• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariner Letter to Santa Claus

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we want for Christmas this Year:

Sign Lorenzo Cain. 3 years/$40 million.
Acquire Gerrit Cole for Ariel Miranda and Ben Gamel.
Acquire Patrick Corbin for Erasmo Rameriz and Gil Heredia.

Gordon
Segura
Cano
Cruz
Haniger
Seager
Cain
Healy
Zunino

Cole
Paxton
Leake
Corbin
Hernandez

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we want for Christmas this Year:

Sign Lorenzo Cain. 3 years/$40 million.
Acquire Gerrit Cole for Ariel Miranda and Ben Gamel.
Acquire Patrick Corbin for Erasmo Rameriz and Gil Heredia.

Gordon
Segura
Cano
Cruz
Haniger
Seager
Cain
Healy
Zunino

Cole
Paxton
Leake
Corbin
Hernandez

I love your imagination...lol.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners fans to Santa is for Paul Allen or Bezos to buy the Mariners?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you have been a Blazers fan as long as being a Mariners fan (I have unfortunately), you may not wish for Allen. I know he has done well in football, but next year will be his big test for Hawks.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have been a Blazers fan as long as being a Mariners fan (I have unfortunately), you may not wish for Allen. I know he has done well in football, but next year will be his big test for Hawks.

Huge difference in basketball than the other sports though. The NBA is full of millenials goobers who run it who have cliques instead of actually wanting compete. Portland will always be at a disadvantage in basketball because it's not a basketball city where NBA groups will clock. Baseball and football are more agent oriented. Paul Allen in an uncapped sport where if a GM was messing up like Jerry he's gone without an issue, where he wouldn't mind swallowing contracts like Verlander, or dealing Cano and Felix while eating contracts. Or have Bezos to own it, a guy who realizes in order to make 2 billion dollars you have to lose 50 million quite a few times

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge difference in basketball than the other sports though. The NBA is full of millenials goobers who run it who have cliques instead of actually wanting compete. Portland will always be at a disadvantage in basketball because it's not a basketball city where NBA groups will clock. Baseball and football are more agent oriented. Paul Allen in an uncapped sport where if a GM was messing up like Jerry he's gone without an issue, where he wouldn't mind swallowing contracts like Verlander, or dealing Cano and Felix while eating contracts. Or have Bezos to own it, a guy who realizes in order to make 2 billion dollars you have to lose 50 million quite a few times

Agree to disagree with you on this. To me NBA is more like MLB than NFL like either. NFL is about management because it is the only league with a hard cap of the 3. This means free agents are easier to sign because they will go to whoever has the money available whereas the other two leagues can manipulate the soft cap and big free agents will always take the big city for the same money leaving teams like M's (Cano) and Blazers (half their roster) to overpay for their or other teams free agents...and Allen will not go into the tax paying salary. My 2 cents.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree with you on this. To me NBA is more like MLB than NFL like either. NFL is about management because it is the only league with a hard cap of the 3. This means free agents are easier to sign because they will go to whoever has the money available whereas the other two leagues can manipulate the soft cap and big free agents will always take the big city for the same money leaving teams like M's (Cano) and Blazers (half their roster) to overpay for their or other teams free agents...and Allen will not go into the tax paying salary. My 2 cents.

I guess we can agree to disagree on the NBA. I think NBA is a sham of a professional league compared to the others where most teams at least have hope. The NBA IMO is like minor league baseball except players don't go to the majors, you just pray to god you draft LeBron instead of Dustin Ackley and the rest are just dudes.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you haven't seen my post on the Seahawks board, let me summarize it for you:
Paul Allen, as you know, owns the Seahawks. This Paul Allen-owned team released Steven Hauschka because the team did not want to match the $1.6 million offer he got from Buffalo. So they signed Steve Walsh instead, saving $800,000. Not really a big difference in salary when you consider that Paul Allen is one of the 50 richest men on the entire planet. But that unwillingness to pay Hauschka the extra $800,000 cost the Seahawks three games and a playoff berth this year.

So the moral to the story is that spending money is only part of the equation. Spending it wisely is the other part. We haven't had anyone spend the Mariners' money wisely since Pat Gillick.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we can agree to disagree on the NBA. I think NBA is a sham of a professional league compared to the others where most teams at least have hope. The NBA IMO is like minor league baseball except players don't go to the majors, you just pray to god you draft LeBron instead of Dustin Ackley and the rest are just dudes.

Not arguing that point for sure. But I do believe they are structure alike, but obviously the draft sets up the league differently since NBA is instant impact compared to quantity drafts of MLB.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you haven't seen my post on the Seahawks board, let me summarize it for you:
Paul Allen, as you know, owns the Seahawks. This Paul Allen-owned team released Steven Hauschka because the team did not want to match the $1.6 million offer he got from Buffalo. So they signed Steve Walsh instead, saving $800,000. Not really a big difference in salary when you consider that Paul Allen is one of the 50 richest men on the entire planet. But that unwillingness to pay Hauschka the extra $800,000 cost the Seahawks three games and a playoff berth this year.

So the moral to the story is that spending money is only part of the equation. Spending it wisely is the other part. We haven't had anyone spend the Mariners' money wisely since Pat Gillick.

I'm not trying to say Paul Allen or some billionaire is great for all decisions per say, but the Seahawks thing is a little different, they have to cut to spend and Paul Allen has never had an issue buying top talent to run the organization and from time to time they make stupid decisions. The Mariners need to eat a boat load of salary to even begin a rebuild and need to be able to spend the money on getting quality management, scouts, developmental guys etc. Spending wisely is always the number 1 option but the Mariners already have idiotic contracts they refuse to eat or a guy like Verlander who was exactly what they needed but couldn't budget it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not arguing that point for sure. But I do believe they are structure alike, but obviously the draft sets up the league differently since NBA is instant impact compared to quantity drafts of MLB.

True, and why the MLB draft with ever get as big as the NBA or NFL draft is no matter how much Manfred tries. Drafting 19 years old in basketball is easier than baseball and who gets excited about star HS kids who don't play competition remotely close to major league level.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paul Allen saved football for us, literally ... When he bought the Seahawks they were in pathetic shape, he's done nothing but build this team up since he got here... With the Blazers I think it's just come down to the wrong guy's doing the drafting, I still can't believe you guy's took Oden over Durant... That could a literally changed the entire franchise, with Durant I think that Portland team would a had several finals trips possibly.. But as an owner for the Seahawks Paul Allen has been awesome, he always targets good coaches, he always a hands off approach, and he's had dam good success here...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Allen saved football for us, literally ... When he bought the Seahawks they were in pathetic shape, he's done nothing but build this team up since he got here... With the Blazers I think it's just come down to the wrong guy's doing the drafting, I still can't believe you guy's took Oden over Durant... That could a literally changed the entire franchise, with Durant I think that Portland team would a had several finals trips possibly.. But as an owner for the Seahawks Paul Allen has been awesome, he always targets good coaches, he always a hands off approach, and he's had dam good success here...

I understand why they took Oden - classic need vs. BPA, especially when people at the time thought that the players were a lot closer in talent than they ended up being (at least once Oden became a brittle man). Though, Roy, Aldridge and Durant would've been awesome to watch - kind've like what Sonics fans thought Allen, Lewis and Durant would look like (for like 5 minutes).

Once the Sonics traded Allen and Lewis, I was sure they were leaving. No amount of denying by Bennett could explain why those trades were made. Especially Rashard Lewis for a 2nd round pick 2 years down the road. They just literally gave him away.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand why they took Oden - classic need vs. BPA, especially when people at the time thought that the players were a lot closer in talent than they ended up being (at least once Oden became a brittle man). Though, Roy, Aldridge and Durant would've been awesome to watch - kind've like what Sonics fans thought Allen, Lewis and Durant would look like (for like 5 minutes).

Once the Sonics traded Allen and Lewis, I was sure they were leaving. No amount of denying by Bennett could explain why those trades were made. Especially Rashard Lewis for a 2nd round pick 2 years down the road. They just literally gave him away.

NO I get that, but still, remember when Portland took Bowie over Jordan ? Just from that experience as a franchise don't take the center again over the dynamic hungry player... You could tell Oden just didn't have that hunger, while Durant was about as hungry as it get's... To make that Bowie draft even more painful was the fact that Bowie lied to Portland, Here is a quote he had years later.....

"I can still remember them taking a little mallet, and when they would hit me on my left tibia, and 'I don't feel anything,' I would tell 'em. But deep down inside, it was hurting. If what I did was lying and what I did was wrong, at the end of the day, when you have loved ones that have some needs, I did what any of us would have done."

OUCH! that sucks ... Portland could a been the Bulls in the 90's, I mean it was THAT close....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's fair to blame Portland for Bowie or Oden. I'd bet every single team would've done the exact same. If anyone knew Jordan was going to be the GOAT he would've been in Houston not Chicago.