• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Life of a ND fan

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it could be worse. But things are still looking better than they did a few years ago. There are teams that win these types of games and teams that lose them. ND historically was great in the last second miracle games. Remember when the "luck of the Irish" was a good thing. Then during the Willingham/Weis years, the "luck of the Irish" meant last second disasters.

This game should not have been close, but we pulled it out when it looked like a sure fire loss. Look at Auburn over the last few years. Miracle versus Georgia, kick six versus Alabama, miracle win versus Jacksonvile State. They should have lost all three, but they didn't. It doesn't mean the Auburn program is a disaster. Let's see how we respond to Zaire going down.
Chance favors the prepared.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about the season until after they play Georgia Tech. We will learn a lot about Notre Dame after the game. The offensive injuries suck but it is the defense that concerns me most. If ND had a defense that could hold opponents to under 20 points a game, there would be a lot less pressure on Kizer to put up huge numbers. This defense has loads of talent. They need put it all together every game

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not worried about the season until after they play Georgia Tech. We will learn a lot about Notre Dame after the game. The offensive injuries suck but it is the defense that concerns me most. If ND had a defense that could hold opponents to under 20 points a game, there would be a lot less pressure on Kizer to put up huge numbers. This defense has loads of talent. They need put it all together every game
I agree,if the D can hold up and become the leaders of this team is will take a lot of pressure off this offense and Kizer. We can not get into shoot outs with other teams.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for certain, this is a talented and deep team, this year has already proven that out.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is for certain, this is a talented and deep team, this year has already proven that out.
Yes we have more depth then last year but we are starting to get thin at some spots. If the Oline and Dline can stay healthy im good.

So far in the season:
Excited about:
1)CJ
2)LBs
3)Oline

Disappointed in:
1)Secondary
2)WRs(besides Fuller)
3)special teams

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we have more depth then last year but we are starting to get thin at some spots. If the Oline and Dline can stay healthy im good.

So far in the season:
Excited about:
1)CJ
2)LBs
3)Oline

Disappointed in:
1)Secondary
2)WRs(besides Fuller)
3)special teams

I'd echo that excitement and disappointment. The frosh returner (Col Sanders?) seems to have that knack that returners need, but Yoon has been all over the place and we've had some ups and downs in the punting game too.

I really can't grasp what is going on with Carlisle, Robinson, Hunter and Brown. Brown makes a clutch catch then butterfingers the next. Carlisle seems like he's used on the jet-sweep and bubble-screens only, and not for much affect. Robinson seems relegated to the sideline routes that are low risk. I don't know what Hunter Jr's role is. It's hard for me to tell because of the camera views on TV, are they just not getting separation or is there something more? Their blocking seems at least decent, sometimes outstanding. It seems to be dink and dunk unless we bombs-away to Fuller, we need Jones to be like the Eifert of a couple of years ago that we can stick in the middle and up the seam. I think it'd totally help Fuller if we're not getting more production out of the rest. Where is the slant? Where is that crossing route from the Bunch?

Considering the style of Van Gorder's defense though with all the blitzing, you're acquiescing man-to-man coverage a lot. While I like Luke and Russell, if you fail to get home on the blitz or lose containment, your corners aren't going to be able to cover all day long. This is what made Johnny Feetsball so successful in my view and there's a lot of those 'scrambler' types of QB at the college level, especially with a spread scheme.

This was brought up today on Mike and Mike in a conversation about Manziel and the idea of whether or not his skill-set will translate to the NFL. Most agree it won't, but it was pointed out that that's what the Titans did last week, they tried to blitz him and lost contain and he makes a living on broken plays.

I guess Schlereth commented on Manziel's game in this fashion: no Coach or Offensive Coordinator ever sent the following play into the huddle: Broken play on 2, ready? Break! It can work at the college level but not as much at the NFL level. Even the good ones like Steve Young had to learn to read a defense and stand in the pocket. We're susceptible to that type of QB with BVG's blitz-happy scheme. I like a combination of both blitzing and cover schemes to keep the offense off-balance, though it really depends on what an offense likes to run as to what cover package you'd employ. I prefer to blitz on early downs and if you can put the defense in 2nd and long you're usually at the advantage. I don't particularly like blitzing on 3rd down, with caveats of course.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd echo that excitement and disappointment. The frosh returner (Col Sanders?) seems to have that knack that returners need, but Yoon has been all over the place and we've had some ups and downs in the punting game too.

I really can't grasp what is going on with Carlisle, Robinson, Hunter and Brown. Brown makes a clutch catch then butterfingers the next. Carlisle seems like he's used on the jet-sweep and bubble-screens only, and not for much affect. Robinson seems relegated to the sideline routes that are low risk. I don't know what Hunter Jr's role is. It's hard for me to tell because of the camera views on TV, are they just not getting separation or is there something more? Their blocking seems at least decent, sometimes outstanding. It seems to be dink and dunk unless we bombs-away to Fuller, we need Jones to be like the Eifert of a couple of years ago that we can stick in the middle and up the seam. I think it'd totally help Fuller if we're not getting more production out of the rest. Where is the slant? Where is that crossing route from the Bunch?

Considering the style of Van Gorder's defense though with all the blitzing, you're acquiescing man-to-man coverage a lot. While I like Luke and Russell, if you fail to get home on the blitz or lose containment, your corners aren't going to be able to cover all day long. This is what made Johnny Feetsball so successful in my view and there's a lot of those 'scrambler' types of QB at the college level, especially with a spread scheme.

This was brought up today on Mike and Mike in a conversation about Manziel and the idea of whether or not his skill-set will translate to the NFL. Most agree it won't, but it was pointed out that that's what the Titans did last week, they tried to blitz him and lost contain and he makes a living on broken plays.

I guess Schlereth commented on Manziel's game in this fashion: no Coach or Offensive Coordinator ever sent the following play into the huddle: Broken play on 2, ready? Break! It can work at the college level but not as much at the NFL level. Even the good ones like Steve Young had to learn to read a defense and stand in the pocket. We're susceptible to that type of QB with BVG's blitz-happy scheme. I like a combination of both blitzing and cover schemes to keep the offense off-balance, though it really depends on what an offense likes to run as to what cover package you'd employ. I prefer to blitz on early downs and if you can put the defense in 2nd and long you're usually at the advantage. I don't particularly like blitzing on 3rd down, with caveats of course.

I think part of the problem in utilizing the other receivers is that with Kizer in, we have simplified the game plan to concentrate on the low risk stuff like bubble screens and sending Fuller on deep routes. Hopefully this will be expanded during (and after) the UMass game. We are getting thin in some areas due to injuries, but hopefully we can see Redfield back on the field along with Avery Sebastian (who we haven't seen yet) which will help in the secondary.