• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Johnny Manziel passes 1st test with Cleveland Browns

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Manziel spent his first weekend in the NFL hanging around other rookies and unsigned free agents.

He's about to take the field with the bigger boys.

Manziel, who in his coach's estimation had a "positive" rookie minicamp, will practice this week with the club's veteran players, including Brian Hoyer, the quarterback he'll try to unseat as the starter.

First-year coach Mike Pettine made it clear that Manziel and Hoyer realize what's at stake and that their competitive juices are already flowing.

"I don't know if they're going to be sending each other Christmas cards anytime soon," Pettine said. "But they both know they're in it together and they're going to compete. I think they both feel comfortable that, as a staff, we're going to put the best quarterback that puts us in position to win games, we're going to put him out there."

The coach spoke Monday after appearing with Cleveland Indians manager Terry Francona at a Positive Coaching Alliance breakfast at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Pettine reported that Manziel, the uber-hyped former Texas A&M star, succeeded in every aspect of the three-day camp, which was open to the media for only 15 minutes on Saturday as the team tries to curtail "Manziel-mania."

Source: ESPN

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gonna be a dogfight!

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,618.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really cant wait to see Johnny Football out there on Sundays. hope he keeps up the good work

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer deserves a shot first imo. I am thinking with the competition he now faces with Maziel he will perform much better. Then again I would not be shocked if Johnny Football gets the nod on opening day

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoyer deserves a shot first imo. I am thinking with the competition he now faces with Maziel he will perform much better. Then again I would not be shocked if Johnny Football gets the nod on opening day

Unless Manziel pulls a Russell Wilson and just takes the team by storm, I don't see that happening.

I'd bet that Hoyer gets the starting job for at least the first 1/2 of the season. It'll take some time for JFF to adjust to the speed and complexity of the game. At the midway point of the season, I'd bet the coaching staff does an inventory check. If they are competitive, they stick with Hoyer, if they are out of it they start playing Manziel quite a bit.

But really, no one knows how its gonna shake out. JFF is such a wildcard.