• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners vs Astros, first home series. April 10-12

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading a quote from Dipoto from spring that he fundamentally does not believe in investing big money into the bullpen. May be time to rethink this...

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin needs to sit for a while and figure his shit out, I don't care who goes out there. I can't watch that dude come to the plate anymore.

On the bright side, I like our chances today...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, last night was the only game where it looked like we just got beat by a better team. All the other losses have been tight games that could've gone either way, with the possible exception of the game 1 shut-out loss.

No clue why Altavilla wasn't throwing his fastball last night....Motter looks like a keeper, so hopefully that's a positive that sticks from these first 10.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember reading a quote from Dipoto from spring that he fundamentally does not believe in investing big money into the bullpen. May be time to rethink this...

It's a fair thing to criticize. They knew Cishek and Zych wouldn't be ready and chose not to add there still. As a result, guys who shouldn't be here are contributing to lossea

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main Concern is the whole "Control the Zone" thing. They aren't doing it and I'm not just talking about the offense. Gallardo gets a 5 run lead and promptly walks the first two guys the next inning and both score. 9-3 lead in the 9th the other day, 4 walks and they all score. If this truly something being emphasized here, I'm not seeing it right now.

Also Seagar looks awful at 3rd base. Forget the errors, he seems like he has lost his range. Two balls in 7th that scored runs looked like they could have been knocked down. He clearly wasn't great last year either so wonder what's going on there

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely, the team last year stumbled out of the gate as well until they go on a run. This team is capable of doing the same. The major issue right now is the bullpen but there is no way they'll continue to be this bad... to be so would be beyond historic.

Another issue is of course how much of a hole this team want to dig itself into before wanting out. It's a free fall early in the season but they're capable of turning it around. Just hope it's not too late.
M's are 2-8 and all against division rivals. That's not just a hole to open the year, that's a crater.

Can they reach .500 at some point? Well of course it's possible. I'm not optimistic that's going to happen soon. They will have one reliever coming back soon, but I don't think that's enough to shore up the worst pen in the game right now. You don't feel like handing off a 8 run lead is enough, more or less can they squeak out some low scoring tight games.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely, the team last year stumbled out of the gate as well until they go on a run. This team is capable of doing the same. The major issue right now is the bullpen but there is no way they'll continue to be this bad... to be so would be beyond historic.

Another issue is of course how much of a hole this team want to dig itself into before wanting out. It's a free fall early in the season but they're capable of turning it around. Just hope it's not too late.
Well, let's just hope someone in the FO knows how to deal with these blowpen morons.

Until then, I miscalculated somehow. The "on pace" would be for 32 wins, not 20, but if the pitching continues to be a problem, what's the difference?

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know how to respond to this. I mean, even if you DID go out of your way to spend big on someone in the 'pen, say he follows suit of these idiots we have now?

If this team has taught us anything, there is a big difference between making that kind of money and actually EARNING it. And so far, there are quite a few on that roster who are not worth the chump change.

Reminders of some pretty expensive duds in recent years come to mind...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm thinking the bullpen isn't very good

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main Concern is the whole "Control the Zone" thing. They aren't doing it and I'm not just talking about the offense. Gallardo gets a 5 run lead and promptly walks the first two guys the next inning and both score. 9-3 lead in the 9th the other day, 4 walks and they all score. If this truly something being emphasized here, I'm not seeing it right now.

Also Seagar looks awful at 3rd base. Forget the errors, he seems like he has lost his range. Two balls in 7th that scored runs looked like they could have been knocked down. He clearly wasn't great last year either so wonder what's going on there
ctz is every bit as much about pitching as it is hitting, so yeah, i'm concerned, too

last year, they ended up with a good overall k/bb ratio with combined hitting and pitching, but it's UGLY this year so far

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be time to inquire about Hosmer. KC is struggling and Hosmer is a free agent to be. If the price is right,...

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:clap:On the bright side... they cant lose today!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But one of the pitchers you're referring to has been axed, so you can't say there is no accountability. Not being able to "control the zone" at all times isn't evidence that they aren't doing their damnedest to make it happen. You gotta remember the other guys are trying to win too.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But one of the pitchers you're referring to has been axed, so you can't say there is no accountability. Not being able to "control the zone" at all times isn't evidence that they aren't doing their damnedest to make it happen. You gotta remember the other guys are trying to win too.

I'm not saying there is a lack of effort. I have no reason to assume that's an issue. Throwing strikes when you have a decent lead is common knowledge. That's where my make frustration is coming from. Not just the losing but how it's happening. Just an observation after 10 games