• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Lakers Vs Mavericks Dec 26, 2014

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Nick and Wes could have made more shots we got a good chance. I like how in these circumstances guys show they can make shots. This team really seems to mesh well when they play as such. BUT, we still need bonafide scorers like Nick and Kobe to lead the scoring, especially because our guys are inconsistent and dont show up night after night.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem isn't with the Lakers effort. The effort has been there every night. The problem is talent. For this team to win or even be competitive, they have to be at their best all, game every game and that just isn't possible. They don't have the talent to overcome "off games" and/or have to overcome Kobe and/or Swaggy being out or having an off night.

It's no coincidence that Swaggy comes out of his slump in the 4th quarter and they go on a run to make the game close.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,681.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem isn't with the Lakers effort. The effort has been there every night. The problem is talent. For this team to win or even be competitive, they have to be at their best all, game every game and that just isn't possible. They don't have the talent to overcome "off games" and/or have to overcome Kobe and/or Swaggy being out or having an off night.

It's no coincidence that Swaggy comes out of his slump in the 4th quarter and they go on a run to make the game close.

Exactly, it's very much a talent issue.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,681.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rarely eat breakfast, usually it's just coffee when I get to work, but I'm about to grub on some eggs, bacon, and toast!!!

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,681.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then it's getting to work on another Laker essay.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The effort is most inconsistent as it relates to a Laker championship team, thats always my standard lol

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But no, i see slumped shoulders when they start to get ranked on, and it happened very early and has quelled off but has not subsided. The Lakers give up when things dont go their way, albeit less lately, they still do it to often.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's B. Scott's standard as well Inimical. He is trying to teach thes youngsters to play hard for the four quarters, play great D and never give up. It is obvious he has a ways to go to get through to them but losing and lots of it has a way of accelerating the learning curve.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The effort is most inconsistent as it relates to a Laker championship team, thats always my standard lol

You can't judge this team by championship standards because they don't have championship talent. I get where you're coming from. I've gone back and forth with wildturkey over this because he thinks a team can consider themselves successful without winning a championship and I only consider championship seasons to be successful seasons.

For me, I'm pleased with the effort that I see and I'm pleased that we are seeing some growth in some of the young guys. If it keeps up, I will be pleased with the progress, but I won't consider it a successful season.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't judge this team by championship standards because they don't have championship talent. I get where you're coming from. I've gone back and forth with wildturkey over this because he thinks a team can consider themselves successful without winning a championship and I only consider championship seasons to be successful seasons.

For me, I'm pleased with the effort that I see and I'm pleased that we are seeing some growth in some of the young guys. If it keeps up, I will be pleased with the progress, but I won't consider it a successful season.

I disagree completely. Effort should always be judged on championship standards. But to clarify, i didnt mean to judge the team on talent, rather effort, although you cant give more then 100% in any regard, what i mean is indeed 100%. All title teams to me give 100% effort. Talent being another issue completely. This team gets down on itself, and at times very early. While the reasoning to why they are not competing is shared by the talent or lack thereof, its most certainly magnified by their lack of effort for stretches.

Im not pleased with the consistency or overall percentage of effort. When the Lakers do play at 100% effort they compete well. After all their starting five is not the worst in the league and while on a scale, can still compete night in and out. There are several factors that also bode well into why they are or are not competing. They have to me overall, improved the effort vastly since the inception of the season. The consistency is not there in that regard. While i suppose a separate issue, seems to be necessary when describing it.

Just to throw in added food for thought, Byron Scott has been outclassed at many times this season. Im sure we all have a point in the season where we saw this. While he is a first year coach and many growing pains with his team have been patched at this point, I want to say overall im pleased with his record. I feel he is over achieving with this group thus far. Conversely, he could have made some better decisions. Mostly in regards to line ups and minutes of certain players IMO.

This indeed is the frozen tundra for Lakers fans. A unexplored land. I expect this team to get better and have a decent record by Years end. So it has to be considered. Maybe eclipsing 30 to 35 wins. Anything over 30 wins would be a success to me. Especially considering 90% of our roster will be completely different going by expiring contracts/team options alone.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree completely. Effort should always be judged on championship standards. But to clarify, i didnt mean to judge the team on talent, rather effort, although you cant give more then 100% in any regard, what i mean is indeed 100%. All title teams to me give 100% effort. Talent being another issue completely. This team gets down on itself, and at times very early. While the reasoning to why they are not competing is shared by the talent or lack thereof, its most certainly magnified by their lack of effort for stretches.

Im not pleased with the consistency or overall percentage of effort. When the Lakers do play at 100% effort they compete well. After all their starting five is not the worst in the league and while on a scale, can still compete night in and out. There are several factors that also bode well into why they are or are not competing. They have to me overall, improved the effort vastly since the inception of the season. The consistency is not there in that regard. While i suppose a separate issue, seems to be necessary when describing it.

Just to throw in added food for thought, Byron Scott has been outclassed at many times this season. Im sure we all have a point in the season where we saw this. While he is a first year coach and many growing pains with his team have been patched at this point, I want to say overall im pleased with his record. I feel he is over achieving with this group thus far. Conversely, he could have made some better decisions. Mostly in regards to line ups and minutes of certain players IMO.

This indeed is the frozen tundra for Lakers fans. A unexplored land. I expect this team to get better and have a decent record by Years end. So it has to be considered. Maybe eclipsing 30 to 35 wins. Anything over 30 wins would be a success to me. Especially considering 90% of our roster will be completely different going by expiring contracts/team options alone.

I agree with pretty much everything you say, but I think you are mistaking lack of talent and confusion/learning new systems and teammates with lack of effort.

They have been slow on defensive rotations at times and that can look a lot like a lack of effort because it leads to wide open jumpers and/or layups. I think that the reason we have seen them stay in games vs. better teams and even knocked a couple off lately is because they are starting to get more familiar with each other and what Byron wants from them.

So far, I haven't seen Byron complain about their effort, just their execution. When he starts complaining about their effort, I'll start worrying about that.

Not sure about Byron being outclassed. I think there are just games where he's armed with a 9mm and he's facing someone with an M-16. :lol: