• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Just a thought....

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something a while back on the Caps message board on the Caps site. Mostly everything is "we NEED to make moves and now damnit", "Fire GMGM and Bruce", or "Gosh this team stinks". I really don't know why I bother even going to it, but I guess I'm just a little interested in seeing how other Caps fans think, even the less than levelheaded ones.

Anyway, I read this one guys comment, and basicly it was alot of we need to make a move blah blah blah crap. But he also made a point which I found a little interesting. As common knowlage to the DC area, Ted Leonsis is now the majority owner of the Wizards now.

His point was that he would focus more of his money and time with the Wiz. I personaly don't think that will happen, but it is a possibility. You have to spend money to make money, and the money he were to spen with the Wiz would in theory be a greater payback because of the more growth of possible payback (if that makes sense?). I don't see it happening, but it is possible. Just something that made me go hmmmm....

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As common knowlage to the DC area, Ted Leonsis is now the majority owner of the Wizards now.

His point was that he would focus more of his money and time with the Wiz. I personaly don't think that will happen, but it is a possibility.

Okay, for starters, as of right now, the Caps sell out every game. The Wiz do not. Both are on Comcast and it was the Capitals, not the Wizards, that set Comcast's record for highest sports broadcast rating this past year. So, just on the money side of things, there is no way that right now you would find the Wiz to be more valuable than the Caps, save maybe some TV revenue sharing he gets from the NBA, which isn't something you work for as an individual owner.

That said, there IS probably more work to be done as he aclimates himself to putting together promotions, ticket packages, and a plan for the future for the Wiz.

But, as to TIME, Ted is an OWNER, not the general manager or a coach. He doesn't scout players, he doesn't coach the team, and he doesn't call up or send down players. And I'm sure if McPhee is making a major decision, Ted won't tell him he's too busy with the Wizards to have a meeting. If there is one thing Ted does well as an owner, it's delegate. He has crafted a vision and an outline, the GM is seeing it through, and the coach/players have to make it happen. So I don't think time is an issue there. He has the people he wants in place.

As to MONEY, the Caps have been willing to spend and can only spend up to the salary cap. There is no issue of not spending enough because of the Wizards, only an issue of how to not spend too much and go over the cap.

In sum, I don't see how Leonsis owning the Wizards is a problem at all. The most important part of all this for the Caps is that Ted owns the building, which will make every game more profitable for the hockey club as he now gets revenue from the food and some other misc. stuff.