• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Johnj Stanton Committed to Upgrading the Team at the Trade Deadline

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL West Notes: Mariners’ Payroll, Wilson, Stubbs, Alvarez
Probably the same thing as above, but I already copied it...lol.

By Steve Adams | May 9, 2016 at 9:03am CDT

The new Mariners ownership group fronted is prepared to follow through on CEO John Stanton’s comments that “payroll matters” (made at the press conference announcing the ownership change) when the trade deadline approaches, reports Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, citing a pair of sources that are “intricately tied to the ownership group.” As Baker writes, former CEO Howard Lincoln was required to run all decisions by representatives from Nintendo of America prior to their sale of the majority stake of the club, and the result was often lackluster acquisitions. Even though the sale won’t be formalized until August, however, Nintendo isn’t likely to intervene with payroll matters at this point, and Lincoln, who remains involved in a lesser role, is said to be on board with increasing the payroll as necessary in order to augment a roster that has produced a first-place record through the season’s first 31 games.

More from the AL West…

• John McGrath of the Tacoma News Tribune argues that Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto should act quickly to sign right-hander Tim Lincecum, who threw for more than 20 teams on Friday of last week. While the Mariners don’t necessarily have an immediate rotation need, McGrath points out that several relievers are on the disabled list and adds that there are ominous signs surrounding Felix Hernandez and Hisashi Iwakuma. Pitching injuries are commonplace throughout the league, of course, and adding Lincecum to serve as the next line of defense while working out of the bullpen in the short-term is a sensible play for Dipoto, McGrath opines. There’s logic behind everything McGrath writes, though if a club comes knocking with a firmer promise of a rotation spot, I can envision Lincecum preferring that even to signing with current first-place team that plays in his home town.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AL West Notes: Mariners’ Payroll, Wilson, Stubbs, Alvarez
Probably the same thing as above, but I already copied it...lol.

By Steve Adams | May 9, 2016 at 9:03am CDT

The new Mariners ownership group fronted is prepared to follow through on CEO John Stanton’s comments that “payroll matters” (made at the press conference announcing the ownership change) when the trade deadline approaches, reports Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times, citing a pair of sources that are “intricately tied to the ownership group.” As Baker writes, former CEO Howard Lincoln was required to run all decisions by representatives from Nintendo of America prior to their sale of the majority stake of the club, and the result was often lackluster acquisitions. Even though the sale won’t be formalized until August, however, Nintendo isn’t likely to intervene with payroll matters at this point, and Lincoln, who remains involved in a lesser role, is said to be on board with increasing the payroll as necessary in order to augment a roster that has produced a first-place record through the season’s first 31 games.

More from the AL West…

• John McGrath of the Tacoma News Tribune argues that Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto should act quickly to sign right-hander Tim Lincecum, who threw for more than 20 teams on Friday of last week. While the Mariners don’t necessarily have an immediate rotation need, McGrath points out that several relievers are on the disabled list and adds that there are ominous signs surrounding Felix Hernandez and Hisashi Iwakuma. Pitching injuries are commonplace throughout the league, of course, and adding Lincecum to serve as the next line of defense while working out of the bullpen in the short-term is a sensible play for Dipoto, McGrath opines. There’s logic behind everything McGrath writes, though if a club comes knocking with a firmer promise of a rotation spot, I can envision Lincecum preferring that even to signing with current first-place team that plays in his home town.

The Mariners definitely need arms, especially the bullpen. Using Joel Peralta as the 8th inning guy is downright frightening. And I think Iwakuma is on the fast track to the disabled list. I don't know if Lincecum is one of the answers or not, but they need to be out looking.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners definitely need arms, especially the bullpen. Using Joel Peralta as the 8th inning guy is downright frightening. And I think Iwakuma is on the fast track to the disabled list. I don't know if Lincecum is one of the answers or not, but they need to be out looking.

Totally agree and please, please, please (Mariners front office) don't let current standings fool you into complacency with the roster. Always try and get better. Paxton is a nice extra insurance piece, but still go looking. Our OF and pitching still need improving. And Peralta scares the heck out of me also late in games.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dipoto will add to the bullpen if given the go ahead. His Angel team was in a similar spot a couple years ago and added Jason Grili and Houston Street to stabilize things. I share the concerns on Kuma 100%. His command is off and not sure it's a simple fix.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully he doesn't do what he did to Anaheim...

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're still missing Furbush and 2 other guys who may have made the bullpen before Peralta, so getting them back may be an upgrade without needing to make a move. The pen has been great considering all the injuries so far.

I'd like to see an actual 1st baseman (10 year pipe dream) and kick Adam Lind to the curb.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're still missing Furbush and 2 other guys who may have made the bullpen before Peralta, so getting them back may be an upgrade without needing to make a move. The pen has been great considering all the injuries so far.

I'd like to see an actual 1st baseman (10 year pipe dream) and kick Adam Lind to the curb.

Furbush threw today and looked good...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the upgrades are already in the system: Paxton and Furbush. I know Paxton is always on the verge of injury, but you never know. We tried out Lincecum the other day, too.

Hard to figure what moves we should/will make in a couple months. Definitely not touching the infield unless we want to dump Lind for a different LH bat. OF seems pretty set as well, though SS has cooled off lately.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the butt of jokes is funny, the Mariners post game is sponsored by Delta but have you seen the Delta commercial, "We are proud to support the successful teams in Seattle like the Seahawks and Sounders" paraphrasing but I still thought if I was in charge of the Mariners I'd feel pissed.