• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mark Mangino

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess after seeing Heupel's play calling in the Sugar, Mangino knew coming back to OU wasn't happening so he is now the OC at Iowa State. :suds:

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rn_markmangino2_ms_300.jpg

It looks like hes lost some weight. Congrats to Coach Mangino. Always liked to watch his teams

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heupel got lucky in the Sugar bowl. His play calling is still weak. I think we could use an upgrade and this would have been one.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heupel got lucky in the Sugar bowl. His play calling is still weak. I think we could use an upgrade and this would have been one.

It seemed to improve starting with the Kansas State game. Is tend to agree with you, but with the way Oklahoma finished the season it seems he's earned himself another shot next season.

SoonerAlum

Oklahoman By Choice
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta agree with Romeo. The play calling for 2/3 of the season was hideous but he seemed to get some things figured out so I'll give him another season.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What concerns me about Heupel is that he is completely comfortable with one kind of QB, but seems incapable of running an offense with another kind of QB. It tells me that he can't adapt, and that's not a good thing.

Mangino would have been a great hire by Bob, but oh well.

td2play

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we still have the problem of what do we do when another team shuts down our run game and puts 8-9 in the box and plays up on the WR's The people who had great success against us did this. Force Knight / Bell to beat you with the passing game and that the WR's will get off press coverage before the pressure gets there. Bama played back off the WR's in the first half and Knight ate them alive. When they started the second half they were all over the WR's and jamming the line with people. Heupel doesn't seem to know what to call to get these guys to back off. Can't tell you how many times against Texas we just kept running the same plays that weren't getting us anything and we kept going back to them. Against Baylor it was the same thing. Both losses this season went squarely on the shoulders of the offense and being ineffective. I will agree that he was better down the stretch but how much of that was his play calling I just can't say. I will say that if they come out on fire next season it will go a long way to proving his abilities as an O coordinator. We can't afford a slow start on O again next year. I think we should have seen the Texas and Baylor losses coming and I think most of us did. The way we played against WVU,TCU, and Kansas was just embarrassing. You knew when we ran into a team we couldn't just "out talent" we were going to be in trouble. I want us to get back to dominating against our conference opponents and I'm not sure that will happen with Josh calling the plays.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heupel used to love throwing to his TE's alongside his WR's.

Expect to see more of that. Doesn't seem like we're pursuing as many WR's in recruiting now anyway...another downfield blocker will give the QB's scrambles a few more YPC.

The stretch of the perimeter game (which we've done well for a while now) with the threat of another vertical target = SUCCESS!

I hope...:hope: