• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Letter from Kent State Athletic director to UA fans

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama fans' response overwhelms Kent State

There probably aren't a whole lot of positive letters to the editor written from the opponent after a 41-point loss to open the season, but I would be remiss if I didn't share a few thoughts following Saturday's Kent State University-University of Alabama football game at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

When our four student-athletes traveled to Tuscaloosa in July, it wasn't a media ploy or a publicity stunt, it was simply to help a community that had been ravaged by the devastating tornado on April 27. Obviously, word got out over the past few weeks, and thanks in part to the Internet, spread like wildfire.

To say we were overwhelmed by the response from Crimson Tide fans this weekend would be an understatement. Our Alumni Office has been inundated with e-mails raving about the hospitality, generosity and extremely grateful attitude the Alabama nation displayed toward anyone wearing the blue and gold of Kent State.

To top it all off, the standing ovation our team received upon entering the stadium Saturday morning gave all of us Flashes fans in attendance goose bumps. It was something unheard of at a college football game, and speaks volumes about the citizens of Alabama and Crimson Tide fans everywhere.

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for opening your arms to our players in July and again to our team and fans this past weekend. It was an experience none of us will soon forget, and even more important in this time of extreme negativity, it was a perfect illustration of all that can be right with college athletics.

Another shining example is the fine work that Kent State alums Nick and Terry Saban are doing through their Nick's Kids Foundation. They are making a difference in the community each and every day, and we are extremely proud of their efforts.

All the best to the University of Alabama.

Joel Nielsen

Director of Athletics

Kent State University

Kent, Ohio

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course they were nice to them............they're Kent State

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course they were nice to them............they're Kent State

Let me know when Auburn, or most school for that matter cheers for an opposing team when they enter the field.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not surprised. When OU played at Alabama, the Bama fans were really nice and generous. It seemed like everywhere we went Alabama fans were excited to share thier own form Alabama tailgating and sportsmanship. I didn't have to pay for any food (it was amazing and I was always stuffed) and very few drinks(Care for a beer?). I had a blast, and wouldn't mind going back. Perhaps, in the SEC there are many rivals with Bama but being from a team outside the SEC, it was definitely a great trip and well worth it.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me know when Auburn, or most school for that matter cheers for an opposing team when they enter the field.

it happens

and I doubt you would cheer for Auburn if the game was in tuscaloosa this year

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not surprised. When OU played at Alabama, the Bama fans were really nice and generous. It seemed like everywhere we went Alabama fans were excited to share thier own form Alabama tailgating and sportsmanship. I didn't have to pay for any food (it was amazing and I was always stuffed) and very few drinks(Care for a beer?). I had a blast, and wouldn't mind going back. Perhaps, in the SEC there are many rivals with Bama but being from a team outside the SEC, it was definitely a great trip and well worth it.

It's like that at every SEC school. Hell, the LSU fans are the nicest ones that I've come across

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like that at every SEC school. Hell, the LSU fans are the nicest ones that I've come across

That's not true at all. You even mention LSU, and they are some of the most hostile fans in college football.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you actually travel to LSU, or did you meet some LSU fans at home? My traveling experience is a bit different. LSU and Florida fans were not quite that same way. They were pretty vile, violent, dirty, nasty, obnoxious, drunks... sorry perhaps some of thier fans are nice, but if the Sooners were to play them again of course I would go, but I wouldn't be excited about it.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LSU must not feel too threatened by the Awbarn Tiggers, every time I've been to Neyland or Death Valley its been great before the game & a little sketchy afterwards.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you actually travel to LSU, or did you meet some LSU fans at home? My traveling experience is a bit different. LSU and Florida fans were not quite that same way. They were pretty vile, violent, dirty, nasty, obnoxious, drunks... sorry perhaps some of thier fans are nice, but if the Sooners were to play them again of course I would go, but I wouldn't be excited about it.

I've been to Baton Rouge for five Auburn/LSU games. Florida fans were ok.........UGA were the worst.

Been to road games at all teams except Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Tennessee

CrimsonFan

Cashing Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gets pretty bad when the LSU fans are drunk after the game