• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Johnny Mac disses doubles!

simtast204

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s ditch doubles from pro tennis. After all, it’s populated by guys who aren’t good enough are singles.

Who said that? How about a guy who won 78 doubles titles in his career and beyond being one of the best singles players of his era is widely considered one of the greatest doubles players ever?
John McEnroe.
Speaking to The Times of London, Johnny Mac said: “Doubles — why are we even playing it? … I look at it now and say, ‘What is this?’ I don’t even recognize what this is.
“I don’t know what doubles is bringing to the table. The doubles are the slow guys who aren’t quick enough to play singles. Would it be better off, no disrespect, but would it be better off if there was no doubles at all, and we invest all the money we save elsewhere so that some other guys who never really got into a good position in the sport, end up playing more in singles?”
Got to love that little “no disrespect” part. Yeah, I just said you guys aren’t good enough to make it in singles, but it’s not like I’m dissing you or anything.

:wtf2:!!!!!!!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's right.

I hate playing doubles. Watching it is even more excruciating.

Watching the #1 ranked women's doubles team playlive at the US Open a few years back was BOOOORRRRIIIING.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime someone says "no disrespect", prepare to be disrespected, LOL.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think doubles is a completely different game. It is more about reflexes and angles. Singles more about consistency and conditioning.

Doubles is more fun to play, but singles is more fun to watch.

I also do not think tennis would be as popular without doubles. The majority of recreational players (in the USTA anyway) are doubles players. I think without it, you may not see as many people playing and that is bad for business. Ultimately, ATP and WTA are separate from the USTA and can do what they want, but I still think there is a symbiotic relationship there and alienating them could do more damage than people think.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old people play a lot of doubles, and yeah, they're definitely the target audience for the ATP, WTA, and USTA. It's a country club sport, like golf.

I agree that doubles is indeed a completely different game. Managing half a court is boring to play for me, though it's good for practicing volleys.

I tend to like watching any sport that I actually play, and not like sports I never play. Singles and doubles are indeed separate sports, IMO.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing about McEnroe's statement is that he is not exactly a speed demon. His game was to cut off the court and get to the net. Back in those days players could not hit 100MPH ground strokes from the baseline with the spin to bring it back down on the court. If he tried to play today he would get roasted by even averages players because he is (or was) not fast enough to play his style of play.

simtast204

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think doubles is a completely different game. It is more about reflexes and angles. Singles more about consistency and conditioning.

Doubles is more fun to play, but singles is more fun to watch.

I also do not think tennis would be as popular without doubles. The majority of recreational players (in the USTA anyway) are doubles players. I think without it, you may not see as many people playing and that is bad for business. Ultimately, ATP and WTA are separate from the USTA and can do what they want, but I still think there is a symbiotic relationship there and alienating them could do more damage than people think.

:agree:

Fiero425

JayCium
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing about McEnroe's statement is that he is not exactly a speed demon. His game was to cut off the court and get to the net. Back in those days players could not hit 100MPH ground strokes from the baseline with the spin to bring it back down on the court. If he tried to play today he would get roasted by even averages players because he is (or was) not fast enough to play his style of play.

OMG, my mouth just hung open from seeing the topic to the last post! I'm sorta appalled! He's like a Republican politician who bemoans social programs, taxes, and gov't in general, but abuse the system more than anyone while dumping on it all! Both Martina and John were deemed the best doubles' players of all time and now he tries to downplay the significants of the event? :wtf2: :lame: :noidea: :L :gaah:

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG, my mouth just hung open from seeing the topic to the last post! I'm sorta appalled! He's like a Republican politician who bemoans social programs, taxes, and gov't in general, but abuse the system more than anyone while dumping on it all! Both Martina and John were deemed the best doubles' players of all time and now he tries to downplay the significants of the event? :wtf2: :lame: :noidea: :L :gaah:

This is not the case at all, fiero. That will apply to Andre Agassi, who dissed the game of tennis after benefiting tremendously from it and even getting a wife from it. Johnny Mac was stating the obvious considering how much doubles is now regarded. When it comes to popularity and players' attention compared to singles, it is no contest. That does not diminish the achievement of Martina and Mac himself in that arena. Even without doubles, Martina is regarded as the greatest. Calm down.