• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Luck looking for improvement for the football team.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of what we all have been saying and I think that is fair.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with Luck on one thing. I don't think we yet have the depth we need for the Big XII. Closer, but I think it's going to take one more recruiting class to be able to say we have what we need.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am tired of the depth excuse, are you telling me truthfully that you think a team that beats OSU, plays nose to nose with OU and Texas doesn't have the depth to compete with IAST and Kansas? Cignetti could recruit, he had a lot of future NFL players on his team, yet consistently lost Saturdays. I think Holgorsen would struggle to win in college football if the Steeler's defense suited up in Old Gold and Blue on Saturdays.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really Dad? You don't understand how playing with your 2nd and 3rd string starting could cause a loss. SMH.

So the 98 team just sucked? 16 players from that team would end up playing on Sundays... I guess Don Nehlen was just a horrible coach.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am tired of the depth excuse, are you telling me truthfully that you think a team that beats OSU, plays nose to nose with OU and Texas doesn't have the depth to compete with IAST and Kansas? Cignetti could recruit, he had a lot of future NFL players on his team, yet consistently lost Saturdays. I think Holgorsen would struggle to win in college football if the Steeler's defense suited up in Old Gold and Blue on Saturdays.

If this year looks like last year then I am on board with you DAD, but last year was clearly about a lack of depth.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree with Luck on one thing. I don't think we yet have the depth we need for the Big XII. Closer, but I think it's going to take one more recruiting class to be able to say we have what we need.

I'll agree with Luck on this one. We have 7 returning starters on both offense and defense, several other players who have started or played significant time. Some of the Juniors played significantly when they were Frosh and Juco additions have supplemented several positions. When it comes to the DL, we do lack some depth, but our latest transfer will really help shore up that position.

Depth really comes out later in the season when first stringers get injured. Lose 2 on the OL or 2 on the DL, we will be in trouble. Positions such as RB, WR, LB, DB, we have good depth and an injury or two will not be a big loss. Most seasons really come down to injury and sometimes it is one or two players that really make the difference. If the team stays relatively healthy, depth is not that big of an issue.

The injuries also have a big bearing on how the team does and should have an effect on how the coaching job is percieved. If we lose 5 starters against Alabama and end up playing a frosh QB and several others down on the depth chart, I could understand another 4-8 season. IF we stay healthy, this team should win at least 6 games and go bowling.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really Dad? You don't understand how playing with your 2nd and 3rd string starting could cause a loss. SMH.

So the 98 team just sucked? 16 players from that team would end up playing on Sundays... I guess Don Nehlen was just a horrible coach.

MAC, that happens on every team, every year, guys get hurt and it is a coaches job to bring the younger guys along through the season to fill those spots, Holgorsen seems to not be able to get them ready. WVU will never have the depth of Alabama or Ohio State, other coaches have been able to coach those guys up, why cant this coach.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAC, that happens on every team, every year, guys get hurt and it is a coaches job to bring the younger guys along through the season to fill those spots, Holgorsen seems to not be able to get them ready. WVU will never have the depth of Alabama or Ohio State, other coaches have been able to coach those guys up, why cant this coach.

Are you claiming tOSU was coached up on defense last year? Or the year before…when they were forced to play inexperienced kids?

What happened to Bama's inexperienced secondary in the Sugar Bowl last year?

Too funny….

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A poster from BGN going by the SN SmackTalkinEer presented this earlier today…

Hyman - juco
Golson - juco
White - juco
Alford - juco
Glowinski - juco
D Smith - juco

C Christian - xfer
Trickett - xfer
Riddick - xfer

Banks - 5 years
Spain - 5 years
Snow - 5 years
Barber - 4 years
Bell - 5 years
Tonkery - 5 years
Millard - 4 years

Plus Walk-ons
Logan Moore
Mike Calicchio
Mike Molinari

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you claiming tOSU was coached up on defense last year? Or the year before…when they were forced to play inexperienced kids?

What happened to Bama's inexperienced secondary in the Sugar Bowl last year?

Too funny….

Was Pat White ready to step in? Was Steve Slaton? A good coach has his second team as ready as they can be to step in. Three QBs last year and NONE were ready to play.............

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I know about depth of WVU's football team… and seeing the above post… I can see why DAD would feel as strongly about WVU's depth as he does.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Pat White ready to step in? Was Steve Slaton? A good coach has his second team as ready as they can be to step in. Three QBs last year and NONE were ready to play.............

Why would you say that?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good coach usually recruits full classes....just sayin

WVU "first home of the big 3"....

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hyman - juco
Golson - juco
White - juco
Alford - juco
Glowinski - juco
D Smith - juco

C Christian - xfer
Trickett - xfer
Riddick - xfer

Banks - 5 years
Spain - 5 years
Snow - 5 years
Barber - 4 years
Bell - 5 years
Tonkery - 5 years
Millard - 4 years

Plus Walk-ons
Logan Moore
Mike Calicchio
Mike Molinari

This team has lots of 4-5 year players, juniors with tons of starts, many sophs who saw playing time last year. We have better depth at many positions than I have seen in years. Riddick will be big for our weakest area DL. I also think that we will start to see the benefits of having Crook at his second year as ol coach. Unfortunately, our weakest position may be the QB slot. Millard and Trickett have the experience, but I do not feel comfortable with their arms.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The list I provided is of the senior class. Kind of sad reality.

Who would any of you single out as the leaders for this team?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The list I provided is of the senior class. Kind of sad reality.

Who would any of you single out as the leaders for this team?

Why has THIS coach, in his three years FOUND leaders? The Juniors are Holgorsen's, Where are the leaders? The Sophs? There is talent on this team as we see when WVU plays OU and Texas, coaching is what is lacking, Holgorsen is just like Snyder was at Marshall, five years from now we will still hear how we are just around the corner and we had to play so many young kids.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why has THIS coach, in his three years FOUND leaders? The Juniors are Holgorsen's, Where are the leaders? The Sophs? There is talent on this team as we see when WVU plays OU and Texas, coaching is what is lacking, Holgorsen is just like Snyder was at Marshall, five years from now we will still hear how we are just around the corner and we had to play so many young kids.

You raise some good questions. Are Dana's boys ready to step into leadership positions this year? They're probably comfortable enough to do so since they've been part of the program awhile now.

So… playing well against good teams is a sign of having enough talent to win, but a lack of coaching is responsible for the final records?

What happened in 1984 when WVU was good enough to beat teams like Pitt, PSU and a highly ranked Flutie lead BC squad, but ended up losing to teams like UofV, RU and Temple?

Was that a sign of poor coaching? Or a lack of coaching?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hyman - juco
Golson - juco
White - juco
Alford - juco
Glowinski - juco
D Smith - juco

C Christian - xfer
Trickett - xfer
Riddick - xfer

Banks - 5 years
Spain - 5 years
Snow - 5 years
Barber - 4 years
Bell - 5 years
Tonkery - 5 years
Millard - 4 years

Plus Walk-ons
Logan Moore
Mike Calicchio
Mike Molinari
Leaders?

Id say Spain is for the Oline but the entire offense? Prob not

Alford has a chance to put on a show this year but again, no idea what type of leader at all that he is within the team.