• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Knaus's appeal denied!

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NASCAR penalties against Knaus upheld | www.thatsracin.com

NASCAR penalties against Knaus upheld

CONCORD, N.C. Jimmie Johnson and his No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports team got no relief from the National Stock Car Racing Appeals Board.

But they will try one more time.

A three-member panel of the Appeals Board on Tuesday unanimously upheld the penalties against the No. 48 team, which were assessed for unapproved modifications made to the C-Post area of the car.

The violation was discovered during opening-day inspection for the Daytona 500.

The original penalties were a $100,000 fine and six-race suspension for crew chief Chad Knaus, a six-race suspension for car chief Ron Malec and a reduction of 25 driver points from Jimmie Johnson and 25 owner points.

“The panel was generous with its time today, and we appreciated the opportunity to talk through our concerns,” said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports.

"We feel strongly about this issue and will continue to pursue it at the next level.”

The final appeal is with the National Stock Car Racing Chief Appellate Officer, John Middlebrook. A date for the final appeal has not yet been set.

Knaus and Malec can continue to work at the track until the final appeal is resolved.

The points penalties, however, have already been assessed and will be reinstated if the appeal is successful.

“All I can tell you is I believe in my guys, and I believe in the system, but we’ll just have to take it,” Hendrick said. “You know, you won’t know till it’s over, and I know how we feel, and so we’ll just have to go on.”

More racing news, blogs, photos and more at Homepage | www.thatsracin.com.

Read more here: NASCAR penalties against Knaus upheld | www.thatsracin.com