• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

(Lack of) Emphasis on Tackling

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed like last year, up until the NC game, we were a pretty solid tackling team. I rarely saw guys missing tackles, arm tackling or diving at knees. The first guy to get there usually brought the player down, and the positive results were undeniable. Then, it seemed after the USC game, they stopped practicing it. I'd like to think that as much as Alabama was great, our usually sure-fire tacklers all of the sudden weren't (Teo had his head down and whiffed a lot, so did Motta. The only one that seemed to tackle well was Spond. Even Farley had some memorable TFL's in big moments last year (Stanford and USC goal line stands come to mind).

This year, its been embarassing to watch. Guys are whiffing all over the place. Did we stop doing contact in practices? Some time last year I recall Real Sports doing a feature on the correlation between brain injuries and the amount of contact practices teams conduct, and how at the pro level, they've significantly reduced the number of contact practices but the number remains high in college. I wonder if there is a national trend away from contact practices or whether schools like ND are de-emphasizing hitting in practice and, as a result, we're seeing the craptastic tackling this year. If they're worried about hits, get the tackling dummy out and get back to basics, please.

By the way, I truly think Bryant Gumbel hates football and relishes any story that makes the sport look bad.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is disgusting how bad they are. They have been tackling sense the age of 9. 2 things:
1-They are not talented.
2-Diaco sucks at coaching them up.

You pick?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just don't have the talent. Remember there have been a lot of injuries. We are playing with some 3rd and 4th on Depth chart.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just don't have the talent. Remember there have been a lot of injuries. We are playing with some 3rd and 4th on Depth chart.

I agree that Notre Dame are playing at the 3rd and 4th's on the depth chart at some positions but that is mostly on the D-Line, the worst culprits for missing tackles have been Jackson and Farley and they aren't 3rd or 4th on the depth chart but the should be.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if its 5th an 6th guys.....tackling is the essential skill of football, if you can't tackle then GTFO!

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if its 5th an 6th guys.....tackling is the essential skill of football, if you can't tackle then GTFO!

That is the thing though Eric the worst tacklers have been the guys that were starters last year, Matta and Te'o aren't here to bail you out all the time.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the thing though Eric the worst tacklers have been the guys that were starters last year, Matta and Te'o aren't here to bail you out all the time.

Gotta get back to the basics this week I think..

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Notre Dame are playing at the 3rd and 4th's on the depth chart at some positions but that is mostly on the D-Line, the worst culprits for missing tackles have been Jackson and Farley and they aren't 3rd or 4th on the depth chart but the should be.

I agree with you that Farley has been really bad and shouldn't play anymore.