• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lucy Li, 11 youngest to qualify fot U.S. Women's open

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If she wasn't allowed (by parents or coach) to play in the qualifiers, there obviously wouldn't be a story. The fact that she was & actually won, it doesn't make any sense to hold her back now. Your comment about "building a championship player" is a bit strange.

Strange...I hear ya.

Most of these parents with young kids gifted in sports want to see them win at the highest level...Earl Woods noted that TW as a young jr. golfer only played tournaments within his scope of winning because he felt the way to build a tournament winner is to win. Playing in events over his head very early simply b/c he might be competitive doesn't build the confidence that it takes to win in golf or any other individual sport.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is she a 6'1 monster like Wei is? That was the main reason Wei was hyped.. That and she could drive almost 300 yards.. We know she was overrated though..

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is she a 6'1 monster like Wei is? That was the main reason Wei was hyped.. That and she could drive almost 300 yards.. We know she was overrated though..

Someone needs to outlaw her new putting stance. Either that or a horny spectator needs to stick it to her in mid stroke. :rollseyes:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not real tall...she might stand 5'5" maybe from what I can see. Playing on the mens tours got Wie the fame and the big Nike contract, but I think it jacked up swing going at it too hard to "belong".

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone needs to outlaw her new putting stance. Either that or a horny spectator needs to stick it to her in mid stroke. :rollseyes:

I LOVE that new stance, you kidding me!

I'm sure the networks like it too...no man (maybe Micheal Sams types) can turn the channel when she's putting.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - not sure about other countries, but in this country you certainly would be robbing a kid of their childhood and experiences that they never can recapture. Also - you are potentially putting a lot of stress on someone who is likely unable to handle it. You are also risking creating someone who will have a huge attitude in the future. I also imagine problems with other kids put in a similar situation who are perhaps not as good. Why the rush?

That was my point as well. She'd probably be pissed at the time but she'd thank you for it later.

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At +8 & on that course, I think she's holding her own for her age. If she finishes mid to low in the pack, that would not be something that should scare her nor drive her (to continue) to take things to fast. Good luck to her & fuck her parents. :whistle:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering all of that +8 came on 3 holes...yeah, I would say she's holding up very well...early cut prediction...I'm thinking +8 or +9 will make it.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,868.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how she handled herself in the post round interview. mature

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I am kind of against her playing at such a young age I have to admit that she is fun to watch. She conducts herself in a manner that defies her age & she is very well spoken. I also got a kick out of watching her follow Wie & the others in the gallery once she missed the cut.

I am sure that the LPGA is very happy to have someone like this among them - just hope that they don't push it too much & allow this girl to still enjoy her childhood.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were my kid, I agree with you on restricted them to playing with her own peer group or skill group, but I've softened my position on it after seeing her interviews...definitely more mature than most 11 y/o girls...most importantly, she's not taking it too serious and she appears to enjoy being 11 and just having fun out there...missing the cut didn't seem to faze her in the least.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't think twice about letting my daughter play in the LPGA if she was 11. I kind of don't believe anyone else who says otherwise. If she's that talented and has already gotten that far so quickly, she should be able to handle the tournament. She just won one (granted, in her "age group", but she handled some serious pressure)

Plus, hopefully her parents have impressed upon her that nobody expects her to win the LPGA and to just go out and have fun.

The little one has a really sweet swing, I think unknown of how much more she will grow as she matures is the part that they will have to deal with, if she sprouts up like Wie did it will change her game and her swing, how well she adapts will be interesting to see, she seems pretty well grounded for an 11 year old at the USO.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all know the 11 year old shot a 68 in the qualifying and destroyed the adult golfers trying to qualify, beating them by 7 shots.

Hell yeah, she belongs.

Let's see, I was happy to shoot in the 130s for eighteen holes when I was 11.