• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kings Make a Move

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a pretty big hual just to unload cap. Helge Grans and the 2nd were the sweetener so that they could unload Petersen and Walker.

That article says Gavrikov resigning expected and they'd be out on any major goaltenders now. I would really bet LA is not comfortable with Copley #1 and then backup behind him. I could see LA still making some moves.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big mistake giving Petersen that contract to begin with, costs a 2nd and a promising prospect to get out of it.

I will give Blake props for unloading him before that $4 million bonus was due on July 1 and no idea how he convinced the Flyers to take that on let alone Petersen himself, I don't ever see that guy being a number one and never did in LA. His play steadily declined and it was very apparent in mid/late 2021 he regressed yet 5 months later he gets a $15 million deal.

I don't think a big name is in the cards unless guys like Iaffalo, Moore or Arvidsson are moved. Goalie market isn't too strong, Korpisalo doesn't have a lot of leverage so maybe a slight bump in pay and a 2 year deal or something to let Portillo develop his game and see if he has number one potential in the mean time.

There are UFAs available, but nothing really that'll make me comfortable. Maybe Vladar, he has shown glimpses of being a 1A for extended stretches of time. May be worth a flyer if Korpisalo can't be signed.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing Juuse Saros and Hellebuyck linked to LA. I'd personally skip Hellebuyck because he has one year left at a heft $6mil+ and the word he wants a bump to $8mil/year. Saros is super intriguing. But I think he costs Arvidsson, Durzi, and maybe 2 Firsts. Kings don't have a first, so that's no first round picks for 3 years. BUT, he's locked in at $5mil/year for two more years and he's really elite. In the conversation for top 5 goalie.

But cap situation sits at $7mil and Kings need to resign Villardi and Kupari. So someone has to move out if LA wants a bigger name goalie. Sounds like Clarke is coming in, and if you move Durzi, you really need someone like Spence to also step in. I know Calgary is shopping Noah Hannifin, so it'd be nice to get someone like that.

If LA could find a way to get Saros and McDonagh from Nashville, I think they'd be a contender. That's like $11mil though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also keep seeing rumors LA will make a run at Pierre Luc-Dubois, but I don't know what that really does for LA or how that works with the cap. Worst kept secret in hockey is that dude thinks crazy highly of himself and will eventually be with Montreal.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PLD is an interesting situation for a few reasons. He's a legitimate 1C, tons of talent but the attitude is a concern. I remember his last shift as a BJ, it's all over the interwebz and it's comical and disgusting at the same time. He was traded to Winnipeg like a day later or something.

But he also had Tortorella as a coach, and tons of players have expressed their dislike of him over the last 20+ years, and the Winnipeg situation is toxic overall since basically Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Wheeler et al seem to want out. Wheeler blasted Bowness after Bowness essentially said there is a culture/loser mentality prevalent in Winnipeg, but he also stripped Wheeler of the C this season too so its hard to pin point what the issue with PLD is - a primadonna attitude or the franchise environments he's been in.

The issue is also money, he will be getting between $8-9 million on his next contract me thinks, which could work with Kopitar's $10 million hit coming off the books next summer. I expect Kopitar to take short term/lower dollar contracts here on out and his career winds down, somewhere in the 2 year/$9-10 million range. So there is some cap flexibility coming up.

But that also raises a concern for me in terms of drafting and development. When Copley was signed, to me that was a clear indication brass did not feel comfortable with Petersen taking over the number one. Playoffs 2022 Quick was still good apart from the G2 and G3 blowouts so he wasn't the issue. I don't think anyone saw Quick's play falling off a cliff so drastically this year, so that leaves Petersen as the focal point.

I fully believe Blake and Co had internal discussions that Petersen wasn't going to be a number one even if it wasn't discussed publicly, they already realized they made a 3 year/$15 million mistake and Copley was brought on as insurance. And boy did they need to make a claim on that policy with Petersen screwing the pooch as he did and Quick's unexpected downfall. The Kings don't make the POs without Copley, and they're probably looking at a top 10 draft pick with the Quick/Petersen tandem.

My point for all that: the Kings are not confident one of the gazillion Cs they've drafted the last 5-7 years are legitimate 1C replacements for Kopitar. That includes Turcotte, Byfield, Kupari, Vilardi, you name it and they are being forced to look outside the organization yet again (look at this roster; a good chunk of players were traded for or UFA signings. Not good for long term success).

They wouldn't be considering someone like PLD if they were sure, which brings me back to scouting and development. They have not drafted a solid player in some time.

Last edited:

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news LA Live to be named Peacock something
I don’t anticipate a lot of childish joke
Nope

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap situation is something I am having a really hard time wrapping my head around. Kings have $7mil left and need to sign Villardi and Kupari, and need to get a goalie. Not just a goalie either, a #1, which is a PROBLEM.

This is why I think LA is going to make a big trade still, and with that, some cap has to exit. I think of the 3, Trevor Moore/Iafallo/Arvidsson (All making roughtly $4mil) they will move Arvidsson. They originally said the Peterson trade was to free up cap to protect those 3 from being traded, but with the immediate signing of Gavrikov on such a steep hit, I think one of those guys has to still be on the move. I think Arvidsson has only one year left on his deal, he is the oldest, and he'll actually bring back the biggest return. He actually played really well in the playoffs against Edmonton, and I know this was a joke before, but if he buries on of his breakaways, maybe Kings win that series, or push it to 7.

The bottom line is a decent to good roster player has be moved out, the money needs to be spent on a goaltender, and a few of these younger guys just has to step in a be a factor. On the backend, if they move Durzi, you need Brandt Clarke and probably another young'n to step in. Like a Jordan Spence or Bjornot. Up front, really need Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Kaliyev, SOMEONE to push to be in the top 6. Blake Lizzotte needs play more a 4th line role, but no one has really taken that 3C from him, so it remains as is.

I don't think PLD is a legit #1 C. I think he's a 2C, but they are courting him like a 1C. The news I heard today was that Villardi would be the main piece going to Edmonton, which kinda stinks, but Villardi and PLD are only a year or two apart. PLD is only 24. The article I read today was saying Kopitar will likely take a pay cut next year, yes, but that Danault is also turning 30, so your 2 centers are not that young.

Anyway, I'd move someone for cap, get a goalie, and force the younger dudes into more prominent positions. Kings will either sink or swim with that, but they are sort of out of options. Heading into the year with Copley #1 and who knows at #2, I just don't think will work.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said, they said NHL is still paying back the Covid debt, and that's why cap only went up $1mil, but heading into next year (Year after this next one) the cap should jump at least $5mil. So Kopitar price reduction and increased cap, the Kings could really be a in decent spot a year from now.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that being said, they said NHL is still paying back the Covid debt, and that's why cap only went up $1mil, but heading into next year (Year after this next one) the cap should jump at least $5mil. So Kopitar price reduction and increased cap, the Kings could really be a in decent spot a year from now.
Not without a tv deal for a third of the teams. Diamond (Ballys) might lose MLB and NHL in the bankruptcy. I could see the cap stay flat for a while. And if the NHL controls the TV and streaming really rights I can see NHLPA getting upset that revenues will get hidden.
It could be a rocky few years