• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lo Wood Leaves ND

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is leaving ND to go play a 5th year at another Div 1 school. Wood is not happy to get past on the Depth chart by Cole Luke and Devin Butler.

He was on pace to be a good CB at ND and then he missed a year and never came back the same. Wish him luck. That opens up another spot for another recruit.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lo had a lot of talent when he got here, was never the same after his injury. I hope he does well, wherever he goes. I would love to see him get a shot in the nfl.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is leaving ND to go play a 5th year at another Div 1 school. Wood is not happy to get past on the Depth chart by Cole Luke and Devin Butler.

He was on pace to be a good CB at ND and then he missed a year and never came back the same. Wish him luck. That opens up another spot for another recruit.

Add Alex Welch to that list. IMO, a good guy who could never crack the two-deep because of injuries. Also, I think he was by far the best blocking TE we had on the roster (watch some of the ND practice videos on line, in the rodeo drill he was pancaking guys).

True, Wood's injury set him back, but remember he was replaced pre-season by Russell, who went on to be a freshman AA at the position. He was never going to start over him, and he couldn't beat out Cole Luke or Devin Butler, mainly due to injuries. I do wish Wood well, but he was never that great. Only standout play I can think of was he had a pick six against Maryland in 2011. He'll more commonly be remembered as the guy that was getting torched all game by Robert Woods against USC. Watching him on special teams this year, he blew a lot of contain assignments, again watch the USC game. Agholor's biggest runs occurred due to him not setting the field edge.

To me, their departures are win-win. They will both get a chance to play somewhere else and we have other 5th year options to explore and opens up recruiting slots.

I'd be more concerned if the unfounded transfer rumors out there come to pass.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im waiting for that 1 top player to leave. Happens every year.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im waiting for that 1 top player to leave. Happens every year.

No it doesn't. Before Vanderdoes and Keil (in the same season), who was a "top player" that left. Going to the NFL doesn't count because if they're good enough to do that, it happens in every top program and is a sign of health, not weakness.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't. Before Vanderdoes and Keil (in the same season), who was a "top player" that left. Going to the NFL doesn't count because if they're good enough to do that, it happens in every top program and is a sign of health, not weakness.

Lynch

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also don't forget 4 star Neal (2011 class), 4 star shaw evans(2010 Class).

I know it just seems like someone leaves every year that was a top recruit.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd hold off on putting him in that category. He's done little to distinguish himself at USF, and in a few games, made costly penalties. I think this season was revelatory of what a locker room cancer the guy was at ND.

Yes he had loads of talent, but I think he's wasting it, and by a lot of accounts, regressed a bit after his freshman season where he put up respectable, but not great numbers. Its unclear if, had he stayed, he would have matured and improved, but the current incarnation of him doesn't warrant "top player" status. KLM and Tuitt were/are both better players by far IMO.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also don't forget 4 star Neal (2011 class), 4 star shaw evans(2010 Class).

I know it just seems like someone leaves every year that was a top recruit.

Shaq Evans, seriously? Yes he is having a decent season at UCLA, but he couldn't crack the lineup at ND.

Davonte Neal could have been good, but he really only saw action as a PR. I'll give you that one, he could have been a featured slot receiver this year.

I guess you and I are defining "top player" differently. You seem to be focused on their recruiting rankings, I am focusing more on whether they were a top player on our team.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have had some highly recruited players leave after only one season but for the most part any player that actually plays stays at Notre Dame, that is one thing that worries me about Redfield, and potentially Bryant. I don't think Folston is going any where.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have had some highly recruited players leave after only one season but for the most part any player that actually plays stays at Notre Dame, that is one thing that worries me about Redfield, and potentially Bryant. I don't think Folston is going any where.

Bryant didn't play because he was hurt, not because he was passed over. Folston has gotten more PT as the season has rolled on, but I'd like to see more consistency rather than the Chinese Fire Drill shuffling of players in and out. Few things are more frustrating about this team than watching Folston or Cam break off a great run and then look over to the sideline to see if they are going to be yanked. I can't imagine that sits well with them either.

I can see Redfield getting upset about the situation. Between the injuries and the ineptitude, its hard to understand why he's not seeing the field more often, although he's played in every game this year too.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised by this and would rather have younger recruits than either Welch or Wood.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd hold off on putting him in that category. He's done little to distinguish himself at USF, and in a few games, made costly penalties. I think this season was revelatory of what a locker room cancer the guy was at ND.

Yes he had loads of talent, but I think he's wasting it, and by a lot of accounts, regressed a bit after his freshman season where he put up respectable, but not great numbers. Its unclear if, had he stayed, he would have matured and improved, but the current incarnation of him doesn't warrant "top player" status. KLM and Tuitt were/are both better players by far IMO.

Yes but when he was here he was our sack leader as a Freshman.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq Evans, seriously? Yes he is having a decent season at UCLA, but he couldn't crack the lineup at ND.

Davonte Neal could have been good, but he really only saw action as a PR. I'll give you that one, he could have been a featured slot receiver this year.

I guess you and I are defining "top player" differently. You seem to be focused on their recruiting rankings, I am focusing more on whether they were a top player on our team.

Again Im talking about big time recruits, not what they have done since. At the time we have no idea how these kids will do. Some are bust and some pan out. Im just pointing out that it seems like we lose a 4 star or 5 star recruit almost every year.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again Im talking about big time recruits, not what they have done since. At the time we have no idea how these kids will do. Some are bust and some pan out. Im just pointing out that it seems like we lose a 4 star or 5 star recruit almost every year.

Many times, a 4 or 5 star recruit thinks they should start right away. When they don't, it's easy to blame the program or the coach, so they leave. Usually that just costs a year of eligibility and they sit elsewhere.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryant didn't play because he was hurt, not because he was passed over. Folston has gotten more PT as the season has rolled on, but I'd like to see more consistency rather than the Chinese Fire Drill shuffling of players in and out. Few things are more frustrating about this team than watching Folston or Cam break off a great run and then look over to the sideline to see if they are going to be yanked. I can't imagine that sits well with them either.

I can see Redfield getting upset about the situation. Between the injuries and the ineptitude, its hard to understand why he's not seeing the field more often, although he's played in every game this year too.

He could be unhappy with the amount of time he was getting before the injury completely derailed his season.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could be unhappy with the amount of time he was getting before the injury completely derailed his season.

Perhaps but if you google Greg Bryant Transfer Rumors, you get quotes from his dad in October of this year saying its news to him and that his son has no intention of transferring. Granted, his mood could have changed since October, but by then he was already seeking a medical redshirt due to knee tendonitis. So, combine dad's quotes with the timing of the injury and its hard to believe that he was considering transferring due to a lack of playing time before he got hurt.

Now I don't know a lick about the Bryant family, whether his dad is in the know (or even in the picture).

If he does decide to transfer I don't think it was a lack of playing time before he got hurt, could be he doesn't like the direction of the offense, especially with Martin gone, or sharing time with Folston, GAIII and McDaniel.

Honestly, I think that would be a mistake, though. Bryant and Folston have a chance to be like Wood and Gray or Wood and Riddick (although neither seems to have the pass-catching skills of Riddick), if he'd give it time. If not next year, certaintly within two years, and he'd have an extra year of eligibility to boot.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many times, a 4 or 5 star recruit thinks they should start right away. When they don't, it's easy to blame the program or the coach, so they leave. Usually that just costs a year of eligibility and they sit elsewhere.

I agree 100%. Not blaming Kelly or the staff.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps but if you google Greg Bryant Transfer Rumors, you get quotes from his dad in October of this year saying its news to him and that his son has no intention of transferring. Granted, his mood could have changed since October, but by then he was already seeking a medical redshirt due to knee tendonitis. So, combine dad's quotes with the timing of the injury and its hard to believe that he was considering transferring due to a lack of playing time before he got hurt.

Now I don't know a lick about the Bryant family, whether his dad is in the know (or even in the picture).

If he does decide to transfer I don't think it was a lack of playing time before he got hurt, could be he doesn't like the direction of the offense, especially with Martin gone, or sharing time with Folston, GAIII and McDaniel.

Honestly, I think that would be a mistake, though. Bryant and Folston have a chance to be like Wood and Gray or Wood and Riddick (although neither seems to have the pass-catching skills of Riddick), if he'd give it time. If not next year, certaintly within two years, and he'd have an extra year of eligibility to boot.

I agree I don't think he's going anywhere but I would be more worried if the news was one of the players I mentioned were going to transfer over 5th year guys that haven't met expectations due to injury.