• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jurgen Klinsmann agrees to 4 year extension with USMNT

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CHICAGO (Dec. 12, 2013) – The U.S. Soccer Federation and Jurgen Klinsmann have agreed to a four-year contract extension that will keep the former World Cup champion in his role as head coach of the U.S. Men’s National Team through 2018. As part of the new deal, Klinsmann also becomes the Technical Director for U.S. Soccer. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“One of the reasons we hired Jurgen as our head coach was to advance the program forward and we’ve seen the initial stages of that happening on the field and also off the field in various areas,” said U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati. “In the past two years he has built a strong foundation from the senior team down to the youth teams and we want to continue to build upon that success.”

Klinsmann has been at the helm for more than two years, compiling an overall record of 27-10-7. In 2013, he led the U.S. to one of the most successful years in MNT history, highlighted by the first place finish in CONCACAF qualifying for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. The team captured its fifth Gold Cup title, winning all six matches en route to the championship. The USA defeated No. 2-ranked Germany and also set single year records for wins (16), winning percentage (.761), and consecutive wins (12).

View Klinsmann’s Coaching Accomplishments with MNT
“I am very fortunate to continue the work we started more than two and half years ago,” said Klinsmann. “It’s exciting to see the progress we have made, and we continue to make improvements on all fronts. The role of Technical Director is a huge challenge and also a huge opportunity as we look to keep connecting the dots to the Youth National Teams, Coaching Education, the Development Academy and the grassroots efforts in this country. These are fascinating topics and I am excited work with so many talented people and hear fresh ideas. For sure it means more work, but also many more fulfilling opportunities.”

Good to hear. He's doing an outstanding job.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems to get how soccer works in the USA and how to take it to the next level. I approve!

The real measuring stick will be in how well we do in the Cup next year of course.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember this time last year, 80% of fans hated him.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only grade I would give Leander Schaerlaeckens, Joey Gulino and Joe Lago is a D. Klinsmann has advanced the program. Our players are better and deeper than they were 5 years ago. You can look at every level from the U-17 the USMNT. 8 years in South Africa, the USMNT would not have made it out of the Group of Death like they did in Brazil. Time will tell and the US program is still working to be the next level down from the Brazils and Germanys of the world. But it is a FACT, that the rest of the world does not take the USMNT lightly anymore.

Leander Schaerlaeckens, Joey Gulino and Joe Lago are basically of bunch of talking heads and WONKS on soccer and throw nothing but rocks from the cheap seats.