keep pouring it on.

As for the timeouts... You take them because time is running out!! Save the clock and get off 4 plays instead of 2. We all know that this team plays fast. That does not excuse leaving TOs on the board when the clock is running out. You use them so you make the FG more manageable or maybe get a couple extra shots at punching it in. I didn't think it was that difficult to understand why more plays is better.
:L

I don't have an issue with the way the game was called with the exception of going for it on every 4th down, and leaving TOs at the end when we could have ran a few extra plays.

Mac....I understand what you you think the strategy should be...but please tell me how you can argue with what he did when it worked? Hey if he left two in the bag and we didn't get a shot at a FG at the end I could understand everyone pointing it out, but you and some others are saying we had clock management issues when the team went down the field and kicked the game winning FG...so please what was the issue? Why did we need to run more plays?

Second....we only went for it on 4 of 7 4th downs yesterday and converted two....I did not hear one thing about the two that led to TDs for WVU some like to play the "what if" game on here well what if we would not have gone for those two?? and look at where we went for the 4th downs on their 8 and 36 yard line...what's the issue? Maybe he was trying to do what you said pour it on...from the 36 yard line that is one of those areas where you see teams go for it all the time...that grey area between punts and FG...but the bigger picture going for it did not cost us a chance to win the game...you can call it lucky or whatever.

I left the game knowing this team has some things to work out, but I am shocked at some of the things fans are focused on. We got the win brother, I hope they work on all aspects of the team to make them all better for the remainder of the season...I sure as heck hope the team thinks this is some sort of lesser win because they had to win it on a last second FG.

Bring on Oklahoma.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mac....I understand what you you think the strategy should be...but please tell me how you can argue with what he did when it worked? Hey if he left two in the bag and we didn't get a shot at a FG at the end I could understand everyone pointing it out, but you and some others are saying we had clock management issues when the team went down the field and kicked the game winning FG...so please what was the issue? Why did we need to run more plays?

Second....we only went for it on 4 of 7 4th downs yesterday and converted two....I did not hear one thing about the two that led to TDs for WVU some like to play the "what if" game on here well what if we would not have gone for those two?? and look at where we went for the 4th downs on their 8 and 36 yard line...what's the issue? Maybe he was trying to do what you said pour it on...from the 36 yard line that is one of those areas where you see teams go for it all the time...that grey area between punts and FG...but the bigger picture going for it did not cost us a chance to win the game...you can call it lucky or whatever.

I left the game knowing this team has some things to work out, but I am shocked at some of the things fans are focused on. We got the win brother, I hope they work on all aspects of the team to make them all better for the remainder of the season...I sure as heck hope the team thinks this is some sort of lesser win because they had to win it on a last second FG.

Bring on Oklahoma.

Going for it on 4th down at the 36 is NOT the one being questioned, that is no mans land, too far for a field goal, too short for a punt, the one being questioned is inside the 10, where the spread offenses struggle to move anyway due to less real estate to work with. Inside the 20, you kick on 4th down and take the 3 points.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going for it on 4th down at the 36 is NOT the one being questioned, that is no mans land, too far for a field goal, too short for a punt, the one being questioned is inside the 10, where the spread offenses struggle to move anyway due to less real estate to work with. Inside the 20, you kick on 4th down and take the 3 points.

I agree with you there, When the circumstances are what they were yesterday, I say kick the FG.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then basically people are bitching about one 4th down attempt....:L

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then basically people are bitching about one 4th down attempt....:L

Along with the debacle at the end of the first half, those are the two glaring issues, along with the ST issues, and the two long TDs from scrimmage.