• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lorenzen, not Axelgrease

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookies are usually a mixed bag. The peripheral positives to being a converted OF, is fewer pitches on his arm, and a better clue as a hitter with the bat. I don't think it hurts defensive skills any either.

But...he gets paid to pitch, and get outs. Rookies in general, and pitchers in particular, are usually inconsistent. Sometimes pitchers have a better scouting report on hitters than the hitters do I the pitcher, early. Pitchers hopefully have a MLB catcher well versed in the scouting report on the MLB hitters they're going to face...unless the manager thinks that bringing the pitchers minors league catcher up is a good idea-personally, I don't. That just has the battery mates on the same page on what they're throwing, probably clueless about what the hitter likes to whack.

The scouting report on Lorenzen will be out soon, and hitters will be better prepared. IMO, Hitters adjust better if they know the kid won't throw anything but a 4 seam fastball behind in the count or with 3 balls, than pitchers do- unless they have unpredictable secondary pitches they can throw for strikes in those situations. Most can't.

Location, location, location. Keys to real estate and pitching...Hitting fails about 60-75% of the time even when hitters know what's coming, so IMO, providing you have the pretequisite MLB stuff (velocity and/or movement),tossing it in the preferred location is far more important for pitchers, than trying to go counter to the scouting report.

If Lorenzen can locate, he won't walk many and hits should be less damaging-if the mitt is in the right location to begin with. He's got MLB stuff, IMO, that isn't something every pitcher on this Reds staff can say. He just has to be able to locate and mix in some off speed, and have someone calling the pitches that has a clue. He won't always have all that, I suspect.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Parrots are also in a team slump, one that is pretty predictable given their lineup.
It will be interesting to see how Leake, who throws more to spots, will do against the swingaholics in Marte, Polanco and at times Pedro.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the Pirates are in a team slump....but as Reds' fans that's sort of the "pot calling the kettle black. But they haven't won a game in the season series yet....so yeah...they suck.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hope:

Hoping that trend continues tonight. I would hate to see the Birdos print playoff tickets in June.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, when Selig's minions have full control, we'll have no league separation, and we'll get some Twins, Rangers, Rays, and the dregs of AL series.

Hey, I think a LOT of teams are going to have offensive slumps-if they're off the Roids. The secret there is to pitch and play D, put the ball in play and move runners, lineup churn. Homer on mistakes. Watch the Cardinals. Do that.

Votto hits, but runs the bases like a blind man. Bruce isn't on base enough to know how to run them. Hamilton can't steal 1b....but they're better than this bullpen.