• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings @ Oilers 2023 WCQF G2

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start of a game kills them again. I simply do not understand how a team fighting for a Cup does not come out ready to play two games in a row.

I guess the positive is they weren't massacred 6-0 but that's unacceptable.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free McFlurry tomorrow thanks Gabe.
Kings couldn’t get the puck in th Oilers zone in the last three minutes
Druzi dumping the puck from behind the red line didn’t help.
If the Kings every show up to the first period they could win the series

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durzi needs to be traded. He was somewhat of an unknown in 2021-22, the time to move him was last summer. Now pretty much everyone knows who he is - Erik Karlsson Lite - and I don't see this dude netting more than a 3rd round pick or maybe a mid level prospect and a pick.

Oil did a solid job standing up at the blue line, at one point I saw 3 guys standing their ground. The issue is the Kings kept trying to carry it in, they need to recognize at that point dump and chase. But then the other issue is even if they got there, and they did, the bigger Oiler defense just muscled them off the puck and gained possession to start their breakout the other way. Size does indeed matter, especially in the playoffs.

The good news is the Kings got a split, good scenario to be in. But they absolutely must be ready to come out and kick some balls in G3, especially since they're at home.

Make Edmonton chase for a change. The Kings literally have had a lead in zero minutes in this series because of the atrocious first periods.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was one of the hardest first periods to watch that I can remember. Almost had zero shots until late and just took it from Edmonton almost every step of the way.

Yet they stood there 2-2 and Kupari hit the post on that half breakaway just before the 2nd intermission. They felt like they had no business being in that game, and for that reason, I think coming home 1-1 Kings should feel pretty fortunate. And then all that being said, that 3rd goal for Oilers seemed so soft on Korpisalo. He's played great through 2 games, which makes it harder to criticized, but it is what it is. Gotta stop that one.

I felt like Kempe brought the wrong sticks tonight, and more realistically he was gripping them a little too tight. Just fanning on shots or getting tripped up on defender's skates. Little things. It didn't feel like lack of effort, and maybe even the opposite.

Looking at the team during the national anthems you just ask where are the goals going to come from? Danault scored, which was his first in 17 games, so that helped a ton. Villardi with the beauty of the Moore backcheck. But this team needs a little more from Byfield, Kupart, Moore, Grundstrom, and maybe a goal or two from their defensemen. PP looked pretty bad tonight, and just seemed to lack sense of urgency.

Still mostly keeping McDavid in check, which is impressive. He did feed Draisaitl on the PP goal, but Draisaitl is killing the Kings. Just feels like it doesn't matter if Oilers are 1 on 3, they're going to attack. Kings need to find ways to burn their defense and aggression. That's why the Kupari breakaway could've been awesome.

Kings were playing awesome at home before, so if they could just take care of home ice, that'd be amazing to not have to go win again in Edmonton, but knowing this team....that's a tall task.