• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kawhi wants out of San Antonio

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think they would have done the same with Kyrie?
I absolutely think they would have tried this on Kyrie... they would rightly go after whoever was the best match up.
tlance said:
Rozier is a better defender than Kyrie. But any 6'3" player on LeBron is a matchup LeBron is going to win.
Yes, as a broad statement Rozier is a better defender than Kyrie... but Rozier's strength is quickness and on-ball D on the perimeter... he was getting beaten up trying to defend the post against guys like Middleton and LeBron.

Kyrie wouldn't have been ideal guarding guys like that in the post either... but he'd likely be a little better than Rozier, who by his own words was "little brothered" down there.
tlance said:
While Kyrie and Hayward aren't horrible defensive liabilities, the issue is that they are taking minutes from legitimately great defenders like Smart.
In total, the +'s clearly outweigh the -'s... and the C's would have options and flexibility in spades.
tlance said:
Smart's contract is a big decision. Ainge might not want to pay $15 million to the 4th or 5th wing on the depth chart, but that is also why I think they need to make a move. Too much depth isn't always good.
Agreed on Smart's contract... I'm hopeful it won't take $15 million per to retain him... we'll see, though.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
happy-fathers-day-2012.jpg

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Patrick Beverly? Lol
What about him?

I'm pretty sure the Clippers would part with anyone and everyone....

But, Beverley doesn't really move the needle because he only has one unguaranteed year remaining on his deal.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the end of The Green Mile.....love this movie.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's going to take a good to great offer.

Which is why I Lmfao evey time someone suggests they will take Deng, Parsons or Noah.

I don't think you could trade #4 for Kawhi straight up...

So, why in the blue hell would they take a horrific contract back as well?

Now, Porzingis?

I bet Pop would do it if the salaries matched.

But, he's not eating Noah to get Porzingis.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the only time I look at Sheridian’s tweets is when it is about Lebron but I could see the Spurs shipping Kawhi to some bottom feeder for players and top 3 pick

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the only time I look at Sheridian’s tweets is when it is about Lebron but I could see the Spurs shipping Kawhi to some bottom feeder for players and top 3 pick

The Cavs? :bolt:

:peep:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Kyrie and Hayward are on a different plane than Smart and Baynes... but I'll address this.
  • I like Baynes. He's basketball smart and knows how to play team defense... his head often makes up for what he lacks in lateral quickness. I hope the C's retain him. But if they don't, I'm comforted with Daniel Theis coming back... he proved to be serviceable last season and should offset this loss.
  • Smart is a different matter. I love Smart... he is an unique player and this is certainly a loss that would be felt if it happened. On this front, though... I have decent hope the C's won't lose him next season. Smart is a RFA... and to pry him away from the C's a team is likely going to have to overspend. The way teams have been burned in recent years (the NY Knicks come to mind) overspending on non-star players in these sort of situations... I just doubt that happens. If you were a GM, would you overspend for Marcus Smart?

Again... adding 2 all stars... young players with another year of NBA work... they have a bedrock of defense... they match up well against GS...

... I don't think I'm crazy.
Smart is a niche player.

He's got some skill.

But, like Evan Turner, Lance Stephenson maybe even Biyombo a little bit, the system matters.

Put him on another team, he's likely not to be as much of a contributor.

See Turner when he left the Celtics and Stephenson outside of Indy.

I also put Draymond Green or Deandre Jordan the last few years for Clippers in that category as well.

Is Deandre a max player?

Hell no.

But, he was a max player for the Clippers when we had Blake, Paul and Crawford.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again... adding 2 all stars... young players with another year of NBA work... they have a bedrock of defense... they match up well against GS...

... I don't think I'm crazy.

Well so far your only ally in this argument is @LogicMan. I don't think you will find many Celtics fans that agree with you.

If the Celtics get Kawhi or Lebron, then that's a different matter.

Ultimately the Celtics, as constructed, will always be a really good team that can't beat the great teams because the great teams have great players that take over the game.

To be fair, it is possible that Tatum will become a great player. Less so Brown but he could as well and that would change things.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart is a niche player.

He's got some skill.

But, like Evan Turner, Lance Stephenson maybe even Biyombo a little bit, the system matters.

Put him on another team, he's likely not to be as much of a contributor.

See Turner when he left the Celtics and Stephenson outside of Indy.

I also put Draymond Green or Deandre Jordan the last few years for Clippers in that category as well.

Is Deandre a max player?

Hell no.

But, he was a max player for the Clippers when we had Blake, Paul and Crawford.

I tend to agree. But I do think that Smart was the heart and soul of the Celtics in the playoffs this year. Max effort which was a real difference maker.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the end of The Green Mile.....love this movie.
I loved this movie too but it's too bad an innocent man had to die.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

No it isn't.

This roster has the look of a team that will perennially be top 3 or 4, but never win.

Been a bunch of replies since you made this post, I didn't read them all so you probably already explained yourself, but I don't get at all why you're so down on Boston. A healthy Boston team can absolutely win the title. Kyrie and Hayward make a big difference. Brad Stevens is a fucking genius. If the healthy, they might not have beaten the Warriors THIS season, but I'd say they could have beaten Houston who almost got there themselves. And in the coming years (next 2 to 3), as Brown, Tatum etc get better, the gap between them and the Dubs gets smaller and smaller. It gets drastically smaller if GS can't replenish its bench which I think is a real possibility that could be a big problem for them. Livingston spent the better part of this year looking washed. Iggy is getting old and more injury prone as well. Miss on their replacements and even though they have tons of talent in their big 4, they're under tremendous strain which leads to all kinds of vulnerability. Don't let the 2018 result fool you. The Warriors are closer to the rest of the teams at the top of the pack than you think. You're really undervaluing Boston

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been a bunch of replies since you made this post, I didn't read them all so you probably already explained yourself, but I don't get at all why you're so down on Boston. A healthy Boston team can absolutely win the title. Kyrie and Hayward make a big difference. Brad Stevens is a fucking genius. If the healthy, they might not have beaten the Warriors THIS season, but I'd say they could have beaten Houston who almost got there themselves. And in the coming years (next 2 to 3), as Brown, Tatum etc get better, the gap between them and the Dubs gets smaller and smaller. It gets drastically smaller if GS can't replenish its bench which I think is a real possibility that could be a big problem for them. Livingston spent the better part of this year looking washed. Iggy is getting old and more injury prone as well. Miss on their replacements and even though they have tons of talent in their big 4, they're under tremendous strain which leads to all kinds of vulnerability. Don't let the 2018 result fool you. The Warriors are closer to the rest of the teams at the top of the pack than you think. You're really undervaluing Boston

There will always be a super team out there and Boston isn't one. They are merely very good. And Golden State is not close to the other top teams. Maybe they will be in 2 years, but the only thing stopping them is injury (Iggy almost did this year) or another super team.

I also think Boston vastly overachieved this year in the playoffs.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will always be a super team out there and Boston isn't one. They are merely very good. And Golden State is not close to the other top teams. Maybe they will be in 2 years, but the only thing stopping them is injury (Iggy almost did this year) or another super team.

I also think Boston vastly overachieved this year in the playoffs.

Well no shit they overachieved this year in the playoffs. They didn't have their two best players and had others dinged up throughout.

As for Golden St, re-read what you said. "Maybe they will be in 2 years". That's the point Gman and I are talking about. 2 years isn't THAT long of a time. Boston has the pieces to be there in that timeframe right now. If they give up a bunch for Kawhi and both he and Kyrie leave next summer, they've set themselves back in a major way. Even if GS is as unbeatable as you think, they're still there within two years if they just make a conservative offer. That's why its important for them to either A) get a guarantee from one of those players or B) Make as small an offer as possible. Boston is close. Way closer than you're giving them credit for. Given their circumstances, you just can't recklessly swing for the fences because you think GS is unstoppable and have to match them move for move. Superman has kryptonite. So do superteams.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well so far your only ally in this argument is @LogicMan. I don't think you will find many Celtics fans that agree with you.
The only thing that this proves is that genius is rarely appreciated in its time. ;)

---------

On serious note, you may be embarrassingly wrong... because @msgkings322 scored a bunch of my posts "Winner" back there.

That would be 3... and, as we all know, 3 is a crowd.