• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Kings @ McRef 2023 WCQF G5

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go, working throughout the day and counting down the minutes.

Kings need to bring their A game and play a disciplined, solid road game. Nothing flashy, just get it done and come back to LA with an opportunity to close the series out on home ice. If this goes to G7 in Edmonton, I don't like those chances at all. Tonight is the series IMO.

T-minus 7:55, let go Kings!

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can hope they pull out a win, i really dont like the oilers or many of their fans for some reason. Dont play to lose

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent been to games at staples in long awhile....any truth to this you guys think?

Attachments

• img_2124.png
    img_2124.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can hope they pull out a win, i really dont like the oilers or many of their fans for some reason. Dont play to lose

The Kings and Oilers have a deep history, it's been a long time since its ratcheted up to this level however. The old Smythe Division battles of the late 80s/early 90s were epic. Guys who have played for both teams, first round upsets, crazy times. You can add Calgary to that list too.

These two recent playoff runs meeting each other have definitely lit that fire again. The difference is back then both teams were seen as equals, now the Oilers are looked at as contenders while LA hasn't reached that status yet.

The issue is the sense of entitlement that has gone to their fans heads as well as their players, which is hilarious considering McLord has never won a team award, all individual ones. The personnel assembled has a bit of that attitude, like how whenever he is hit or checked or whatever his immediate response is to look at the ref and ask for a call. It's pathetic.

I never had anything against them or their fans until season, for a team that hasn't won anything besides draft lotteries in the last 30 years they sure act like multiple Cup winners as recent as 2022.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I havent been to games at staples in long awhile....any truth to this you guys think?

I just went to the Vancouver game on March 18, didn't experience or see anything of the sort. Playoffs are a different animal though, the intensity picks up from the game to the fans.

The only issue I ever experienced was 2001 in the Detroit series where some Wing Nut pushed me in the back on the way out so I kicked him down the stairs and he ended up with a busted face. Buddy was with me and grabbed my jersey and got me out of there ASAP but hey, you asked for it dude. Happy to deliver, glad your face matched your jersey color. Normally not my deal however, especially nowadays being so much older. This guy was sitting right by me during the game and we had some choice words and it escalated, but it was totally random he ended up behind me as we're leaving the game.

The animosity level reminds me of that time between these two teams so I can see this happening, although it's not right. I certainly hope it's limited to a bunch of knuckleheads, every fanbase has them

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to pass on some advice a wise man once told me when I was 23 - don't ever get married, don't ever have kids. Obviously I blew that second part out of the water having 4 kids, but I digress.

Ms. Puck II so conveniently dropped me a text a little while ago that tonight at 6pm is a Zoom meeting from her school discussing their 8th grade trip to Washington DC next year. She had this flyer in her backpack for over a week.

Thanks kid, this better not bleed over into 630 game time.

=)~~

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im skeptical it happened...who spits on a kid and gets away with it? Sports fans are rabid animals and would not let my young kid wander to a bathroom without me....

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker in for edler?

Not sure thats the right move

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am super skeptical of that story about the little girl. I saw people spreading the story but Kings fans aren't really like that. The ones who go to games at least. And to attack a little girl is like next level and I doubt people would stand around and allow that, regardless of jersey. Not saying there aren't toxic fans in every base, but that's such another level that I find it hard to believe.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edmonton super aggressive again. Would love the Kings to burn them or match their energy a little more. Their defense pinch every time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings 4th line getting worked again. They seem to get worked every shift they're out there and they just took that first penalty. Wondering why Kaliyev would be a worse choice?

Kupari and Grundstrom aren't rookies, so I'd hope they could play better than they are. Feels like it's a confidence thing, where Edmonton sees them out there and just attacks, and then these guys are super hesitant too.

Korpisalo already with a few huge saves.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can they hire a high school coach to teach them the penalty kill. At least Jamie Kompon had an OK penalty kill when he coached special teams

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp. Kings might have to try to win this 9-8 because Edmonton is sending everyone.

I think Byfield messed up on both Edmonton 2nd and 3rd goals.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker in for edler?

Not sure thats the right move

Mentioned that in the G4 thread, I think it's a smart move. Edler is just too slow to keep up with them, plus being at home seeing him out there you know Edmonton will throw one of McDavid, Draisaitl or both having last line change especially on an OZ faceoff.

The Kings play man coverage in their defensive zone, you'll see defensemen at their own blue line staying with an opposing player and rotating back into defensive position passing that player off to a forward and picking up another player headed to tye net. Edler would be absolute toast out there tonight because of last line change.

Walker was working his way into a T4 defender IMO prior to his blown knee last season, he has some smarts and skill about him and is a lot more physical than his size.

He won't be back to 100% until next season most likely, but I think he was inserted for his speed and to give a different look on the 3D. That 3D with Durzi and Edler are getting killed.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the way they played, being down by one is better than it should be

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings 4th line getting worked again. They seem to get worked every shift they're out there and they just took that first penalty. Wondering why Kaliyev would be a worse choice?

Yes, he would be. He has completed disappeared. He got his shot early in the series and was either a negative or a nonfactor. He needs to be benched the rest of this series barring injury and I fully believe has worked his way into tradeable asset territory.

The last image I have of him is taking a one timer and he missed the far side so badly the puck almost hit the straight panes of glass missing the corner entirely.

Don't want to see him anymore in the series at all, he is a liability.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whelp. Kings might have to try to win this 9-8 because Edmonton is sending everyone.

This reeks of the 9-8 game that got Petersen sent to Ontario. The Kings do not have the guns to get into a track meet but if the Oilers will be that aggressive take advantage of it and try and get some outnumbered attacks.

I think Byfield messed up on both Edmonton 2nd and 3rd goals.

He sure did, blew coverage on both goals. Worked his way off the first line and is now with Vilardi and Fiala.

I was just messing around a few weeks ago with this but after those brain farts that ended up in the net...

Attachments

• 20230417_211422.png
    20230417_211422.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 4

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am super skeptical of that story about the little girl. I saw people spreading the story but Kings fans aren't really like that. The ones who go to games at least. And to attack a little girl is like next level and I doubt people would stand around and allow that, regardless of jersey. Not saying there aren't toxic fans in every base, but that's such another level that I find it hard to believe.

100%, no way I'd let a kid get harassed like that Oiler fan or not. I don't think most people would, especially parents.