• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Justin Morneau Available?

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now on LaHair:
Prior to the 2012 season, Cubs manager Dale Sveum released a statement saying that Anthony Rizzo will start the season in Triple-A Iowa, making LaHair the every day first baseman. Following Rizzo's callup to the majors, LaHair was moved to Right field[6] On July 1st 2012, Lahair was named to the NL All Star team as a reserve at first base, It was his first and so far only selection

I will fix that for him

"his first and last selection.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ryan Garko actually made it back to baseball. After being cut by the Rangers in 2010 he went to Korea. Was terrible there then played in the Independent League where he played very well. Actually now plays for the Rays AA team

We miss you Garko! Ok not really but at least I can still remember that trade and your name

I can't think of Garko without thinking of how upset eljimador got when the Giants released him. He got all over Bochy and Sabean for that.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Criticizing Bochy and Sabean?!? For all they have done for this team? The ingrate! Ban worthy, if you ask me.

Hey, hey, hey.....ElJ still is current on his monthly dues. Let's not go saying things we can't take back Stokesy. I knew I should have removed you from the Hoopola Recruiting/Marketing role. :L

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of Garko without thinking of how upset eljimador got when the Giants released him. He got all over Bochy and Sabean for that.

If I recall correctly, I believe his beef was more along the lines of, "Then why did you trade for him in the first place?!" I think he wanted more moves that had the future in mind, especially since everything was building toward the good amount of home-grown talent that we are currently enjoying. I could certainly be wrong, though. He could have just hated Ishikawa. ;)

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If I recall correctly, I believe his beef was more along the lines of, "Then why did you trade for him in the first place?!" I think he wanted more moves that had the future in mind, especially since everything was building toward the good amount of home-grown talent that we are currently enjoying. I could certainly be wrong, though. He could have just hated Ishikawa. ;)

He wanted an ishi-garko platoon, I think. And they traded for him, as I explained at the time, for the playoff push in 2009 - a RHH bench bat was a big hole in 2009. But, I think once they got a good look at him in the field, his bat wasn't worth the give up on D.

Anyway, this fangraph article was typical of the lunatic fringe outrage of the time:

This move comes down to two things. Either Sabean and company have absolutely no plan to speak of, or this was their plan all along: shipping off their ninth best prospect – a left-handed starting pitcher with an impressive performance in a hitter-friendly league – for what amounts to a month of plate appearances. I’m not sure which should terrify Giants fans more, but I’m leaning towards the latter. At least the promise of no plan is exciting and leads to unpredictably and spontaneous bouts of anger. That beats the heck out of a constant dull roar of anger because your favorite team’s front office considers long-term potential for extremely short-term gains an equal trade.

To which eljim commented:

I’ll go against the grain and say that the dumber move was not trading for Garko but non-tendering him.

and a reasonable take was given by cpebbles :
Just to echo what many are saying here, Garko is replacement-level or close to it at 1B, so while this can serve to remind us of the terrible trade Sabean made for him, non-tendering him isn’t a terrible move and probably isn’t even a bad one.

Last edited by a moderator: