• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marlins and Rangers go at it July 24-26

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Cole goes, it's as part of a complete tear-down. Not saying that should or shouldn't happen either way, as I perch upon my favorite spot on the fence.

Agree. If we lose Cole then the goal should be to have guys that are ready to contribute and make a new WS run in 3 years. That's when the new park should be open, right? So the goal should be to mature next year, make the playoffs the following year, and be legit contenders in the third year. That means we would need AA or AAA top prospects coming back. Would need a 1B or 3B, two OF including a CF, a stud level A catcher, and then arms which are crap-shoots for this team.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even want wins until after July 31st.

I sound like a terrible fan for saying that and I apologize.

I agree except for Friday night. And I want Belts to get 3k on Friday too :evil:

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still have serviceable years ahead for Cole. Can't trade an Ace and then lose another in FA and have no #1 next year.
Next year should be worse than this one. Therefore, we won't really need an ace. Besides, I am not sure what caliber of a pitcher Cole will be in 2018 and I really don't see us using the option for him in 2019.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next year should be worse than this one. Therefore, we won't really need an ace. Besides, I am not sure what caliber of a pitcher Cole will be in 2018 and I really don't see us using the option for him in 2019.

Gotta be pretty certain they buy him out, I would think.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would need a 1B or 3B, two OF including a CF, a stud level A catcher, and then arms which are crap-shoots for this team.

I'd be OK with Gallo handling the majority of time at 1st.

And depending on what happens with Beltre at 3rd, Gallo may be moved there within the next season or two.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish's no-trade list revealed. Orioles, Red Sox, Cubs, Indians, Rockies, White Sox, Tigers, A’s, Pirates and Blue Jays. He's probably not pleased that info was made public.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish's no-trade list revealed. Orioles, Red Sox, Cubs, Indians, Rockies, White Sox, Tigers, A’s, Pirates and Blue Jays. He's probably not pleased that info was made public.
All but A's are cold weather cities....Just saying.
Dodgers looking better by the minute.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As DT pointed out, they are all (except Oakland) cold weather cities.

And keep in mind two things (1) This list was compiled approximately 5 years ago, and maybe he's changed his mind, at least about the Cubs, and (2) Just b/c they're on the list, Yu could wave it if enough zeros are on the check.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not concerned about the cities on the list, I'm concerned that Darvish might hold it against the Rangers that the list is out there to begin with. He values privacy.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not concerned about the cities on the list, I'm concerned that Darvish might hold it against the Rangers that the list is out there to begin with. He values privacy.
Doubt that matters once and if we trade Darvish. He won't be coming back even if given the choice. This trade will seem final. Tough choice to make for Daniels, I'm sure.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt that matters once and if we trade Darvish. He won't be coming back even if given the choice. This trade will seem final. Tough choice to make for Daniels, I'm sure.
You're right my friend. At this point, best to lean back and enjoy the show. UNT 101 lol

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't be coming back even if given the choice.

Maybe......Norm talked about this, this morning. And his take was, "why can't the Rangers do the exact same thing the Yankees did just last year with Chapman"?

You trade him, then overpay him to come back, but due to the trade you now have, at least to an extent, replenished the farm with 4 players, and one of them is a top flight MLB prospect for 2018.

Therefore, you've restocked, and now have a positional starter for '18, AND keep a stud starter....And although you're overpaying Yu, you have a positional starter for cheap, for 4/5 years.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe......Norm talked about this, this morning. And his take was, "why can't the Rangers do the exact same thing the Yankees did just last year with Chapman"?

You trade him, then overpay him to come back, but due to the trade you now have, at least to an extent, replenished the farm with 4 players, and one of them is a top flight MLB prospect for 2018.

Therefore, you've restocked, and now have a positional starter for '18, AND keep a stud starter....And although you're overpaying Yu, you have a positional starter for cheap, for 4/5 years.

Until he signs with another team, I have no reason to think the Rangers don't have an honest shot at him long term.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until he signs with another team, I have no reason to think the Rangers don't have an honest shot at him long term.
Watch out. The handicapper will be moving in on ya.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As Romeo has pointed out, you don't see any big name pitchers get traded and then get re-signed by the team that traded them away. Then again, I can't remember too many times that a pitcher like that got traded and the team that traded him even attempted to go out and sign him. In fact, I cannot remember a single time that has happened, but it probaby has. So maybe it is so rare because the second half of that feat is not ever attempted. If the Rangers do attempt to re-sign him after they trade him then I don't see them being at any kind of disadvantage just because they traded him. In fact, all of the advantages they have now to re-sign him would still be in play this winter if they went out and tried to sign him after he finished the season with another team.

Signing a pitcher like Darvish to a long term contract shortens the rebuilding process. And if that helps then sign Otani then that further reduces the rebuilding time period.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the Dodgers prospects that we could go after is Verdugo.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is from Scott Lucas' report today. Our top prospects are not nearly as exciting to read about as they once were.

As far as what he says about Taveras' production that is the same that everyone used to say about Martin Perez. I always find myself concerned when the hype is much greater than the production. I didn't like it when they drafted Bubba Thompson a few weeks back and I am still not sold on him, but his early returns are very good. I would hope that when we get through with this month that that list looks a lot different.

Baseball America's updated top ten Rangers prospects, along with my commentary:

1. Leody Taveras, CF (1 preseason) -- As I've said, I wouldn't sweat his modest production. Yesterday, knowledgeable observer Mark Parker posted a nice story about his work ethic.
2. Ronald Guzman, 1B (7) -- Guzman isn't the next Paul Goldschmidt but could become a dependable regular. Two years ago he was hitting weakly in High Desert, his prospect status shaky despite being 20 years old. His rise is a testament to his persistence and the organization's patience.
3. Bubba Thompson, OF (nr) -- Texas's first pick in this year's draft vaults to near the top of the rankings. Speed and defense won't be an issue. His bat will set his ceiling.
4. Yohander Mendez, LHP (2) -- A strange year. While dominant as ever on occasion, Mendez's strikeout rate has decreased and he's become shockingly homer-prone. He seems no closer to joining Texas's rotation than at this time in 2016. While there's no reason for impatience -- Mendez is still just 22 -- 2018 will be his last option year.
5. Cole Ragans, LHP (4) -- I wrote about him at length Monday in the Spokane summary.
6. Ariel Jurado, RHP (3) -- For what it's worth, during a mid-May start, I chatted with two scouts I chatted with who were quite high on him. year. But, like Mendez, 2017 has been a year of stasis for Jurado. He's still just 21.
7. Miguel Aparicio, OF (14) -- Can I call a .242 hitter contact oriented? I can. Even in Hickory (.176/.255/.247, 25 games), the 18-year-old managed to get the bat on the ball, if not with many favorable results. The numbers should improve as he fills out. He's a center fielder.
8. Hans Crouse, RHP (nr) -- The question is whether the hard-throwing Crouse can develop as a starter. At the least, his stuff and demeanor seem ideally suited to a late-inning role, and I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest at getting some high-leverage MLB innings from a 2nd-round pick.
9. Josh Morgan, C/SS (6) -- Morgan has maintained his lofty prospect status by augmenting his infield duties with 23 games behind the plate. I don't know if he'll stick, but continuing to draw starts behind the dish is a promising sign in and of itself.
10. Joe Palumbo, LHP (9) -- Palumbo's regard is such that he remains in the top ten despite Tommy John surgery. Would a healthy Palumbo be Texas's best pitching prospect? I hope we get to find out.

Out of the preseason top ten:
5. Andy Ibanez, 2B -- Ibanez lacks positional flexibility (at least right now), so unless he hits well enough to start, it's hard to see where he fits on a Major League club.
8. Alex Speas, rhp -- I don't know that this is a case of him dropping as much as Baseball America liking some newcomers more. BA tends to downplay short-term results, which, admittedly, have been poor in his case.
10. Brett Martin, lhp -- Martin's had a tough year, missing plenty of bats but walking more than ever, and he's again lost a sizable chunk of the season to injury.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Romeo has pointed out, you don't see any big name pitchers get traded and then get re-signed by the team that traded them away. Then again, I can't remember too many times that a pitcher like that got traded and the team that traded him even attempted to go out and sign him. In fact, I cannot remember a single time that has happened, but it probaby has. So maybe it is so rare because the second half of that feat is not ever attempted. If the Rangers do attempt to re-sign him after they trade him then I don't see them being at any kind of disadvantage just because they traded him. In fact, all of the advantages they have now to re-sign him would still be in play this winter if they went out and tried to sign him after he finished the season with another team.

Signing a pitcher like Darvish to a long term contract shortens the rebuilding process. And if that helps then sign Otani then that further reduces the rebuilding time period.
I just don't see Darvish wanting to come back and definitely JD overpaying him to come back. Not after Choo/Fielder