• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Lakers @ Suns 11/16/2015 6 PM PST

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ

I'm with you.

I wish someone could tell me what his potential is cause I just don't see it.

Everyone keeps saying he needs time to develop. Well, the good ones don't need time and that is what you should be drafting at #2. Not some project that may or may not develop.

I've seen my Rams make that same mistake twice now. #2 overall picks on two project LT's that had "potential". We got Jason Smith (bust) and Jason Smith 2.0 (Greg Robinson).

Russell can't shoot, he can't defend and he's averaging barely over 2 assists per game. It's pathetic.

The Lakers hadn't drafted that high since they took Worthy in '82. They needed a sure-fire guy, not some project and that's what they took.

I just don't get it.

Your entire post shows you never will get it either.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DJ

I'm with you.

I wish someone could tell me what his potential is cause I just don't see it.

Everyone keeps saying he needs time to develop. Well, the good ones don't need time and that is what you should be drafting at #2. Not some project that may or may not develop.

I've seen my Rams make that same mistake twice now. #2 overall picks on two project LT's that had "potential". We got Jason Smith (bust) and Jason Smith 2.0 (Greg Robinson).

Russell can't shoot, he can't defend and he's averaging barely over 2 assists per game. It's pathetic.

The Lakers hadn't drafted that high since they took Worthy in '82. They needed a sure-fire guy, not some project and that's what they took.

I just don't get it.

Mudiay is no finished project, he can't shoot, but he's a really good passer. And a solid defender and rebounder.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your entire post shows you never will get it either.

so, because I don't get why they took a project that may never develop over a sure-fire NBA ready player, I'm never going to "get it"?

So, we should never question our teams decisions and just go along like blind homers?

Yeah, that makes sense. Let's all just be "Yes" fans.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mudiay is no finished project, he can't shoot, but he's a really good passer. And a solid defender and rebounder.

He's also playing over 30 minutes per game and is about the only viable guard his team has. As Outlaw pointed out, he handles ball 100% of the time he's on the floor.

Russell plays around 20 minutes per game and shares the ball with Clarkson, Kobe, Williams and Swaggy P depending on who's on the floor with him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so, because I don't get why they took a project that may never develop over a sure-fire NBA ready player, I'm never going to "get it"?

So, we should never question our teams decisions and just go along like blind homers?

It's been explained multiple times over multiple threads. So yes, you will never get it. You've proven it beyond any doubt.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Lakers fans have to have a hard time watching this team.

Hopefully the team can get some growth out their young players this season.

And for the record, I don't understand why the Lakers drafted Russell when they already had Clarkson on the team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Lakers fans have to have a hard time watching this team.

Hopefully the team can get some growth out their young players this season.

And for the record, I don't understand why the Lakers drafted Russell when they already had Clarkson on the team.

Because Kobe is 37. Clarkson is a combo guard, Russell is a point guard. When Kobe retires, Clarkson will be the full-time 2 guard and Russell will be the PG.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon guys, you honestly think if Russell were playing 36 minutes per game that he wouldn't be putting up stats? Stats aren't everything, he has displayed great talent if you're not just looking at the box score. Clarkson was basically given the keys to the franchise last year on a Lakers' team plagued by injury. Russell has not been given the keys.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those saying Mudiay is sooo much better.

So far this season:

Mudiay - 30.3 minutes per game, 12.0 ppg, .312 FG%, 4.2 rpg, 6.2 apg, 7.54

Russell - 24.4 minutes per game, 9.2 ppg, .394 FG%, 4.0 rpg, 2.8 apg, PER 11.92

Russell is the better shooter, better rebounder and has the higher player efficiency rating. Literally, the only area where Mudiay rates higher is assists and even that isn't by that much considering that he plays more minutes and is relied on much more for assists. Mudiay plays on team where only 1 other player (Jameer Nelson) averages more than 2.0 assists per game.

Russell plays on a team where 6 players average over 2.0 assists per game and 3 of those average more than 3 assists per game.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So NBA ready that he has one of the worst defensive ratings for a starting big in the league? I suppose looking at the box score and complaining is much easier than actually using your eyes.

And I don't agree with everything the Lakers do, I try my best to look at things objectively but you just seem to have an axe to grind over everything the organization does.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have an axe to grind. I just don't understand some of the decisions as of late this franchise has made starting with signing Kobe to the huge extension.

I've loved watching Kobe just as much as the rest of you, but he wasn't worth all that money with the mileage he had.

And what if Russell doesn't pan out? Then it sets the franchise back 5 years.

I've seen my Rams do it multiple times over the past decade ( most recently with The Bradford experiment ). 5 years later and they still don't have a QB worth starting.

The Lakers can easily be in that same position in 5 years if the Russell project doesn't pan out ( and I seriously hope it does pan out as a lifelong fan of this franchise ).

And it's not like times past when you could get FA's to come to LA and quickly rebuild that way. So, they are left with the draft. And they haven't "hit" on a 1st round pick since Kobe/Fisher in '96.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So NBA ready that he has one of the worst defensive ratings for a starting big in the league? I suppose looking at the box score and complaining is much easier than actually using your eyes.

And I don't agree with everything the Lakers do, I try my best to look at things objectively but you just seem to have an axe to grind over everything the organization does.

He never was a good defender. Everyone knew that. But he was the most NBA ready offensive player in the draft. And it's not like Russell is some defensive master.

Dirk has never been a good defender. Has that stopped him from being successful in the NBA? No, because he knew how to score and make a difference on the other end of the floor.

You rarely get players that are good at both ends of the court ( ala James ). Even the Showtime Lakers were not good defensive teams. They always won games with offense- a lot of 126-118 games if you remember those days.

I just hope Russell develops on either side of the court ( whether offensively or defensively ). Cause either one will make a huge impact on the opposing PG's the Lakers face.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a disturbing trend that the Lakers now have to address. That trend is we are falling apart in and failing to finish fourth quarters. This isn't about the Lakers not being in shape. The physicality of Scott's camps has removed that concern. No, this a mental issue. I believe that even with all of the ranting of Kobe and his "watch me" strategy and other attempts by MWP, apparently nobody has taught this young team how to consistently win especially in the fourth quarter. We are just dying in that quarter and teams no it. I suspect many of these guys just simply mail it in because they figure they are going to lose anyways but I could be mistaken, What I do know is that if this continues, we will not see 30-35 wins this year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have an axe to grind. I just don't understand some of the decisions as of late this franchise has made starting with signing Kobe to the huge extension.

I've loved watching Kobe just as much as the rest of you, but he wasn't worth all that money with the mileage he had.

And what if Russell doesn't pan out? Then it sets the franchise back 5 years.

I've seen my Rams do it multiple times over the past decade ( most recently with The Bradford experiment ). 5 years later and they still don't have a QB worth starting.

The Lakers can easily be in that same position in 5 years if the Russell project doesn't pan out ( and I seriously hope it does pan out as a lifelong fan of this franchise ).

And it's not like times past when you could get FA's to come to LA and quickly rebuild that way. So, they are left with the draft. And they haven't "hit" on a 1st round pick since Kobe/Fisher in '96.

It's really not that difficult to figure out if you're actually paying attention and have bothered reading the multiple explanations.

The NBA has changed. Bigs are no longer the dominant force in the NBA that they used to be. It used to be, that as long as you had a very good Center or PF, all you needed was a serviceable point guard (ala Derek Fisher) and you could be a title contender. It's not like that anymore.

In todays NBA, you HAVE to have a good point guard to be a contender. Look at last years finals. The centers were TinaFey Mozgov and Andrew Bogut. Both of them are serviceable at best centers. However, both teams had top level point guards in Steph Curry and Kyrie (although Kyrie was hurt).

Look at the playoff teams from last year. Most of them had a very good to great point guard and an average at best big.

It takes time for a point guard to learn the game. I wonder where GSW would be if they had the same attitude towards Steph Curry and GSW averaging less than 30 wins over his first 3 seasons that you have towards Russell after 10 games.

No one is saying that Russell is going to be a great player. We're only saying that it takes time to develop a point guard and 10 games in is way too early to start saying he sucks.

Also, if he doesn't pan out, it doesn't mean it sets the franchise back 5 years. The Lakers should know by the end of next season whether or not he will pan out. If he's not going to pan out, then you stick his ass on the end of the bench, pick up a PG in FA or move Clarkson to PG.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a disturbing trend that the Lakers now have to address. That trend is we are falling apart in and failing to finish fourth quarters. This isn't about the Lakers not being in shape. The physicality of Scott's camps has removed that concern. No, this a mental issue. I believe that even with all of the ranting of Kobe and his "watch me" strategy and other attempts by MWP, apparently nobody has taught this young team how to consistently win especially in the fourth quarter. We are just dying in that quarter and teams no it. I suspect many of these guys just simply mail it in because they figure they are going to lose anyways but I could be mistaken, What I do know is that if this continues, we will not see 30-35 wins this year.

This is a team with a young core and a lot of new faces. It's what young teams do. They are learning how to win. It takes time. If you remember, during the first 4-5 games, we were talking about the Lakers slow starts and slow finishes. The games would start with the Lakers falling behind by double digits, then fighting back to get close or take the lead in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and then finishing slow in the 4th.

Over the past 4-5 games, we've seen the Lakers playing better at the start and remaining competitive into the 4th quarter. Closing out games is the hardest part to figure out.

Jeezus, I sure hope some of you don't live near any tall buildings or bridges. I'd miss you being here. :lol:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I get that they are figuring things out. I think Scott should give Russell the nod and leave him in the fourth quarter more often so that he can learn with the rest of them. Sweet Lou is good player but he should not be in the game at the end of it.

Last edited:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team is rebuilding, albeit in a somewhat backdoor way. There's time for Russell to develop. Two of the other hopeful building blocks are only in their second season. It's not like they drafted Russell to put a team of veterans over the top.

I think (and a lot of hope!) that Russell will be fine. One thing to remember is that he is a skinny weak kid right now. He said that he's never really ever lifted weights. He'll do that plenty now that he's a pro. "Grass-fed" Tim will build his body into an NBA one. He needs to strengthen both his lower and upper bodies. The jumper should subsequently improve with increased strength as well as his ability to handle contact at the rim.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, I agree lakersrule. Another kid to get up to NBA standards and I think he'll be fine as well.