• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lloyd McClendon

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I heard this guy was our new manager I shrugged my shoulders and assumed he would be another in a line of guys I've heard of elsewhere who were not great then and got gonna be great now.

I gotta say though that I've come around on him. I think he's exactly the kind of manager we need and I think it's showing in the bottom line. He's definitely not a Yes Man. He's got that surly old school mentality about him where players need to show him something and know that he's the top of the totem pole. Not there to be their friend kind of thing, and I like that. He demands a lot from the guys he knows can be better.

Regarding Kyle Seager, who we can all admit is much better than anyone expected him to be. He wasn't happy with .250 and 20 HR 70 RBI. He told Kyle he knows he can be about .290 with the same or better numbers in HR and RBI and Seager has responded this year. Tonight he says he expects more from Morrison. He wants him putting balls in seats. All while the guy has what, a 12 game hitting streak or something like that? That's good. Push your players to be better.

He's also gotten a little flack about hitting the pen too early in the past. Well, just like trading, better too early than too late. He's managed Felix's pitch count very well to this point, allowing Felix to do exactly what he's doing right now, which is historical in baseball.

I think the guy should be near the top of the list in Manager of the Year talks.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that it seems from our perspective that he just doesn't like/trust Erasmo or Montero. I can't say I blame him much with Erasmo given his very shaky command just about all the time. I think he plays into the "too early, not too late" mentality where Lloyd wants to get as much as he can out of the midget before the wheels completely fall off but not after.

With Montero though, I think the overweight in camp thing has got to have its end. Maybe that's the offseason. See if he learns his lesson and comes to Spring Training next year in shape and start the slate fresh, who knows? I do think Montero needs to be given another chance to be a hitter on this team though. Who cares if your DH is 36 or 26? If he can find his form again, he would help a lot.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely think he will be up for the manager of the year if they make the playoffs.

My only gripe is his IMO ego. His playing favorites is the only thing that annoys me. You shouldn't play the better too early than too late with one set of players yet not with others. He is old school which is awesome and I love, but the difference with old school and modern day is you should never criticize players unjustly to the media while defend others. You can't go out of your way to call out guys Ramirez, Montero, Walker etc yet go out of your way to praise guys like Hart, Ackley, Almonte, Miller etc.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm impressed with Lloyd.
Straight shooter.
He liked Almonte, gave him his chance, then sent him down.
Same with Miller and Franklin and Smoak.
Jones came on strong, he rode the wave, then jumped ship when Jones went cold.
Ackley, I have ALWAYS liked him, and Lloyd stuck with him, and look at the results.
Did he give Ackley more slack than Almonte, SURE, because he knew what Dustin could do.
Ramirez and Montero, man up men, prove it. I love it. Lloyd says.

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter who manages the Mariners! Half of the team isn't MLB caliber so nobody could get them winning until the roster changes. Baseball 101 will tell you what you need to be a successful team but Mariners management can't read I guess. One more wasted year for Cano and now Cruz as well.