• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kadri's New Contract

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs fans (and others),

What is your opinion of Nazem Kadri's 6 year $27M contract extension?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no fan of Kadri, but I think it's a pretty good deal that Louie Lams made in that the dollar amts don't make it too difficult to move Kadri down the road if he's not going to be part of the future plans of the Leafs.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To much of a contract length, salary seems right though.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems pretty decent to me. I guess he's a risk on that much term because he keeps acting like a shithead, which would make him undesirable, but outside of that it's pretty good.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You give on A to gain on B. It probably took an extra year to keep the AAV below 5 and that's fine. He'll be 31 when it ends.

As a Leafs fan, are you pleased that you've got Kadri on the team long term?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ambivalent. He's not my favourite player by a long shot but I really can't complain about that contract. I like that they can still trade him if the need arises.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not convinced anyone truly expects Kadri there long term. The no move kicks in after a year. I don't think there's any way he does enough this season to earn the Leafs wanting to hold onto him for 5 more afterward.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced anyone truly expects Kadri there long term. The no move kicks in after a year. I don't think there's any way he does enough this season to earn the Leafs wanting to hold onto him for 5 more afterward.
There are 4 different angles here. 1st is if they get Matthews and sign Stamkos. He's instantly overkill in that scenario and probably has to be traded at some point before the next draft.

2nd is if they get one or the other and Nylander or Marner can play centre. If that's the case, he's probably overkill.

3rd is if they get one or the other and neither Nylander or Marner can play centre. Kadri becomes pretty indispensable in that case.

4th is if they get neither and the Leafs are bottom feeders again. I think the scenario there would depend on just how high or low his trade value is.

One thing today proved for sure is that Babcock and Lou weren't bullshitting when they said throughout the season how much they liked the way Kadri's game had evolved.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing today proved for sure is that Babcock and Lou weren't bullshitting when they said throughout the season how much they liked the way Kadri's game had evolved.

Not to impugn the hockey sense of Lou or Babcock, but I will share the cautionary tale of the fact that JD and Jarmo LOVED the "new" Jared Boll after their first season. :)

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 4 different angles here. 1st is if they get Matthews and sign Stamkos. He's instantly overkill in that scenario and probably has to be traded at some point before the next draft.

2nd is if they get one or the other and Nylander or Marner can play centre. If that's the case, he's probably overkill.

3rd is if they get one or the other and neither Nylander or Marner can play centre. Kadri becomes pretty indispensable in that case.

4th is if they get neither and the Leafs are bottom feeders again. I think the scenario there would depend on just how high or low his trade value is.

Oh no, we have too many talented centres!!!

Said no one who was running a team, ever. :wink:

Even with Stamkos and Matthews on the roster next year he fits just fine. Stamkos does his thing on the 1st line, Kadri plays the tough minutes like he did this year, Matthews eases into the league crushing 3rd and 4th lines in a sheltered role and Nylander plays on the wing.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, we have too many talented centres!!!

Said no one who was running a team, ever. :wink:

Even with Stamkos and Matthews on the roster next year he fits just fine. Stamkos does his thing on the first line, Kadri plays the tough minutes like he did this year, Matthews eases into the league crushing 3rd and 4th lines in a sheltered role and Nylander plays on the wing.
Never said they'd trade him prior to next season.

And said no one ever because they realize that moving one could net you quite the haul in a trade, no? He isn't going anywhere until next summer at the earliest, but if there's a good deal to be made with Kadri as a key part of it and the Leafs have Stamkos and Matthews on the roster I don't think there would be any hesitation at all on the part of Lou Lamoriello to pull the trigger. Kadri would be far from the best player he's traded.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said they'd trade him prior to next season.

And said no one ever because they realize that moving one could net you quite the haul in a trade, no? He isn't going anywhere until next summer at the earliest, but if there's a good deal to be made with Kadri as a key part of it and the Leafs have Stamkos and Matthews on the roster I don't think there would be any hesitation at all on the part of Lou Lamoriello to pull the trigger. Kadri would be far from the best player he's traded.

I'm not saying that trading him is a non starter for me, not even close. I'm merely saying that having too many talented centres is a "problem" that any team would love to have to work around.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that trading him is a non starter for me, not even close. I'm merely saying that having too many talented centres is a "problem" that any team would love to have to work around.

Perhaps, but if you are paying your 3rd of 4th line centre Kadri money, you may run into cap issues down the road.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but if you are paying your 3rd of 4th line centre Kadri money, you may run into cap issues down the road.

I would love to be paying my 4th line winger "only" Kadri money.

:L

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda thought Kadri being traded was inevitable, and this contract certainly doesn't hinder that. Honestly it may help it, because I think it's very fair.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money doesn't bother me as much as the length of the contract. 6 years is to long. 4 would have been better. I can't believe JT's cap hit is only going to be 1M more per year than Kadri's for the next 2 years.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money doesn't bother me as much as the length of the contract. 6 years is to long. 4 would have been better. I can't believe JT's cap hit is only going to be 1M more per year than Kadri's for the next 2 years.

Tavares is on the most team friendly contract there is for a center in this league. The slim difference is a reflection of how good that deal is, not the value of Kadri.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's a good thing the Isles used all that extra cap space they aren't spending on Tavares to go out and surround him with similar talent.

Oh wait...

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's a good thing the Isles used all that extra cap space they aren't spending on Tavares to go out and surround him with similar talent.

Oh wait...

100pts this season. Made the playoffs. We'll see what happens. It's not like the go for it every year Rangers have won a Cup lately.