• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings @ McRef 2023 WCQF G5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better pace to this 2nd period for LA. Edmonton still full sending everything so the Kings need to just understand that this is probably going to be a high scoring game still.

3-2 after how this game started seems okay to me right now. Doughty having a great game so far. Great hit, defending well. Night and day better than Game 4 as far as I can see. Villardi also randomly winning almost all his draws, but he seems to be the only one.

Skinner looks extremely beatable if Kings can just manage some pressure. Also, Fiala way less noticeable tonight, which isn't great.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like both teams playing more conservative, structured hockey 10 minutes into this second period.

Byfield just not sharp tonight overall, Kupari as well. Kupari just hasn't been victimized yet.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great breakdown by Stoll on the Oilers defensemen. Yes, they are active and mobile, but they do not like to hit. He showed Iafallo going to hit Bouchard, and Bouchard just cringed and coughed it up.

So this game is going to come down which team carries play in the other zone. Kings need to just full send it at this point. Too much defending.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy...Copley in. Reverse of G4 for LA. Guess we get to see how he looks in the playoffs.

Korpisalo went straight to the dressing room, hope he isn't hurt.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I like how the Kings tend to rally around Copley, but tough spot to come into. But Kings need to open this game up and attack. This sitting back stuff is just playing not to lose. Their defense are walking the blue line without fear, and just never fear a counterattack.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off Hyman's face....but it doesn't matter. PP goal. They are now what? 8 for 13?

61.5%

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PK is horrendous.

Not looking good at all, the Kings look like they are unraveling all over the ice.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not suprised, they lost their fight g4

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personnel-wise I think we are sorta looking at the idealized version of this team (Maybe a fully healthy Fiala, but he's in there so it's not going to drastically change), which is why this is annoying to watch. It feels like schematically, LA is playing in a shell not to lose. Where is the team from Period 1 and 3 of Game 4? Korpisalo didn't look strong and he looks vulnerable up top, but I can't say there were any "bad" goals. He just didn't bail anyone out tonight.

I have to assume Danault-Arvidsson-Moore line is quiet because they are defending McDavid-Draisaitl all game, so really where the battles are to be won are with the Fiala-Villardi line. Kempe scored one, but for sure Byfield has been exploited this game for at least two goals, so that means Kopitar-Kempe-Byfield line is struggling. Which is sort of to my point on scheming. Oilers attacking with all 5 all the time, and LA is definitely not. If Edmonton loses a faceoff in LA's zone, they don't retreat right away, whereas LA loses a faceoff and the defensemen are already holding the goalie's hand back in their own end. Not winning any battles and not showing a ton of heart. If you have a struggling defense, you have to just go on the attack. It's like in football when you can't pass block and your QB is getting wrecked, you have to call some run plays that are really simple and let your guys go hit someone and go on the offensive.

I think lines for 3rd will get shifted a lot. I'd throw Grundstrom or Iafallo with Kempe and Kopitar to start.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Kempe
Moore-Danault-Arviddson
Grundstrom-Villardi-Fiala
Byfield-Kupari-JAD

and your battles have to be won on the 1st and 3rd lines, and then hopefully draw some Power plays of your own.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice PP Kings. Need that sense of urgency that winners have, that this team doesn't seem to have. Outnumbered all over the ice. All 4 Oilers on the boards and winning every battle. Fiala needs to play through that and keep going. How do you get outnumbered on battles while on the PP?

Nice whiff Copley...should make Game 6 decision pretty easy.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only took 3 months 4 days with an actual goalie in net!

=)~~

These guys look like they are done with the series and have raised the white flag. Pathetic showing.