• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Let's really talk about free agency!!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there really any doubt that this team will be getting younger, or that SM is determined to rebuild it via the draft? While reading other threads on the subject, it occurred to me that though there are a lot of good players on the market, if you factor in age, cost, history and the stated goal to rebuild via the draft, it really narrows things down for us. So with that in mind, here are my questions.

1. Will this team be a major or minor player in free agency?

2. What's going to be the maximum age of potential signees?

3. Which guys fitting your profile and are likely targets?

4. How likely is it that not wanting to make a bigger splash in free agency factors in Washington's thoughts on trading down?

It would be really interesting to read the justifications for your answers as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With cuts to Bowen, Coefield, Lavou, Hall, and Chester that would make us 30 million under the cap. That should net us a big time FA. I would want Ordrick, Bulaga, or Iupati. One of these guys should be had for being 30 million under the cap. One of those FA would help this team tremendously. IF we can two it would be huge but highly unlikely. I realize that Kerrigan and Williams need to be signed to long term deals.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With cuts to Bowen, Coefield, Lavou, Hall, and Chester that would make us 30 million under the cap. That should net us a big time FA. I would want Ordrick, Bulaga, or Iupati. One of these guys should be had for being 30 million under the cap. One of those FA would help this team tremendously. IF we can two it would be huge but highly unlikely. I realize that Kerrigan and Williams need to be signed to long term deals.

I second this. ^^^

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think we should be very careful about free agency because you end up overpaying for B talent

what should be considered 1st is how does signing these big money free agents affect resigning the few core guys we have in kerrigan , williams , morris and robinson

what message are you sending to the locker room ? play well here and we will low ball you so we can sign a "name guy "

how does the handling of orakpo affect core redskins ?

our 1sr priority in free agency should be sitting down with at least kerrigan and williams and working out new long term contracts BEFORE we worry about any other FA

2nd we shouldnt give a big contract to any free agent unless he is demonstratively better then what we have on the team . that can tear a locker room apart

for instance a new FA TE needs to be better then say niles paul or logan paulson or else you cause hard feelings in the locker room

the next thing that needs to be considered is what type of free agent are we targeting ? a stop gap ? a long term solution ? a bunch of short term deals until our draft picks kick in ?

i see all these plans to get player X and player Y and most people are approaching it here on this board as some kind of one year roll over and presto we are division champs again

50% of the free agents we sign wont meet expectations .

so if we are really "talking" about free agency then lets talk about what you expect we should get out of free agency ? are we building the team of the future through it ? are we signing short term contracts till draft picks kick in ? are we looking for stop gaps ? a combo of all 3 , none of the above ?

i know this , generally we have overpaid for B level talent and maybe hit on 50% . our record indicates we have been in last place 6 of the last 7 years so is this working ?

most people here are still talking about signing b level talent guys "pretending they are A talent " as we have in the past .

we will have to overpay for guys here . and with williams and kerrigan out there we should be very careful of how we do things

how many are on board for resigning Morris ? he has had 3 straight 1000 yd years , 2 PBS and has been a model redskins player . he has been underpaid as well

do you let him walk because you like a free agent at another position ? what message do you send the team if you let him walk ?

the skins were right in franchising Rak because you gave him a" prove it" deal . he didnt but a core redskins player that you developed , was a model citizen , 3 x PB player got a chance at bog money from us . he failed but now when he walks its because of play and injuries not the bottom line on a ledger

so my approach would be sign our own guys , look at the BU te from the broncos and the seatle BU safety
sign people to short term contracts and let our drafts start to kick in

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign vernon davis and wr d thomas from broncos draft nothing but linemen

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im curious if we will wait around and get the leftovers for cheap like bruce loved to do or if we will be more aggressive. which doesnt mean go crazy and get big named guys, just get the guys scot really likes.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im curious if we will wait around and get the leftovers for cheap like bruce loved to do or if we will be more aggressive. which doesnt mean go crazy and get big named guys, just get the guys scot really likes.

This was, in part, why I created this thread. Despite having significant and possibly more cap space I honestly don't see this team as being very active in free agency. So what does that mean? Well, there will be a few signings but only guys 26 years old or younger. That alone limits who the team looks at during the free agent signing period and this translates into very serious consideration towards trading down in the draft.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we land one big time FA.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flowers and Moore are going to be big money and they are average players. Ordrick and Bulaga would cost the same out of all of those. These two are better than those 7.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flowers and Moore are going to be big money and they are average players. Ordrick and Bulaga would cost the same out of all of those. These two are better than those 7.

1st i dont think they will cost a lot and if they do then simply pass on them

2nd bulaga has missed as many career games as rak yet you hate rak ? my only issue is you will have to overpay to get baluga here and he has never made a pro bowl . i just see the health /overpay red flag

3rd ordrick would be on my radar as well

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beluga is younger and has big upside. I don't think he will cost a fortune to acquire. Rak's best days are behind him and he is going to get big money in FA.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
beluga is younger and has big upside. I don't think he will cost a fortune to acquire. Rak's best days are behind him and he is going to get big money in FA.

oh yes he will to get him to leave a super bowl contending team to come to a perennial cellar dweller and circus like this

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a tool we can use whether teams use it or not . the point is we should get those 2 guys taken care of 1st

I guess I don't understand why it's not used more often. Not the case with Trent or Kerrigan, both must keeps, but say with Rak last year. You pay them not the average of the top 5 but of the top 10 or whatever. And if they walk the comp is not 2 1's but a 1 and a 3 I believe. Why not do that with a borderline guy like Rak?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I don't understand why it's not used more often. Not the case with Trent or Kerrigan, both must keeps, but say with Rak last year. You pay them not the average of the top 5 but of the top 10 or whatever. And if they walk the comp is not 2 1's but a 1 and a 3 I believe. Why not do that with a borderline guy like Rak?

my understanding is we didnt have that available last season . heck the writer could have it wrong too

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Transition tag gives the team a chance to match the offer...if they do...they keep him...if they dont match...the other team will get and the Skins would get NOTHING!!!!!

look it up....that is why it is not used very often