• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariota or Winston

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're an NFL team, who are you taking first?

I'm going Mariota, the character issues for Winston are just too much for me to overlook, and otherwise, they aren't far apart anyway.

Feel free to echoes your opinion as if in a Sunday league rookie draft as well. .

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't even consider Winston. He has such a self-control problem that you have to be afraid of what he might do - and that's on top of the sizable baggage he brings from what he's already done (don't forget the book isn't necessarily closed on that). And he's talking about being the face of a franchise. If he's the face of your franchise, you have one ugly franchise. And it could get uglier in a hurry.

Mariota... meh. If you're hurting at QB, sure. I'd hate to take him in the first few picks, though. I think he'll be a solid NFL QB, but will probably pan out as a low-end starter, high-end backup... unless he goes to the Eagles. Lots of QBs could overperform with the Eagles.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to echoes your opinion as if in a Sunday league rookie draft as well.

Winston
Based on a rookie draft I'm taking Winston. He seems to be more NFL ready (so the experts say) and the Bucs have made it clear that they want him. They already let McCown go and they are shopping Glennon. Looks like Winston starts immediately in game 1. The Bucs have a nice supporting cast of offensive weapons too.

Mariota
If the Eagles make a deal (since that's the rumor), it could be tempting. But I saw that McCoy may not resign with Philly. Can't see the Eagles losing key players like that and expect a rookie who needs some NFL seasoning to make a mark the first year.
If the Eagles can't jump up in the draft it looks like the Jets may take him. Jets are a disaster. No playmakers and a new coaching staff.

Maybe my analysis has dynasty "Year One" stats in favor of Winston over Mariota. But Winston in Tampa may still have better long-term fantasy results than Mariota going to an offensive-needy Jets team.

The Foot

Hoopla Cash
$ 824.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not seeing Mariota as anything more than a Alex Smith type QB. I'd take a chance on Winston over Mariota just cause the guy does seem confident and Mariota does not. It's a tough call though and having to pick either guy with the number one pick would suck.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a fantasy perspective, I agree Winston is the one to take. 20% chance he turns into a valuable long-term FF QB, 20% chance he turns into a mediocre long-term FF QB, 60% chance he's out of the league by 2020.

For Mariota, I say 5% chance he turns into a valuable long-term FF QB, 30% chance he turns into a mediocre long-term FF QB, 50% chance he's not a consistent starter on his team, 15% chance he's out of the league by 2020.

In a nutshell, Winston has a better chance to be fantasy relevant, even though I don't think it will last.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't help but think that Winston reminds me of Josh Freeman (big, strong but questionable decision-maker). Mariota seems more in the RG3 mold (take away his legs and he's average at best) - but in the right scheme he may have some short-term success.
So, I actually do not see either being a long-term big star. I actually think someone taken in one of the later rds will out perform both (maybe Grayson or Hundley).

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a fantasy perspective, I agree Winston is the one to take. 20% chance he turns into a valuable long-term FF QB, 20% chance he turns into a mediocre long-term FF QB, 60% chance he's out of the league by 2020.

For Mariota, I say 5% chance he turns into a valuable long-term FF QB, 30% chance he turns into a mediocre long-term FF QB, 50% chance he's not a consistent starter on his team, 15% chance he's out of the league by 2020.

In a nutshell, Winston has a better chance to be fantasy relevant, even though I don't think it will last.
If Mariota lands in Philly, I think he becomes a fantasy relevant QB the first time he starts. I think there's a reason chip Kelly wants him so bad.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One will amount to no less than a serviceable QB while the other one will land in prison. I'll take Winston! Jk, I would take Mariota of course. JaCrabLeg will never amount to anything in the NFL, so Marcus is the obvious choice between the two.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances the Bucs win the South next year have to be what... 90%? (worst to first NFC South philosophy). So for fantasy purposes, it's Winston.

Reality wise, I just don't see Mariotta being relevant unless, as Joe stated, the Eagles make a jump to get him, while retaining Shady.

If I'm a GM, I'm looking for any and every reason to pass on the passers and draft elsewhere.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances the Bucs win the South next year have to be what... 90%? (worst to first NFC South philosophy). So for fantasy purposes, it's Winston.

Reality wise, I just don't see Mariotta being relevant unless, as Joe stated, the Eagles make a jump to get him, while retaining Shady.

If I'm a GM, I'm looking for any and every reason to pass on the passers and draft elsewhere.
Yep. . Me 2

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jameis is one of the highest rater passers coming out in the pass 10 years, off field issues aside, hes amazingly ranked..........its a risk worth taking

mariota......depends where he goes, if he goes to philly, look out

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jameis is one of the highest rater passers coming out in the pass 10 years, off field issues aside, hes amazingly ranked..........its a risk worth taking

mariota......depends where he goes, if he goes to philly, look out
So was Jamarcus Russel

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So was Jamarcus Russel

To be fair, if it were a sure thing it wouldn't be a risk at all. Whoever drafts Percy Harvin in FF is taking a risk, just with somebody who has proven they can play in the NFL. Half the QBs drafted high don't pan out anyway.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's great to hear you guys talking "down" Mariotta because some on the Bears board are hoping that he slips to Chicago at 7. I think the Bears would better be served taking a difference-making D man.