• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ken Norton Jr. to the Raiders

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When these players played JV ball as 9th graders they learned the snap count.
Then College.
Then the pro's for years.
It is not the coach.
Holding? Yes. Snap count? No.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of that is just lack of comparative talent on the line and how much of that is Cable? The only high draft pick that has proven to truly be worth his draft value to proven commodity was Unger, and they otherwise wait to the last rounds to fill organizational depth as opposed to seeing an apparent need and acting accordingly. To Cable's defense (I can't believe I'm even saying this), SEA's line is at best, a banged up Okung, and slowly progressing Carpenter, Unger is Unger...when healthy, what seems to be a turnstile at times over the last three seasons at the other guard position, and a rookie RT that draftniks were surprised at how high he went relative to his measurables and tape weaknesses. IMO I wasn't very impressed with Britt's ability to handle speed rushers off the edge and he just seemed to lack athleticism or the feet to be able to ever be anything better then average, but I also am not a fan of the team and follow nearly as closely as some of these guys.

I'm not saying that Cable doesn't need to be canned, I'm just saying that false start and holding penalties can't be pinned on the only person not suiting up and actually playing the game. You also have to have the talent and the Hawks for whatever reason, haven't cracked that draft code. False starts IMO is lack of focus or at best confusion. Holding penalties is mostly for good rush moves and also being common on guys that just aren't athletic enough to do their job effectively at this level. That has more to do with player then coach.

Cable has had a lot of input on which linemen he wants in the draft. In 2011 Carpentar and Moffitt were hand selected by Cable, same can be said of Britt. So if the talent isn't there, it's on him. In his defense, I'll say that the OL has been snake bit by injuries for years and years and Cable does a good job plugging in players that were drafted at the bottom of the draft. I just wish the Seahawks would do without his input when it comes to the draft. He drafts the same type every time, big road graders with a nasty streak, never mind that they are crap at pass blocking and some times not really that great at run blocking, despite being big guys with a mean streak.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of that is just lack of comparative talent on the line and how much of that is Cable? The only high draft pick that has proven to truly be worth his draft value to proven commodity was Unger, and they otherwise wait to the last rounds to fill organizational depth as opposed to seeing an apparent need and acting accordingly. To Cable's defense (I can't believe I'm even saying this), SEA's line is at best, a banged up Okung, and slowly progressing Carpenter, Unger is Unger...when healthy, what seems to be a turnstile at times over the last three seasons at the other guard position, and a rookie RT that draftniks were surprised at how high he went relative to his measurables and tape weaknesses. IMO I wasn't very impressed with Britt's ability to handle speed rushers off the edge and he just seemed to lack athleticism or the feet to be able to ever be anything better then average, but I also am not a fan of the team and follow nearly as closely as some of these guys.

I'm not saying that Cable doesn't need to be canned, I'm just saying that false start and holding penalties can't be pinned on the only person not suiting up and actually playing the game. You also have to have the talent and the Hawks for whatever reason, haven't cracked that draft code. False starts IMO is lack of focus or at best confusion. Holding penalties is mostly for good rush moves and also being common on guys that just aren't athletic enough to do their job effectively at this level. That has more to do with player then coach.

I've posted about this before and was able to dig up my post from when we were discussing this on the Seahawks board.

"2008 NFL Team Penalty Statistics - The Football Database

In 2008, 2009, and 2010 when Cable was the head coach the Raiders they were 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in the NFL in penalties respectively. That's right, they got worse every year he was there. In 2011 he gets hired by Seattle and they immediately jump to 2nd overall in total penalties including leading the league in false starts and being in the top five in false starts every year since.

His teams may be physical and tough in the running game, but in every other aspects his guys are undisciplined and make bone head mistakes. I'm really hoping Bevell gets a head coaching position somewhere else and that he takes Cable with him. "

The last line is very likely not happening anytime soon with all the coaches they have already had take off this offseason.