• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Making the case to bring back Ichiro (Yeah, I know)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got the idea from Seahawks_3, and at this point I don't think it is a terrible idea.

If the Yankees ate a portion of his salary, it likely wouldn't cost us much to land him and with the pathetic performance of our outfielders so far this year he would actually be a serious upgrade.

If not for the sad state of our outfield, I wouldn't even remotely consider advocating such a move, but Ichiro has been hitting well and is sort of the odd man out in the Yankee outfield that already has Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury, Alfonso Soriano and Carlos Beltran.

In addition to coming back to Seattle he would receive more ABs as well as the possibility of getting his 3000th career hit with the Mariners next year. Also this would allow him to retire as a Mariner, it would be gold for the Mariners marketing team.

This would actually be the type of move that the Mariners FO would love. Ichiro is a fan favorite, favorable with the Japanese ownership and the Mariners have the possibility of marketing his 3000th hit. On the baseball side, Ichiro could be a bandaid for a team that is seriously lacking in the outfield without any light at the end of the tunnel.

As someone who was happy to see Ichiro go, if he can even manage a .270 BA he is a serious upgrade to a lineup that has Abraham Almonte leading off and on pace to set the MLB record for strikeouts in a season.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Ichiro started batting right handed using only one hand he would still be an upgrade over Almonte

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind seeing Ichiro back. It would honestly depend on the circumstances.

For example...what would we have to give up to get him? Would we have to pay his entire salary or will the Yankees eat up all/most of it? Who gets ousted in the outfield if Ichiro comes in?

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if Ichiro started batting right handed using only one hand he would still be an upgrade over Almonte

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't mind seeing Ichiro back. It would honestly depend on the circumstances.

For example...what would we have to give up to get him? Would we have to pay his entire salary or will the Yankees eat up all/most of it? Who gets ousted in the outfield if Ichiro comes in?

Here is what I wouldn't mind seeing, but probably never happen. First off, Almonte gets sent back down. He isn't ready just yet, but also not giving up on him. Michael Saunders becomes the everyday center fielder in a make or break remainder of the season. He has been given enough opportunity over the years, his ropes end is here. The worse thing that happens is that we upgrade the defense in center, Saunders hits in the back of the order, and his future is written for next year and beyond. Ichiro would become part of the RF rotation, but in theory would be our main right fielder and lead off hitter. When Morrision gets back...............:L. Gillespie can get sent down, or maybe start Morrison in Tacoma on a rehab assignment with no timeline guarantee back to Seattle. At this point the #2 hole becomes the only major issue. Here is my projected lineup:

-Ichiro RF
-Miller / Bloom SS
-Cano 2B
-Hart DH
-Smoak 1B
-Seager 3B
-Ackley LF
-Zunino C
-Saunders CF

This lineup would produce far better than it has thus far, and we can always swap the SS combo with Saunders depending on who's producing the most. Now, what do we give up for Ichiro? I don't really think the Yankees would expect much. Clearing even half of his salary would be addition by subtraction considering their log jam in the outfield.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The saddest part of all this is that a majority of us wanted Ichiro gone with the outlook of brighter days in RF. Since then it's gotten worse, and now his presence would be a welcome sight. Only the M's.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
234, 8, what's up gents? Ichiro would be an upgrade in right field, no question about it. But, do you really want his surly disposition in the clubhouse again? I don't. Too many kids on the team right now. They need veteran leadership that is both vocal and positive in natural. Ichiro is neither of those things. The only times Ichiro was ever a positive presence in the clubhouse was the first three years when they were still winning, and in 2009 when they brought Griffey back.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
234, 8, what's up gents? Ichiro would be an upgrade in right field, no question about it. But, do you really want his surly disposition in the clubhouse again? I don't. Too many kids on the team right now. They need veteran leadership that is both vocal and positive in natural. Ichiro is neither of those things. The only times Ichiro was ever a positive presence in the clubhouse was the first three years when they were still winning, and in 2009 when they brought Griffey back.

You bring up a good point, especially considering the fact that Cano is basically 1b to Felix's 1a as the face of the franchise. Ichiro's time has passed in Seattle, but his production would be a welcome sight in/on the field. No need for the guys to have grump ass in the clubhouse when it seems as if they are finally able to smile and play loose. Nothing more obvious than Smoaks first home run, and how he went straight to Cano with a grin ear to ear.

Something has to give though, our outfield is a dumpster fire!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks.....

If they keep winning I believe you can make cheaper trades down the line,
Ich time has come and gone, I think you leave this clubhouse up Cano, Hart, and Bloomquist.
It might not show up in the wins and loses just yet, but there is a different approach by this team
now and they don't sit and pout when they can't hit.....

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every part of me wants to say "Hell No" and question why this is even being brought up. However then I look at the outfield we are currently rolling out there as well as the top 2 spots in our order and I realize I cant dismiss this because it would be a massive upgrade.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I enjoyed Ichiro's time here, I can't help but think back to the years of people begging the Mariners to trade him because he was "just an empty singles hitter" and before that, years of people saying that that would be the year that Ichiro wouldn't hit over .300 or wouldn't collect more than 200 hits. There will come a time, should he be brought back, when people will start complaining about him again and wondering why the Mariners bothered to bring him back. I don't exactly want to go through that crap again. Besides, he's 40 years old, hasn't been playing everyday since joining the Yankees and if the M's are going to make trades to fix the outfield, they should be focused on long-term solutions and not short-term band-aids.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now to the OP, please stop trying to make this franchise look more foolish by bring back a former player,
you sir have other dirty deeds then to piss and moan over our slow start, so you go find a nice girl and crawl into a backseat, so another cop can laugh at you lack in manhood... carry on...:suds:

CSD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro wants to win a championship, hence why he came to the Bronx.

#27 and counting :yahoo:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now to the OP, please stop trying to make this franchise look more foolish by bring back a former player,
you sir have other dirty deeds then to piss and moan over our slow start, so you go find a nice girl and crawl into a backseat, so another cop can laugh at you lack in manhood... carry on...:suds:

Ichiro came to mind because he is the odd man out in New York, would be an instant upgrade for our outfield and due to his age could be a cheap addition. Everything else (the Seattle connection and marketability) are just extra reasons why the FO may want to be interested.

There is not much on the FA market this upcoming offseason and by trading for Ichiro the Mariners can get a 2 year bandaid until we manage to fill the other two OF spots.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ichiro came to mind because he is the odd man out in New York, would be an instant upgrade for our outfield and due to his age could be a cheap addition. Everything else (the Seattle connection and marketability) are just extra reasons why the FO may want to be interested.

There is not much on the FA market this upcoming offseason and by trading for Ichiro the Mariners can get a 2 year bandaid until we manage to fill the other two OF spots.

I think it's still a bad idea man. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I think the guy is like a cancer, and he wont be good for the club house nor on the field. Like I said earlier, if the market is deep in OF and there in the hunt come the end of July then maybe you get that outfield upgrade....

ida one

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
I would like to see Ichiro come back. The last year he plays so that he could retire a Mariner. All his success has come from the Mariners in his first 4 or 5 years.The kid can still play ball, but i think it's time for these guys to mature and learn the game the hard way.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's still a bad idea man. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I think the guy is like a cancer, and he wont be good for the club house nor on the field. Like I said earlier, if the market is deep in OF and there in the hunt come the end of July then maybe you get that outfield upgrade....

Nah it's all good man, I appreciate opposing perspectives. I completely understand how you feel. Unfortunately the market is not deep in OF, which is exactly why I think Ichiro would be a decent band-aid.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Ichiro come back. The last year he plays so that he could retire a Mariner. All his success has come from the Mariners in his first 4 or 5 years.The kid can still play ball, but i think it's time for these guys to mature and learn the game the hard way.

The kid? The mans 40 years old!

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah it's all good man, I appreciate opposing perspectives. I completely understand how you feel. Unfortunately the market is not deep in OF, which is exactly why I think Ichiro would be a decent band-aid.

Here is the problem that can be easily solved with a good scout department, you make a trade for a young no name player and let him make a name for himself in Seattle.....Worked before sending an over priced, aged DH/1B to the Yanks and we got a bad ass right field for the next 12 years...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The saddest part of all this is that a majority of us wanted Ichiro gone with the outlook of brighter days in RF. Since then it's gotten worse, and now his presence would be a welcome sight. Only the M's.

Because Ichiro held the entire organization hostage, Ichiro did wonders on the field but off the field he was a trainwreck and hurt the organization.

But, Ichiro is at the end of his ropes so it wouldn't be so bad. Clearly there are strong clubhouse leaders much like 2001 when Ichiro was held in check but at this stage in his career I can't imagine Ichiro would actually be able to pull the crap he did nor would he have the ability.