• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariota might stay in school

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is reporting that Marcus Mariota is thinking very hard about staying in school one more season. Personally, as good as I feel he is and can be, I am totally ok with this possible decision.

That said, IF he stays, Winston automatically goes to Tampa and Hundley becomes a mid first round selection. This also means we probably need to snag Bryce Petty in round 2 or wait and take a chance with Kevin Hogan, Shane Carden, Garrett Grayson or Sean Mannion in round 3 or 5.

Thoughts??

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way.

Did you see him take that hit by Mosa where he landed right on his shoulder?

Very similar to the hit Sam Bradford took when he injured that shoulder.

His LOS was in shambles all game. I doubt if he even drops, but I hope he does!

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His LOS was in shambles all game. I doubt if he even drops, but I hope he does!

Oh no, if he does indeed come out he is going to Tampa. That is a no brainer, stone cold lead pipe lock of the century of the week. My point was what IF he does stay in school? It changes our thought process on a QB a little IMO.

Assuming Mariota stays in school, a Rams draft could look something like this:

1st Scherff
2nd Petty
3rd Grassu
5th Cover DB or OLB
7th Cover DB or OLB

However, I think we know Snead well enough that he will trade down in either the first or second rounds (or both) and gobble up some extra picks. Personally, I do not look at Petty unless we are beyond pick #20 in round 2. Otherwise it is too early. I would rather get a more valuable O linemen there or even a top OLB/ILB and look at guys like Hogan,Grayson,Carden or Mannion later in the draft.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty much convinced Oregon paid their players after they got 3 guys to stay last year but if Mariota stayed again then thats very telling

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mariota stays, he knows he's risking injury with no guarantee of winning a national championship. He's already won the Heisman. If he decides to stay in school, it just might be about not wanting to live in Tampa, Florida or Tennessee.

As far as our draft strategy, I'm in agreement with ksu. I would now like to trade down in round one because we will get better value in return than trading down in round two. Also, as I'm a known Petty supporter, it positions us to better maneuver to grab Petty with a higher second round pick (picked up in the trade down in round one) to avoid taking the chance on losing him to another team.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty much convinced Oregon paid their players after they got 3 guys to stay last year but if Mariota stayed again then thats very telling

That big Nike money....

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mariota stays, he knows he's risking injury with no guarantee of winning a national championship. He's already won the Heisman. If he decides to stay in school, it just might be about not wanting to live in Tampa, Florida or Tennessee.

As far as our draft strategy, I'm in agreement with ksu. I would now like to trade down in round one because we will get better value in return than trading down in round two. Also, as I'm a known Petty supporter, it positions us to better maneuver to grab Petty with a higher second round pick (picked up in the trade down in round one) to avoid taking the chance on losing him to another team.

I don't blame him either D:

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stay in school don't be a fool...the college babes alone would make my mind up. :nod:

Jermaine133

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad he's staying but I'm really not sold on him being a NFL QB. Something about these guys who don't take snaps under center is kinda hard for me to want them on my team. Winston maybe but Mariota not so much. What about trading a 3rd maybe 4th rounder to Tampa for Mike Glennon?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd only trade down if both Shereff and Dismukes were both gone.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd only trade down if both Shereff and Dismukes were both gone.

Dismukes is listed as a 2nd rounder.

I've said all along that the Rams will be in prime position to trade down in the 1st. They can get an extra 2nd or 3rd ( depending on how far they drop ) and use the extra pick to get Petty. He will surely move up if Mariotta stays in school and may end up being a late 2nd rounder even if Mariotta doesn't.

I think Hundley will sneak into the first ( with a team trading back into the 1st round to get him ). That leaves Prescot, Petty and Carden as the next tier.

There will be a lot of maneuvering if Mariotta stays in school and it leaves several teams jockeying for the next tier after Winston.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got this sinking feeling Petty will some how sneak into the first...via a tebow/gabbert/Manuel

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with SJ, no way he stays in school and no need to discuss. Sorry KSU, I do understand your point

However MM is as much a lock to declare for the draft as the Ducks were to win it all this season!

Oh wait! :pound:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got this sinking feeling Petty will some how sneak into the first...via a tebow/gabbert/Manuel

I could see that if he has a good combine and pro day.

He already had a good bowl game.

Maybe the Rams trade down a couple of times in the 1st, grab 2 extra 2nd rounders. Take Petty end of first and address the OL with the 3 2nd rounders.

I think that is where the depth is for this draft class ( 2nd round OL ). It has great depth and quality in the 2nd. Then, they can address OLB in the 3rd and depth in the 5th and 7th.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that if he has a good combine and pro day.

He already had a good bowl game.

Maybe the Rams trade down a couple of times in the 1st, grab 2 extra 2nd rounders. Take Petty end of first and address the OL with the 3 2nd rounders.

I think that is where the depth is for this draft class ( 2nd round OL ). It has great depth and quality in the 2nd. Then, they can address OLB in the 3rd and depth in the 5th and 7th.
Great Post ALR!! :suds:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something like this ( but obviously Mariota won't be there- just took him for scoring ). But you get the idea of how the OL can be fixed instantly with the extra 2nd rounders.

Round 1 Pick 12 (CLE): Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon (A)
Round 1 Pick 28 (DAL): Marcus Peters, CB, Washington (B)
Round 2 Pick 9: Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame (A)
Round 2 Pick 22 (DET): Josue Matias, OG, Florida State (A-)
Round 2 Pick 28 (DAL): Hroniss Grasu, C, Oregon (A-)
Round 3 Pick 13 (CLE): Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville (B+)
Round 3 Pick 15 (S.F.): Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 20 (PHI): Geneo Grissom, OLB, Oklahoma (B)
Round 4 Pick 32 (S.F.): Cameron Artis-Payne, RB, Auburn (A)
Round 6 Pick 6 (WASH): Louis Trinca-Pasat, DT, Iowa (A)
Round 6 Pick 24 (DET): Corey Crawford, DE, Clemson (B+)
Round 7 Pick 5 (WASH): Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke (A)
Round 7 Pick 23 (DET): Trayion Durham, FB, Kent State (A)

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanley is returning to ND

I saw the article on ESPN or cbs

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about trading a 3rd maybe 4th rounder to Tampa for Mike Glennon?

First of all we are NOT trading anymore picks and we do not even HAVE a 4th rounder.

If I had to put money on it, I believe we will trade down from #10 in round 1 AND #8 in round 2. There will be a player we do not necessarily need (rush DE, DT) that MANY teams will pay for to move up to get. I can see us getting a 1st in 2016 and an extra couple picks to move down and still be able to get Collins or Ogbuehi. But, like someone said earlier, if Brandon Scherff is there at #10, he is the pick. I am just not sure he will be there. As for the 2nd round, Dismukes is listed as a mid to late 2nd rounder. If we trade down from 8 to say 16-18 and snag a 4th rounder with it we still get Dismukes.

As for Mariota, he has until noon tomorrow to declare. So I suppose we shall see.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is my hope Commish, that the scenario you have outlined is the one that actually occurs. I would love to get Scherff in the first at 10, Dismukes in the second, Petty in the third. Hopefully we can pick up a fourth round pick in the trade down in the second to pick up a LB. I'd love to snag Gordon but I think we will have run out of picks and he'll be gone by the 4th or 5th round for sure.